Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Camera Database to Turn Professional
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soweezy wrote:
hmmm, appears the mods are watching this thread like a hawk, the post with the Barrats' details vanished almost as soon as it appeared

And rightly so. Would you like it having the details of yourself and your wife published in this thread? I certainly wouldn't.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason we are watching with interest is to judge feed back, also to remove mindless posts, that serve no use and edit those containing unsuitable langauge, not every one on this forum is above 18 so please don't de-generate this topic through the use of bad langauge, no one benefits through its use - cheers Mike
Bigstoo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i understand Tim, but as a limited trading company you have waived these rights, as this info is now in the public domain. anybody can view company info at companies house.
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
soweezy wrote:
hmmm, appears the mods are watching this thread like a hawk, the post with the Barrats' details vanished almost as soon as it appeared

And rightly so. Would you like it having the details of yourself and your wife published in this thread? I certainly wouldn't.

Tim, the info is public record, PGPSW is a public limited company.

BTW, noticed that Rob Brady is also a director...
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conroyd wrote:

But it is public record that Mike Barret is the director of PGPSW

It is also public record that this business has an Operations Director, a Commercial Director, a CTO and a Marketing Director. It's on the Contacts page! The fact that PocketGPSWorld Ltd is a commercial enterprise should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Regarding the source of camera information, at least some of the Safety Camera Partnerships publish the locations of cameras on their websites. Perhaps they would allow PocketGPSWorld access to that data?
soweezy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even more posts have been deleted

Garmin Zumo 390LM
BrianA
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I don't object to £2 per download. My only concern is that the hassle factor in downloading will go up - payment method needs to be simple (maybe also a 1-off payment of say £10 giving a 'bank' of say 6 downloads would be an idea?). I wonder how much the people complaining have given rather than taken from this site?[/b]

Go 520 + Navcore 8
(was a happy PDA user until TT stopped updating the software)
Aran
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long term reader of the forum but never posted before I thought I would add my 2p worth...

I think charging £2 per download is going to drive a lot of people away..

A yearly subscriction of around £20-£30 would be better and make it accessible to members only of the forum (i.e you pay to use the forum and download cam updates etc.)

Just a thought Smile
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aran wrote:
As a long term reader of the forum but never posted before I thought I would add my 2p worth...

A yearly subscriction of around £20-£30 would be better and make it accessible to members only of the forum (i.e you pay to use the forum and download cam updates etc.)

Just a thought Smile

Aran,I dont think they will tie the fee to the site because many people couldn't give a hoot about it, the same ones who slag off people for just visiting for the database , come only for help then it's offski.
No, the database is a pre requisite - it MAKES people come back.
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aran wrote:

Just a thought Smile

12[monthly updates] x £2 is £24
Why are you suggesting 'A yearly subscriction of around £20-£30 would be better!!!

Is it my maths at fault?

We are supplying the data 'free' - the updates should be free!!!!!!
conroyd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jguiver wrote:
should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Most of it probably will.

The fact that the full time roll has passed to one of the directors, without any real consultation, poll, or feedback, that fact that the ALWAYS FREE database is now going to generate the salary for this full time roll, I think once it's out in the open it's perfectly reasonable, very business like, certainly legal.

BUT, for most people, it's a surprise, and one they have had to uncover all on their own, because the way it has been handled by PGPSW has left people with a bombshell announcement, and then pretty much nothing else...

Here's how it should have gone, my opinion only...

"Folks, I set up PGPWS in 2003, but now I'm getting to the stage where I can no longer continue to run it as a hobby. Largely in part due to the administration and maintenance of the Safety Camera Database.

I've given it some serious consideration, talked it over with my wife, friends and I have had to make a decision. Either I let my involvemenet in the company end, or take a more permanent involvement on a full time basis.

In order to fund this full time involvement....."

And then spin it whatever way you like, but the bandwidth, and the extra server, and the "aren't we lucky to get Mike" angle....
mossman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, having been informed of the existence of this site, and more importantly, the free camera database, I have been visting the site over the past few weeks in order to help me with my 1st satnav purchase - a TomTomONE which arrived yesterday.

I have to say that, whilst I can appreciate that the site (and the database) may require a fair amount of work to maintain, I'm pretty sure that to adopt such a charging model of £2/download would more than cover any costs (with quite a bit to spare). This charge does seem particularly high, and in my view would discourage new referrals ro the site (resulting in less visits, fewer advert click-throughs etc).

It's a free resource, the base data has been freely contributed by many. I can't see how the PGPSW staff can hope to verify new/amended positions without the help of the main contributors. As has been said in other posts, I would be intrigued to see how PGPSW would stop the proliferation of the database on P2P and Torrent networks - would they have to look at some sort of activation system (which itself could be cheated or spread on P2P), or are they going to have to start throwing large wads of cash in the direction of lawyers in order to issue Cease & Desist notices to website hosting or containing torrent links to such files. Get into that area, and the costs rise even more.

All in all, a bad move, and I am particularly concerned by the lack of any feedback whatsoever, apart from the comment that they (PGPSW) are taking on board the comments here. We need some better statements & explanations here please. Smile

I'm sure that there is enough goodwill out there in the community to enable us all to help a little bit with any work in running the site or maintaining the database. And has already been demonstrated, there's plenty of people out there only too willing to take on such a database and continue to provide it FoC (http://www.gpsware.co.uk/
for example) - if PGPSW can't maintan it, then why not let someone else/another community look after it (with their blessing)? Perhaps with the agreement that suitable acknowledgements are posted on the other site, and appropriate links made to this site?

Please reconsider, and most importantly now, please someone in authority here please start posting some feedback.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mossman wrote:

Please reconsider, and most importantly now, please someone in authority here please start posting some feedback.

Totally agree mossman - a statement is well overdue.

Chris
tomtomgo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just see it.
Someone, you will do Conroyd, buy the database every month, then we have our own meet up's with tea and Scones and clotted cream if enough come!!.
Then we all join hands and start a mantra and viola the database appears on all our units.
jguiver
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conroyd wrote:
jguiver wrote:
should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Here's how it should have gone, my opinion only...

Yes, IMHO it could have been announced in a better way. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Right now, if I was one of the moderators, I might be thinking 'sod this, I'll go and do something else'. Or I might wait for it all to die down, which it will, particularly when we can't find a comparable database for less than 2 quid a month.

I do understand why contributors of camera data feel agrieved, though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 26 of 60

Jump to: