Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GlobalSat announce a Personal Training GPS Device the GH-601
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GlobalSat announce a Personal Training GPS Device the GH-601

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: GlobalSat announce a Personal Training GPS Device the GH-601 Reply with quote

GlobalSat Taiwan recently announced 2 Personal Training GPS devices to help athletes (and people like me) train. These are the GlobalSat GH-601 and GH-602. The difference between the models is that the GH-602 has an electronic compass and a barometer, the GH-601 does not.

Designed for just about any outdoor sport where you are on the move this wrist mounted GPS incorporates the latest SiRFStarIII technology providing accurate positional information and recording your tracks as you go.

As this is a Personal Training Device one of the functions is a Virtual Personal Trainer in the form of a pacemaker. This allows you to determine how you are performing against a predetermined training schedule. I thought my trainer down at the Gym was tough, but at least she goes easy on me when she sees me flagging. Not so with the GH-601 a real tough task master...

The GlobalSat GH-601 should be available early 2006.

For more details click here (GlobalSat Taiwan site).

GlobalSat Taiwan website wrote:

Feature:
1. Built-in SiRF Star III high performance GPS chipset. Excellent sensitivity for fixing the position even at a weak signal status.
2. With an omni-directional GPS antenna, it can receive the signal from all directions.
3. With built in rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
4. Large LCD for easy read.
5. Waterproof design to avoid damaging with carelessness.
6. Recording all history of self training by defined day.
7. Coach mode : Define a target performance to be achieved.
8. Workout project : Define the project which user would like to achieve.
9. Alert : While user is slower / faster the define performance.
10. Navigation : Map the location ; mark the trace point ; find the marked point ; backtrack mode ; Ahead / North Direction.
11. Electronic Compass : Resolution≦0.6uT/count (For 602 series).
12. Barometric Altimeter : 15~115 kPa (For 602 series).

Software Feature
Professional self-training and compute software, supporting the operating system such as Windows 98 /2000 /XP.

Specification:
GH-601/602 (similarities)

Receiver: 20 channels
Number of Waypoints: 100
Lap History: Automatically records up to 1000 laps by day or week
Np. of Routes / No. of waypoints per route: 10 / 125
Battery Life: 16 HR (Rechargeable lithium ion)
Display Size (H x W in inches): 0.98 x 1.57
Display type: Black & White LCD
Area Calculation: No
Pixels (H x W): 80 x 120
Standard GPS Antenna: Built in patch
Return to Origin: Yes
Unit Weight: 2.57 oz.
Audible Alarms:Yes
Waterproof Standard: IPX7
Unit Size (H x W x D in inches): 1.8 x 3.2 x .7
Backlit Display: Single level
Training Software: With Software included
Simu-runner: Yes
Auto-wait: Yes
Self-loop: Yes
Pace Alert: Yes
Time/Distance Alert: Yes
Interval Training: Yes
Ext. Ant. Hookup: Yes
Voltage Range: Yes
Waypoint Icons: Yes

(The differences)
GH-601:
Electrical compass: No
Barometer: No

GH-602:
Electrical compass: Yes
Barometer: YES, 15~115 kPa

Runner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: GlobalSat Wrist Furniture Reply with quote

Looks like a rip off of the Garmin Forerunner Series to me.

Now then, it might just be me, but are there really people out there wanting to participate in good, healthy outdoor activity with a piece of furniture strapped to their wrist? I mean, just look at it!! If it's windy, you might just take off!!

Other non runners in the field of exercise GPS systems are produced by Navman and Timex. Both, it seems, would like you to strap the GPS receiver to your upper arm while you run or take part in other activity. Are they mad? Do they want you to die? If you are anything like me, then you will have at least some blood wanting to pump through that arm during exercise. Restricting the flow, even slightly, is, to say the least uncomfortable and would be the last thing I would want to do.

There is a pretty strong rumour that Garmin will release a new Forerunner model (the 305) in February 2006. Apparently, it will actually be the same size and shape as a normal watch but with the addition of a tiny RiSF Star 111 receiver attached diagonally to the lower end of the watch face. There are images on the net if you're really interested. And OK yes, its not pretty but there again, its not furniture and I doubt it will restrict your blood flow either!!
DOOLAARD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this hardware is very similar to the garmin Forerunner products. I use a Forerunner 201 for over a year now and for me it is no bother that it is a little bigger than a usual watch. I run several races with it, among others 2 marathons, and it helped me with training and during the race.

Wind is no problem :D

Garmin will release a new more watch like product in the near future.

Grtz,

doolaard
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 301 with a heartrate monitor and must confess that they do look somewhat similar. I am reserving judgement until I receive my review copy.

I use mine for cycling and dont find it a problem either wearing it on my wrist or on my handlebars. What I did have a slight problem with was the size of the text, but that is better now since I had an eye operation.
SatNavNews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is companies now no longer have their own design teams, lets re-badge, re-badge, re-badge. This is what the SatNav world is coming to.

Editor,

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: