Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a post dated Wednesday 11th May from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20489 (my bold type) :

Zuke wrote:
MikeB wrote:
JohnBoy59 wrote:
Will the Pocket GPS World downloads still be free?

It was suggested that we charged €50 to be 50% cheaper then TomTom, but that goes against our philosophy, so the PocketGPSWorld database will remain as a free resource.

I wonder how many takers TomTom will get at €75?

By the way the database and voice files that TomTom provide through the Plus service are locked to a single device, and are encrypted.

Thanks for that reassurance, Mike. It's good to know not everybody is driven by greed Rolling Eyes

Confused
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another, this time from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=26703 on Sat 20th August 2005 (again, my bold type) :

Darren wrote:
pocketgpsworld.comSadly it would seem that it is open season at the moment for eBay leeches offering our Safety Camera Database for sale to unwitting purchasers. In an effort to end this practice PocketGPSWorld.com has registered with eBay's VeRO Verified Rights Owners Program which assures us speedy action where auctions infringe our copyright. Sadly it is not just eBay Sellers that are guilty. We are also aware of a number of retailers who are offering our database or databases containing our data both as chargeable services and as sales incentives when selling hardware.

We are seeking the help of our readership in identifying those individuals and organisations who have not requested a licence to do this. If you see an eBay Auction offering a Speed Camera Database for sale or a Retailers Website offering Safety Camera Databases either as a paid for service or a fee pre-installation service then we'd like to know.

We invest a great deal of time and energy in compiling and publishing these databases and it is grossly unfair that a small minority think they can profit from our work, spread the word and ensure that everyone knows where to come for the FREE database.

If you have an auction to report or a website post it here.
[/url]
Andycambs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose like Friends Reunited was recently bought by ITV, will we suddenly get the news that PGPSW has been bought by the Men & Motoring channel, or something similar? :D
mcwarre
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Christmas all! Especially those at PGPSW who provide an excellent service and have had to put up with all this moaning!!! :D
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that there are three types of users here, each group having its own requirements and preferences.

1. Contributors to the database who are upset that THEIR database is now going to make a profit for someone else. They have a legitimate beef and I think there are two ways to work it out : allow them to continue to have the database free (already offered, I think), or allow them a regular share of the income generated.

2. Visitors to the site who’ve profited from a free database without ever having contributed to it, but are upset about having to pay for it in future. They have no argument. They should be pleased they’ve had it so good for so long and now accept that if they want to retain access to a valuable resource then they’re just going to have to pay for it. The only valid discussion is on the cost and payment model.

3. Visitors to the site who have no interest at all in the database. Whatever the final outcome of all this may be, please don’t forget these people. Don’t make the mistake of thinking that the database is the be-all-and-end-all of PGPSW. Many of us will want to continue to use the other features of this site without having to pay for a database we don’t want !

… and I make no apology for posting on Christmas Day because it gives me the opportunity to wish everyone Happy Christmas !!
ReP0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2c in this long thread. Although I have never used the database and never will because one is not available I think it's a stab in the back and immoral to have promoted the database as a free service and one that will remain so and then turn around and just over such a nice community service that would never have of existed if it wasn't for the members of this forum in the first place if they had known this would be the eventual outcome. It's irrelevant whether you have contributed or not. Some things are done because of peoples good will in helping others and not expecting anything in return. What has basically been done is abuse the co-operation of these generous people for a financial gain.

This may sound bad on my part but I reckon this will be a seriously bad move and disenchant quite a few members. In todays world of bittorrent and the like expect the database to be shared for free as was the intended spirit from the beginning. Normally I am not one to condone "piracy" but in a case like this I wouldn't have any sense of guilt to obtain it via this way.

Note as I have said that the database is useless to me and charging for it will not effect me in any way as a result. It's just annoys the crap out of me when I think about the spirit of how this database was established and grown that has now been thrown out the window for a few dollars. You did not construct the database on your own but yet you seem to think that you are the only ones that can profit from it. You should be ashamed.
BunnyBallerina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought which might keep everyone happy - although I realise some of this might already be happening

Why not charge the likes of Maplin and other big stores to include a cd with the database with the gps unit along with details of this site's url .

Smaller independant shops could pay a licence fee (per unit) to install the db - thus adding value to the customer's purchase

So effectively anyone using it for commercial puposes pays, and
ordinary users continue to provide data / verify new sites / verify removals and get it for free.

Merry Christmas - BB
digitalhen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading this thread since the start, and I'm amazed at the length to which it has run! But before I start my post, I just want to say Happy Christmas to everyone here.

I've just driven from Canary Wharf in London to the Midlands, and I found that I had about a 50% success rate. Cameras were either listed incorrectly or were phantoms. More worringly though, cameras that have existed for a long time simply didn't appear in the data.

Why not send updates you ask? Well, I've had my TomTom for about 48 hours so I haven't really had the opportunity. I have been using GPS however for years, so I'm familiar with how it all works.

As for the charge, I think it's out of order to make the charge. Lots of other websites make plenty of money from affiliate links and adverts - I really don't understand why PGW can't manage it either...?? For instance, the site I clicked through when I bought my TomTom earned £22.20!
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
I am disabled and surviving (at least trying to) on benefits, I have no objection to paying, but I can only do so as and when I can manage to pay for it, therefore an anual fee is out of the question for me and would be penalising anyone else in a similar situation, I doubt if I am the only one in this sort of position. So please, spare a thought for those less fortunate who cannot rather than will not be able to pay.

your having a laugh arent you, suppose your gps system got donated too
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shughie wrote:
I am disabled and surviving (at least trying to) on benefits, I have no objection to paying, but I can only do so as and when I can manage to pay for it, therefore an anual fee is out of the question for me and would be penalising anyone else in a similar situation, I doubt if I am the only one in this sort of position. So please, spare a thought for those less fortunate who cannot rather than will not be able to pay.

the very fact that you download in the first place indicates that you have a vehicle and probably do many miles to warrant having a gps with the need for a speedcam database to identify cams in places you arent used to

sorry mate - its not that i dont have a heart, but frankly you in my opinion are being very unreasonable, many people here are just as bad off as you and dont expect a reduction through playing on their situation - why are you any different
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should means test all downloads
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why is this out of order - please explain, there are many members her i am sure are on the bread line, and have to pay for everything in life like those more fortunate/able to pay

why should we have special cases
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry mate - i have made no refernce to being disabled anywhere in what i have written.

you have incorrectly inferred that fact

i am astounded that someone has the gaul to play hard up over a £2 download

many many people here are on the bread line faced with all sorts of problems, some unforseen what screws things up financially

it amazes me how someone who has aquired a gps system and a car to obvioulsy use it in and an internet connection can argue hard up over a £2 quid download over something in life that is an optional extra and not necessary like the ptice of gas going up and HAVING to extra for it without option

its like everything else in life

you live within your means and if you cant afford it then you have the option to do without or download less often

that post has to be a mickey take
Marc_L400
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with Dan here that comment was a bit out of line,there probably are many people on this forum that are on low/no income or those that are unfortunate enough to be disabled,but being disabled is bad enough without having comments like that being made.
I am 27 years old,7 years ago i was involved in a car accident and was left with an incomplete SCI at L1,2,3 AND S2 ,now being so young and having so much taken away was hard enough without having stupid comments made by people,now i may be a bit older but those same comments can still hurt,so perhaps the personal attacking can be put away and then perhaps this thread can continue as it was.
Now ok i havnt a lot of money being disabled but without my car im screwed so to me the investment was worthwhile.
(This post has no bearing on my opinions or views on the cam database scenario)
Just my personal views on those few posts

Marc
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant you blokes read - nowhere have i mentioned a word about the bloke being disabled.

for your information i was involved in a motorcycle accident and also have disabilities as a result.

i believe i have raised a valid point about the argument over who and why should some here believe they have an argument to get it for free or be a special case

read my above post properly

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 48 of 60

Jump to: