Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocketgps safety camera count?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocketgps safety camera count?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Pocketgps safety camera count? Reply with quote

How many cameras are currently listed in the pocketgps safety camera database? I understand it's about 2800, but after recently reading on another site that there are currently 4300+ cameras in the UK it seems to be woefully short. Do all of us out on the road need to work harder to get them all listed?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is nobody knows for sure how many cameras there are in the country. Cameras get moved about quite a bit, 80% of them also don't have any film in either, keeping track of the exact total figure is extremely difficult.

Some companies all write other databases or hardware GPS/Gatso devices say they may detect 5000+, but at the end of the day, they're probably including all of the red light cameras, and not accepting any deletions.

Although our database like most won't have the entire range of cameras, we have a really good stab at them.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree Dave that your database is probably the most comprehensive out there and I personally find it very useful, especially as I work on the road. I disagree though that 80% of cameras do not have film in them, because I supply the police forces with the film! Please don't hate me for that. Laughing

Still, I accept that no one really knows how many cameras we have in the UK in total.

These sites have some good pointers and info as to what's out there though...

www.ukgatsos.com and www.speed-trap.co.uk
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, are you sure they Police are putting them in the cameras though ? Laughing

I'm just going by the figures that the press keep spouting out. I think a lot of cameras do run out of film though, I know for sure 3 cameras at the top of the M3 a couple of years back in the roadworks never had any in, or had run out of film, or they didn't want to seem to prosecute Wink

Lets just say I think I was pretty lucky! Thumbs Up
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave it's true that alot of cameras run out of film and are not topped up due to lack of officers available to do it. However, a roll of film costs around £25.00 to buy and each force has the capability to receive £26,000 in fines from each roll! If I were a chief constable I'd only be too keen to supply as many officers as I could to fill the cameras up! In fact I heard recently that South Wales Police got into trouble because there crime figures were rising so sharply due to them allocating too many officers to safety camera duty. :x

My job involves supplying the film to these forces...Staffs, Warwicks, West Mids, Shrops and West Mercia. They are currently buying alot of product so I would assume they are using it. I actually have a list of all forces in the country that use film product, whether mine or a competitors, and I can tell you they're all hungry for film, right across the country. I couldn't divulge this info on the net though obviously as my competitors might be watching. Taunt
barrowfordred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: The camera database.... Reply with quote

shows 1 camera local to my house, but not the 5 or 6 that were there before that camera was introduced. If you rely on the database you are risking a fine. I realise that the database relies on people updating the information, but, I'd have thought that a camera up & running for at least 3 years would have been included!!!!!!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, don't just sit there, send in their co-ordinates and it will be in the database!

The database is a collaboration from hundreds of people, if you rely solely on any database and intend to speed then you are risking a fine no matter what.

Our database goes a long way to helping alert you to which speed cameras are out there, but at no time should you solely rely on our database or anyone elses for that matter. Of all the hardware based subscription services that charge a lot of money a year to stay up to date, most of these are missing lots of cameras 6+ years old, so I don't think we're doing all that bad.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was singing the Pocket GPS SC database praises to someone the other day, that wanted a Sat Nav and an SC detector. I told them you can get both of these if you put it on a PDA. They came back saying "Ah! but the Road Angel database is far superior to the Pocket GPS one", I didn't ask them to prove it but out of interest, does anyone know if the databases that come with Road Angel / Origin Blue etc. have more entries in them and/or are more accurate when compared to the PocketGPS database?

I just hate not knowing the correct answer, i don't mind if either one is better it's just the not knowing that gets me.

Del.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No database is perfect, and ours isn't as good as a Road Angel, or other device, but at the end of the day it's free, and people are putting a lot of effort into it to make it better and more accurate.

It's difficult to get a head count out of each company to the amount of cameras their database supports. Most won't give this because if they say 4000, then another competitor will sya they'res supports 4010.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be a smartarse here and i really do appreciate the enormous effort by all concerned for putting together the PocketGPS database, but what makes you so certain that your database isn't as good as Road Angels? can you tell me why it's not as good?

Do they have access to some official government body/Police authorities releases of SC locations that the public isn't allowed to see? or more likely, is only allowed to see if you pay for the information, which would then be like the voters registration database that you only see if you pay for it.

I understand that no database is perfect and only as good as the information available, plus the accuracy of the data entry, i know from personal experience having been down this road before. I'm not suggesting that PocketGPS could be expected to compete with a profit making organisation with lots of paid staff to enter and edit the data.

regards

Del.
barrowfordred
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: What information.... Reply with quote

is required to add a camera position to the data base? Will an Ordnance Survey grid reference do?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We prefer regular Lat/Lon in WGS84 datum.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can accept camera submissions in many formats although the easiest for us is the .ov2 file craeted when sites are logged using apps such as CheckPOInt but an OS grid reference will do.

As for accuracy, the big difference is that Origin, Morpheous and Blackspot etc verify new sites using survey teams before they are added. They check the camera exists, plot it's actual location accurately, add raod speed and road designation info and camera facing direction etc.

Obviously a free database such as ours cannot offer all this and we rely on readers to be accurate when reporting new sites. As always, if you see camera sites not in our database, log their position, submit the data and we'll add them Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Companies like BlackSpot etc do work with contacts within the Police force, Camera Safety Teams and local Governments to find out where cameras are going to be located and more importantly where blackspots are because this gives them a heads up on where cameras will be located in the future.
Heyou
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Dave, obviously these companies have invested a lot of money in recording these locations and making sure they're correct.

Del

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: