Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Checkpoint stopped working for no reason
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Checkpoint stopped working for no reason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint stopped working for no reason Reply with quote

Question OK, so i know a lot will be thinking "there's no such thing as 'no reason', and i must have changed my set-up, which has affected Checkpoint".

I left Newcastle early yesterday mornign to go to Edinburgh, up the camera-infested A68 (must try the A1 again one of these days!). nearly all of the 20-odd cameras on that road were not in the database, so i set about doing my bit for the good of this community and recorded their positions, ready to email in.

About 4pm, set off from Edinburgh to come home, same route, although this time i expected to have the benefit of the cameras being flagged up audibly.
first 45 mins or so was fine, and the cameras i'd added to the database were triggering off Checkpoint. after a while & approaching a camera, i noticed checkpoint wasn't going off - either visually or audibly, although the camera icon was there. Next camera i got to, same again. so i pulled into a layby, to start checking things out. I soft-reset the iPaq, and checked the settings for checkpoint to ensure it was reading the correct databases etc. all ok there. so whilst i was sat in the layby, i planned a route just before a camera, ending just after it. demo'd the route, no warnings.
so thinking there was something wrong with the way i'd logged the sites earlier that day, i found my home area on the "map" view in TTN2, and planned a 1/4mile route past a camera i knew DID always work. same, nothing.

Back in my office this morning, i uninstalled checkpoint, soft-reset, reinstalled, and set all the settings correctly. now it's working again.
I was away on business yesterday, and other than checking my agenda, working with contacts for a few numbers, and using a word file to take notes, i changed NOTHING on the ipaq whatsoever - didn't have the time to fiddle with it!
So i have NO IDEA why it just seemed to stop working properly. Oh, and since i don't use the "sync" features of the later versions, i stayed with v2.0 of checkpoint.

just thought i'd flag this up.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nigh on impossible to pin-point a cause when these things happen, most likley a config file or .dll that's become corrupted.

It is a good idea though to create a CF backup of your system once it's working and as you like it. Should the worst happen when you're away from home it's a 2minute process to restore from CF. Then a quick sync at home to update missing contacts, diary entries etc and you're as good as new.

My ageing 3630 suffered in this summers heat, if I left it in the glovebox it would hard reset once it got too hot. As I have a CF Backup it could be restored to as was settings, TTNav config, CheckPOInt etc with a few clicks. A CF Backup onlyn consumes as much space as you are using main memory so it's well worth doing.
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know what you mean about the importance of a fully restoreable back-up - i mention restorable, since every backup made through activesync - on 2 iPaqs - 3870 then 3970, and on 2 PC's - work & home, has failed with the error "corrupt file" or "backup made on different device" or some sort. i run sprite software's backup straight onto a mmc card DAILY !!!

my 3970 suffered a meltdown whilst i was out on holiday in New York 3 weeks ago (repaired now, battery cooked itself [charging circuitry gone awol?] and motherboard fried too!). spritesoft backup go tme almost back to speed.

BACKUP REGULARLY FOLKS!!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: