Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New download system - Comments and suggestions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New download system - Comments and suggestions
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: New download system - Comments and suggestions Reply with quote

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread, for technical issues / problems with the new system (prefereably not including subscription issues!)

Maybe worth making it a "sticky" topic for a while, mods?

For example, the Firefox compatibility could be discussed here.

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of thoughts...

1) The download does not now have a date in the file name. Makes archiving a bit harder (I created nested folders, but see below)

2) I use the speed-zoned Gatsos and mobiles, but the all-in-one SPECS files.
This now means making two seperate downloads. No problem with that, in itself, but now it seems every download is called "PocketGPSWorldCameras.zip".
That means unless you are aware of it, the second download overwrites the first.
You can either change the name as you save it or create another sub-folder, but it may confuse new users (as well as discourage new users from customising their installations with different numbers of POI categories - although that may be a good thing on reflection! :D ).

3) The alternative bmp files folder doesn't seem available anymore. Could this be added as an option in the box, or mentioned as a seperate link for anybody interested (there have been two requests for the red-circle mobile icons recently).
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made this a sticky. Naturally we're receptive to comments on the new system and will wherever possible modify it to simplify use.

The Firefox issue only seems to affect users who have Norton Internet Security installed. I don't use Norton as I personally don't rate it but will see if we can identify a fix that resolves the issue there.

As for the file name problem, I'll see if the names can be changed on the fly, it's not my area so I'll ask Mike to speak on that issue.

It's early days and we've worked a great deal to get to where we are, some fine tuning is always inevitable but hopefully the on the fly downloads, simplified reporting etc will be welcomed?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

The Firefox issue only seems to affect users who have Norton Internet Security installed.

Not true, I do not use Norton so my issue is unrelated. When you locked the ongoing thread why didn't you bring the posts over to this sticky? Love it or hate it Norton is a popular and costly piece of kit and to advise users to scrap it is plain arrogance.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Not true, I do not use Norton so my issue is unrelated. When you locked the ongoing thread why didn't you bring the posts over to this sticky? Love it or hate it Norton is a popular and costly piece of kit and to advise users to scrap it is plain arrogance.

Like it or not Norton is widely derided by IT professionals for many reasons as it's a common cause of issues that often appear unrelated to it's presence. I did not intend to appear arrogant so my apologies if that is how it sounded but I stated clearly that there were workarounds that others had suggested.

However, getting back on topic, I use Firefox 1.5 and do not have an issue so its not Firefox that's causing the problem. What AV do you use, what version of Firefox do you have, what Firewall and what if any plug-ins for Firefox?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Mullet wrote:

Like it or not Norton is widely derided by IT professionals for many reasons as it's a common cause of issues that often appear unrelated to it's presence. I did not intend to appear arrogant so my apologies if that is how it sounded but I stated clearly that there were workarounds that others had suggested.

However, getting back on topic, I use Firefox 1.5 and do not have an issue so its not Firefox that's causing the problem. What AV do you use, what version of Firefox do you have, what Firewall and what if any plug-ins for Firefox?

I understand your Norton comments hence my non use.

AV is NOD32
Firewall is Sygate Pro
Spyware is Webroot Spy Sweeper.
Firefox v1.0.7
Extensions 11 total (only Adblock is security related)

As stated previously with Firefox the issue for me is some of the hyperlinks either do not work or have a different effect to IE. The solution for me is to install the "IE Tab" extension which effectively opens IE coded pages within the Firefox browser.
Link to the IE Tab extension https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1419&application=firefox
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried v1.5? Or are you holding off because some extensions are unsupported?
biggles150
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded the speed zone database for TomTom Go, but instead of getting OV2 files i'm getting binary files Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you loaded POIEdit to the PC as this will display .OV2 files as TomTom Binary, if so just use them (the files that is) as they work; its just your PC file association that is wrong - Mike
biggles150
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you loaded POIEdit to the PC as this will display .OV2 files as TomTom Binary, if so just use them (the files that is) as they work; its just your PC file association that is wrong - Mike

Thanks for the quick reply :D , will they overwrite the OV2 files on my SD card or should i delete the old and install the new?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just over write the old ones and you will be upto date - Mike
biggles150
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike :D
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New download system - Comments and suggestions Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

2) I use the speed-zoned Gatsos and mobiles, but the all-in-one SPECS files.
This now means making two seperate downloads. No problem with that, in itself, but now it seems every download is called "PocketGPSWorldCameras.zip".
That means unless you are aware of it, the second download overwrites the first.
You can either change the name as you save it or create another sub-folder, but it may confuse new users (as well as discourage new users from customising their installations with different numbers of POI categories - although that may be a good thing on reflection! :D ).

I have made the file name unique for each database package download now. Ie if you download TT OV2 single file this will be the file name. Doesnt solve the archiving issue though. Interestingly we only introduced the month name into the file to make it more difficult for the ebayers to link to us. I never realised it had another useful purpose.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Have you tried v1.5? Or are you holding off because some extensions are unsupported?

That is correct, extension developers are still playing catchup, also issues accessing the database are reported within 1.5 anyway.
I can work round these issues, but to help with the PGPS Database these issues must be resolved. I'm sure you are aware Firefox is not the major browser, but there are millions of Firefox users out here.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
That is correct, extension developers are still playing catchup, also issues accessing the database are reported within 1.5 anyway.
I can work round these issues, but to help with the PGPS Database these issues must be resolved. I'm sure you are aware Firefox is not the major browser, but there are millions of Firefox users out here.

Indeed but Firefox is my browser of choice and 1.5 is working fine so any issues with using it must be caused by something else (I have it on 4 machines here, two WinXP, one Media Centre and one 2000 Server and all are OK).
beashley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Mullet wrote:

Indeed but Firefox is my browser of choice and 1.5 is working fine so any issues with using it must be caused by something else (I have it on 4 machines here, two WinXP, one Media Centre and one 2000 Server and all are OK).

I have just downloaded an Firefox tab file and it cured my download problem.

http://ietab.mozdev.org/

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: