Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 2 Map Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 2 Map Errors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Map Errors Reply with quote

Russ,

I'd mentioned the A6 Clapham Bypass (Paula Radcliffe Way) at the top of page 5 of this thread.

It's a hard choice with forthcoming roads. I think this one is simply a case of the maps being correct at the time of release (the data is supposedly correct at December 2002), but they have become outdated by the new road opening.

If a forthcoming road were put in the map, then Navigator would try to route along it before it was open. It's also the case that there are sometimes minor changes between the published plans (at least so far as they make it into road atlases as 'under construction') and what is eventually opened.

I think this particular one shows the value of buying the periodic map updates - though maybe someone can figure out a really good way of handling roads known to be "under construction".

David
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Navigator 2 Map Errors Reply with quote

Almost all of the development that I live on (8 years old and counting) is missing. It appears on the 2003 V of Autoroute (launched Nov) so I stupidly asssumed it would be in Navigator 2! Its KingsHill, West Malling, KENT. Oh well, in the next version perhaps.....

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
mstockha
Occasional Visitor

..and also on the M25 / M20 Juntion (the sliproad from the M25 ontoto the M20 clockwise) Navigator ignores the sliproad and directs you to use the next roundabout instead, it gets you there, but isn't really a good choice

TTN2.24 GPS 2.08 iPaq 5555 Lexar 256SD Danelec 256CF Pretec CompactGPS with Ant Trafcam Checkpoint and too many cables

ipaq 3630, Pretec CF GPS, Ipaq 5550 Fortuna Slim GPS, TTNAV 5.10 w traffic , SPV C500
superkev6969
Occasional Visitor

Highlands Grove, Great horton, BRADFORD, BD7 4BG is shown as in Buttershaw, BRADFORD which is incorrect.

Kev
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Sorry David, didn't spot your A6 post at p.5!! My eyes were getting sore by p.3 so I jumped to the end to post!

May be worth mentioning at this point that there is also another new section of the A6 just opened. The Rushden/Higham Ferrers bypass.

It would be good if the software developers could think of an efficient and fast way of updating, without any charge to us, for say 12 months after purchase. I'm sure there is a better way for us to help them as well. How about some sort of record/stop button which the user presses at the beginning and end of the new road? This file is then automatically sent to the manufacturers by us when we sync. They then get confirmation of this new road from the local planning depts from the co-ordinates in the file, and then update their data. Perhaps a small yearly charge to cover all updates would be better than paying for a one off download and then finding out another road has been opened the next day! The system above would be a bit like the MS Windows XP Help and Support Centre where it scans your files and folders and shows you what you've downloaded in the past and what you need to keep up to date.

How much are the periodic map updates by the way? Does everyone pay, even those who may have just bought software?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Russ,

No worry on not spotting the previous suggestion of Paula Radcliffe Way. You're quite right about the other new A6 sections as well.

Your suggestion of a CheckPOInt type screen you can bring up seems quite sensible - you could have various options (junction wrong shape, no left/right turn allowed, left/right turn allowed when mapping doesn't show it, missing slip road, new road, road in wrong place, roundabout added/deleted - possibly many more, with, of course, an Other option that you can come back to later and annotate manually) and the ability to submit the file for the attention of the map data supplier. Whether we'll see it implemented is another matter!

Periodic map updates - for TomTom Navigator, the only set so far were in the update from Navigator 1 to Navigator 2, which cost, if I remember rightly, 40 Euros.

David
Guff
Occasional Visitor

A507 Stotfold Bypass in Bedfordshire is mis-plotted. The road is on the map, but offset from the real road.
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The A417, going East, between M5 Junction 11A and the roundabout at the junction with the A46 is mis-plotted. The TTN position for the road is too far to the South. Navigator jumps back to the true track on the slip road of the A46 roundabout and issues a message to rejoin the main road when you are already on it. Cross-referencing the position of the road in Navigator with that shown in AutoRoute 2001 shows the difference quite clearly.

Also quite often on the A417/A419 to Swindon, Navigator failed to track the road correctly even when showing 7/8 satellites.
Ginger
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oaklands Avenue LS16 8NR is missing from database; approx 6 years old
Ginger
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Navigator 2 Map Errors Reply with quote

Travelling west on the M62 and leaving at J16 to the end of the slip road, Tom Tom instructs to turn left and then U turn to turn right. This is incorrect as a straight right turn is possible.
DaveBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baker Street and New-England Hill in Brighton are one way streets, but in the opposite direction than the Tom Tom Map.

The New Forest road system is appaling, hardly any roads are named and there are a few phantom A roads on the map which don't exist.
M@rtin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyde in Cheshire isn't listed at all; to find my street I need to search on either Denton, which is a neighboring town smaller than Hyde, or on Tameside, which is the local council district!
frmarcus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea when a TTN2 map update may be available? Having recently upgraded from TTN1 to 2, I'd be very irritated to have to pay for an update when there are glaring omissions.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current UK maps were updated by TeleAtlas in December, they didn't hit TTN2 until March/April time, so I would expect a simiar arrangement going forward. [Mike hates me when I use that phrase] Laughing
PeteB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigator 2 Map Errors Reply with quote

I got this on the same stretch, and on 3 other roads. If you use demo mode on that stretch of M11 it does it too.

PeteB
Luton, UK

iancjc wrote:
M11 northbound between harlow and stansted, last night I was told to keep left keep right keep left keep left keep righ etc etc for apprx 1.5 miles.

Great advice if I was a nutter in a Kilt running up the main straight at Siverstone but not much use on a straight (& cone free) piece of motorway.

Not sure if this did this in an earlier version of TTN2 (I'm pretty sure it didn't but could be wrong).

Cheers

Ian

ipaq3850, pretec cf gps-lp, 256mb sd card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: