Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shugie the very fact you have to bring your disablement into this arguments baffles me - can you explain why this fact needs to be discussed or mentioned at all in this forum, after all in your own words you mention you dont want any special treatment because of this, but then feel you have to bring it in and then slam others for supposedly having a go at you disablement, who in fact have not mentioned that point whatsoever, only ever generalising on the whole regarding why some feel £2 is unreasonable for something they obviously feel they just cant get by without

read my earlier posts re my motorcycle accident

of course if the cost is such a problem then dont speed on your 3500 miles per year

i have not said a word about you unfortunate situation, only you have done that. all i have done is press you to validate your point of view

again everyone should feel happy they have had such a great product for free for such a long time

merry christmas everyone
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxr1000 wrote:

again everyone should feel happy they have had such a great product for free for such a long time

The same argument could be said for anything. It can be applied to tax increases, or the price of petrol. Yes it has gone up, but that fact implies it was once lower than it is now for which we should be grateful.

Unfortunately the majority of people don’t actually see things like this, and governments rise and fall based on the decisions they make that affect the common man’s disposable income.
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disagree

we do not have an option to not pay taxes or fuel duty

we have to pay them and to fail leads to prosecution

this speedcam database is something we can all do without if we choose to

so the argument is infact very different
kerryburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Unbelievable Reply with quote

i cannot believe that so many people are against the idea of a Per Pay download. it seems fair to me and you can take it or leave it, does anyone really beleive that the web adverts generate huge income!!! apart from Google, it is not the endless pot of gold some of you believe!

perhaps this is a sign of the times, the internet is seem by many as being 'free' no matter what, this is not the case, and sadly i think too many of you possess a 'free for all' policy that is not realistic

i for one will be happy to pay it, if i dont want it, i dont have to, simple really

Kerry
gsxr1000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree with kerryburn

some think they have a divine right to have it for nowt

im happy to pay and support advancement and better future databases

as you say - dont like it, dont buy it
kerryburn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

touche!
ReP0
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Unbelievable Reply with quote

kerryburn wrote:
i cannot believe that so many people are against the idea of a Per Pay download. it seems fair to me and you can take it or leave it, does anyone really beleive that the web adverts generate huge income!!! apart from Google, it is not the endless pot of gold some of you believe!

Kerry

The point I think you are missing is that peoples good will with contributions to this database is what made it a success. People where willing to put submissions and corrections in and build the database to what it is today. Do you honestly believe the database would be even remotely the size it is today if the forum owners had to gather the data themselves. If they had people on the ground collecting data themselves and verifying it with no forum input then I;d have no objections but that isn't the case.

People where happy to give up there time with info submissions and corrections because of a sense of community to benefit others at no profit. What we have now is once the database has gotten to a critical mass on the hard labour of the forum members, pocket gps want to yank it out and start charging money for it to boost their profit without any compensation to the contributors of this dataase. I find it highly arrogant and unethical given the amount of advertising that is already on the site I just can see the database being such a chore to maintain given that it attracts users to the site. Combine that with constant promises that it would always remain free to get the good will of contributors and it's amazing that you can't see this for what it is, a captitalistic money grab with no regard for anyone else not to mention any integrity on behalf of the owners to uphold their end of the bargain that was promised about it being free to anyone indefinetly.
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of leeches that are posting on this forum seem to assume that nobody would supply free updates to a commercial database. In my opinion, that is quite far from the truth.

Apart from the altruism of a large proportion of the population who are willing to share the information for the benefit of other users, I personally would get very annoyed if I saw the same errors on a day-to-to-day basis. I supplied corrections because the more accurate I see the areas that I regularly travel, the more accurate I expect the areas to be that I am new to.

A lot of posters in this thread seem to be showing a very selfish attitude, or at least a very selfish expectation of others. Ultimately, it is the users who are getting the most benefit out of the database, not the forum owners.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this isn't about money why then don't PGPSW lock up the database store it safetly with Lawyers or even in their piggy bank, and set about building there own from scratch, then fellas they can charge what they want. Will they do that, yeah right and i'm the pope!!.
Heydude
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sad day indeed if this happens!..This data base is supplied by the people free and should remain free for the people!..It is after all the peoples copyright not pgpsw!.. and if you make money from it you are stealing from the very members that make up this community!..\Shame on you for even thing such an idea! Embarassed
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Dear, yet another one.
Let me simplify this, i am 110% against this.
The Database belongs to PGPSW (allegedly), morally it belongs to the members, whose efforts in submissions it contains.
The reason for locking it up, would be to make sure THEY can't use it for gain, because there is not a hope in hells chance of them giving it back to the people.
As said if they make the effort to collect the data themselves and put together a new database then they can charge what they want.
Would i buy it, no, if only for the fact that we are busy putting together a freebie elsewhere, but those who read the whole thread know that anyway.
timkemp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan_Gleebitz wrote:
gsxr1000 wrote:
why is this out of order - please explain, there are many members her i am sure are on the bread line, and have to pay for everything in life like those more fortunate/able to pay

why should we have special cases

The following was out of order.

"your having a laugh arent you, suppose your gps system got donated too"

Unless you also think being disabled is a laugh.

Dan.

It didn't read like that, and as I'm picking up my third motability car next week, I feel qualified to say it was not offensive.

And it doesn't come with free GPS...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refrain from this type of subject with respect to the people classified as disabled as this has absolutely no bearing or relevance to this topic AT ALL, I am dismayed at the somewhat personal level this thread has degenerated to at times, come on guys lighten up, we originally asked for feedback not hurling insults at other members of this forum - The individuals concerned know exactly who they are, so I take this opportunity to ask you - please keep this on topic - Mike Alder
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gsxr1000 wrote:
disagree

we do not have an option to not pay taxes or fuel duty

we have to pay them and to fail leads to prosecution

this speedcam database is something we can all do without if we choose to

so the argument is infact very different

The circumstances are very different, the argument that it was better before than it is now, so we should just accept the increase is still as valid an argument, which is not to say it is a valid argument.

It may not be one you agree with. In fact it's not one I agree with.

My point, which will be misread, misinterpreted, missed altogether and spun in all directions, is that "It was great while it lasted" is hardly a reason to accept anything in life, it's defeatist, it assumes we should be grateful for whatever handout we can get.

I have used the database for over a year.

I have never contributed a correction or a camera, which is not to say I have not marked camera location, or had never intended to, it's a bit like that song "cats in the cradle" by "ugly kid joe", I was just too busy at the time, and I always intended to do it tomorrow.

Yet I do not feel in any way that my downloading of the free database, my use of it, or my lack of corrections or submissions in any way lessons my opinion, or my right to argue the proposed change.

At no point did the license agreement state that this database is freely available for download "on the condition" that you donate, or submit.

My actions, my download and use of the database are currently being judged, by the moderators of all people, in light of their changed position. In this new light, where contributing forum members are more equal than non contributing members, and where established members are more equal than new members, than I may stack up pretty badly, and I could feel like my point is less valid.

I don't.

I played by the rules. The database WAS free.

The rules have changed.

I disagree with the proposed change, so here I am. Making my point.

Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. Sometimes I don't get involved. But I don't subscribe to the belief life was great while it lasted.

Life is what you make it. If you don't like something, change it. If you have something to say, say it.

You don't win or lose by calling people leaches, or having a go, or mud slinging. You answer four simple questions.

Objective. What are we trying to achieve.
Information. What do we know.
Alternatives. What are the options.
Decision. What's the best way forward.

From the start, we, the forum members have been waiting to understand most if not all of the questions above. All I can do in isolation is fill in the information, some of which was not allowed in the thread and was deleted.

Basically, if you don't understand the objective or what is at stake, if you don’t have all the relevant facts in front of you, then you cannot identify all of the viable alternatives, and you have no framework that ensures you have made the right decision.

Or in this case, we have no way of understanding the decision that has been made.
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also accept NO liability whatsoever for you receiving any speeding fines or points on your license through using this database or guarantee the accuracy of the data contained within this database either expressed or implied.

Why almost everywhere do PGPSW refer to the database as "ours" as in Theirs, yet in the above sentence found on the Download page it becomes
"this" Arrow Clap

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 50 of 60

Jump to: