Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Bad Roundabout / Island Routing on Navman iCN 510, iCN 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Roundabout / Island Routing on Navman iCN 510, iCN 520
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzytiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Bad Roundabout / Island Routing on Navman iCN 510, iCN 520 Reply with quote

This problem is driving me round the bend (but, not very well around islands! Laughing Out Loud), because nobody has mentioned it on here, and Navman have so-far given me three responses (in this order):

1. We know about it, it will be fixed.
2. You'll need to upgrade to SmartST 2005 (this didn't help)
3. We don't know anything about it.

So, roundabout routing on the iCN 510/520 (and with SmartST v3 or v2005). Who else agrees with the following:

The problem with roundabouts is that upon approach to the roundabout, the summary at the top of the iCN’s screen displays the exit number and the road name/number which you are CURRENTLY on. This desperately needs to be altered to display the exit number plus the road name/number you will be exiting TO.

In my opinion, the way this is currently displayed by the iCN is very confusing, as it makes getting into the correct lane upon approach to the roundabout almost impossible, due to the fact that lanes upon approach to most roundabouts in the UK have the name/number of the road you wish to exit TO painted on them, and not the exit number. This makes the iCN’s direction method of ‘exit number only’ quite useless on major roundabouts with multiple lanes. Also, the road name/number you are currently on is displayed at the bottom of the screen anyway, so if Navman were to implement this, that information would still be visible.

I'd really like to hear everyone's thoughts on this. I'm wondering how many people either outright agree, or will go "Oh yeah, he has a point actually!"

Those of you who do agree, please - just take 5 minutes to e-mail your thoughts to Navman, as if there's only me banging on at them, there's no way we'll ever get this as a 'fix' in a future patch. It needs a significant number of people to make the suggestion to them before they'd release it as a 'fix'.

Oh, and if trying to find the 'e-mail us' link on the Navman site puts you off, just click this link: http://tinyurl.com/7e97k then click the 'Send us an e-mail' option in the grey box on the right. I can't make it any simpler than that :D
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree with you more. I've mentioned this fault before in these forums and I've also brought it to Navman's attention but with no satisfactiion. It is my biggest single problem with the 510.

I'm going to have another go at them and I agree that others should too. Maybe we can get them to finally sort this bug out which shouldn't be hard given that when simply making a left or right turn, the correct road is shown on the top display.
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this, but only after seeing comments about it on the forum as it's never caused me a problem. I always do a quick check of the "next turn" in the top corner which shows how far round the roundabout the exit is, listen to the verbal directions and relate to the road signs and keep half an eye on the display as I count the exits off when on the roundabout. Never had a problem being in the correct lane, even when on the continent.

Biggest annoyance for me is the inability to run the software on a PC, check and amend a route and then download it to the unit. Make long route planning so much easier as checking on the unit is very slow.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona wrote:
I've noticed this, but only after seeing comments about it on the forum as it's never caused me a problem. I always do a quick check of the "next turn" in the top corner which shows how far round the roundabout the exit is, listen to the verbal directions and relate to the road signs and keep half an eye on the display as I count the exits off when on the roundabout. Never had a problem being in the correct lane, even when on the continent.

Biggest annoyance for me is the inability to run the software on a PC, check and amend a route and then download it to the unit. Make long route planning so much easier as checking on the unit is very slow.

Must admit I've never noticed this 'problem'. However, will check it out and if it is there, I agree Navman should do something about it.
I'll email them accordingly.
Incidentally, look at the three pictures on the link page suggested by Dizzytiger. It shows a roundabout with the exit number and the route number to exit on.......or does it?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Bad routing from roundabouts :?: Reply with quote

I've just been on a trip and tried this out.

I don't seem to have a problem....the navigating roundabouts display shows the current road; in the top of the screen the next instruction is shown together with the Road name and road number. You are told the exit number.

There are four Map screens; Map screen, 3D Map Screen, next turn screen and next four turns screen. I presume you are using one or more of the first three. Which one Question

Is your problem on both the iCN510 and the iCN520 Question

On the 3D Map screen, you can tap the little 'next turn' map in the top left of the screen to hear the next turn instruction repeated.

I can only think that the problem arises with roundabouts with multiple exits - those I have tried only had three exits after the road I entered from. Wink
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

previously mentioned here
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23032&highlight=roundabouts
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daytona wrote:
previously mentioned here
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23032&highlight=roundabouts

Yep, checked those out. My experience has been different (and lucky, I suppose) - I will certainly look out for the problem but I'm not experiencing it at the moment. I've had my iCN510 for a year and travelled around Europe for about 4,500 miles during the summer. Many of those miles in large continental cities in, for example, Germany, Austria, Italy and France. Not got lost yet! (There's always a first time, though.)
It does need a little intelligence to use any GSP tool, because like computers, they are not infallible if it directs you down to a farmyard and you want to go to a supermarket, it's up to you to decide whether to ignore it. Wink Wink
Daytona
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, I've had the odd strange route choice and there are times when the display delay can be awkward but I certainly wouldn't like to travel without it now, especially abroad.
Just so much easier!!!
dizzytiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad routing from roundabouts :?: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

I can only think that the problem arises with roundabouts with multiple exits - those I have tried only had three exits after the road I entered from. Wink

To be fair, it does seem to get it right on small '3-exit islands' and in-particular, those where you are exiting onto a road with a name rather than a number.

Ironically though, these small islands are the ones where it does not matter so much if you are only being told '2nd exit' etc. But on the large city islands, where there are multiple exits, and the lanes upon approach are signed by the road-number that you wish to exit to, the Navman really falls down by not showing the road name/number of the road you're exiting to as well as '3rd exit' etc.
dizzytiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way... I found this issue with the Navman iCN 510, both with the shipped SmartST v3 software, and also with the SmartST 2005 which I upgraded to (which fundamentally turns an iCN 510 into an iCN 520).
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To try and clarify this issue, the understanding I have is that the name of the road on the exit as you approach the roundabout is also the name of the road that the roundabout is deemed to lie on. Therefore, if you are approaching a roundabout on say, the A4 and exiting it onto more of the A4, then the name will be the same. But if you approach the same roundabout from another entrance and exit it onto another road, the exit will still be the A4 as the roundabout is seen to be a part of the A4. Only when you are IN the roundabout does it show you the correct road name as you go around it.
dizzytiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's correct, Simon! In-fact, it says 'exit left' and the road number you're exiting to, very briefly when you reach the exit.

However, on islands where the exits are close together, this is often no good, and upon approach to the island when you're trying to get into the right lane, it's absolutely useless!

I have resorted to having the 'list view' on screen so that I can see the 'exit left' instruction with the road name/number I'm exiting to. However, losing the map view by doing this is far from ideal Sad
Simon1
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having no response from TWO emails to support, I rang Navman yesterday and explained a problem to a supervising tech support person. He claimed never to have heard of the problem (!) but went away to check it out and confirmed what I was telling him when he tried it on his unit (I assume he had it on demo mode or something).

Anyway, he promised to bring it to New Zealand Head Office attention and that he would email me with a response.

It seems that this is the only way to get anything done because emailing tech support is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.
dizzytiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely agree with you on the e-mail response - you either get:

A long delay and a useless response
or
No response at all!
dizzytiger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant to say: Keep us informed as to whether you hear anything back about them telling the NZ office... I'm VERY interested to hear what they say over there!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: