Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot 6 Smartphone - User Review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot 6 Smartphone - User Review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: CoPilot 6 Smartphone - User Review Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comWhilst we've had difficulty obtaining any review copies of CoPilot Live 6, Alex Dixon, our HGV driving forum moderator has been using the Smartphone version for some time and has put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard to be more accurate) and penned a personal review of his experiences.

CoPilot has been a popular solution for some time and the release of version 6 set out to improve the features and user experience. Full UK 7 Digit PostCode, the latest map data, Traffic data and the ability to pass messages to the user are just some of these.

Click here to read the full review...
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review but no info on how up to date the NavTeq maps are compared to CoPilot 5?
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks for the review.

Doesn't anyone else use the feature of selecting destinations from Outlook Contacts? This was once one of my major reasons for choosing CP. The feature worked well through V4.5.

It was broken in CP5: a 'match' could not be found most of the time, especially if the address has any abbreviations like "Rd." in place of "Road". Then the last leg of the trip was routed overland in a straight line.

It got worse in CP6, where it is almost impossible to select a contact from the tiny pull-down list.

Pardon the (repeated) complaint here, but I was hoping this feature would make it into somebody's review.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Alex for giving up his time for this review.

Alex wrote:

Quote:
Copilot now accepts .ov2 and bmp files ... It seems that you can only configure warnings for one or all of the POI files in the custom section...

That also applies to CP 6 for Pocket PC (as with most of what Alex mentions). It's a pity, as using the "old" Data Download Wizard enables the Speed Cameras to be warned separately. This means that the OV2 alternative is not really much of an alternative. It is one of numerous aspects that require thinking through fully next time; i.e. before CP 7 is brought out.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi doug sorry I missed that out to be honest it isn't something I use at all as I've no addresses in my contacts only phone numbers I'm probbably the only person to use contact like this so I based the review on my own use of it

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
BMWBiker
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix, I liked the review anyway, thanks again.

By way of example, I was about to buy a second CP GPS for the girlfriend, who needs GPS but absolutely hates entering data in anything like a computer. The "Navigate to Contacts" feature would be ideal, since I could maintain her address/phone book in the PDA and she could easily 'poke' a name in the address list to go to that house.

Alas, this hasn't worked right since CP 4.5. I am always surprised that no one else has ever noticed or remarked on it.

And I have wondered if the feature works correctly in UK or elsewhere. Not in USA.
Navman sleeve (3400)
Blue Tooth GPS
FredS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We havent got CP6 in Australia yet but it does'nt work 100% in V5 that is for sure. Despite a patch being issed a couple of months ago.

ALK/Travroute over here seem to be the same as you are experianceing in the UK.
The lack of patches to address issues in CoPilot make me very hesitant to recommed the product. It could be great - but there are other more capable programs to compete with and in Australia I fear it will become an also ran.

FredS

MTekk
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FredS wrote:

Quote:
... in Australia I fear [Copilot] will become an also ran.

I think it is that already this side of the Globe, Fred. Some of us have been trying hard to help them do what is needed to improve matters. Sorry to say, though, that the time has passed when it would be anything but extremely naive to believe that anything was going to change.

Crying or Very sad
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
Chorlie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought a new Smartphone last month it came with CP6 for free.

I use TTN5 on a PDA, so wasn't to bothered about it but thought if I set the Speed Cameras up on it could use it more for that, but today I've had no joy with it.

No Icon on the screen and no warning, its setup as per there web site but nothing. Anyone got an idiots guide to how to do this?

Cheers

Paul-m
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: camera warning Reply with quote

I use separate ov2 files for each type of camera and using Text To Speech enables an individual message to be read for each camera type. This also 'speaks' the speed as well.

As long as you choose a 'speakable' file name for each type of camera. e.g. 'Mobile Camera.ov2' and 'Gatso Camera.ov2' it works fine.

Each file you import into CP6 via the direct ov2 method appears as a separate entry in the custom POI section. This allows you to set a watning or not as is your choice.

Under the subsription option on PGPSW it seems you could even have seperate files by Speed. In theory you could then name the files according to speed and CP6 would do that too...

An interesting difference i discovered was that if you use the ALK POI data files for Speed cameras then the warning is different too. I think its shorted and doesnt offer you the option to 'route to POI'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: