Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I’m new here.......HELP!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I’m new here.......HELP!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingrigger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: I’m new here.......HELP!! Reply with quote

Have just "found" GPS Forgive me if this a stupid question, or not the right place to post, but, here goes.......

I have a compaq 3970 and have just been given a 3450 Navman

My compaq is loaded with TomTom2 (s/h ipaq) My Navman came with American maps! (no good here in UK! ) Can my Navman work with TomTom2, and if so, how????? Dont want to "fiddle too much, but cant get anything to work at the moment Dave.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: I’m new here.......HELP!! Reply with quote

It will work, what you need are Navman's Serial Drivers for the 3450 Jacket which can be downloaded here.

Download the driver, install via ActiveSync and then launch the TomTom GPS App and select Navman 3000 and the correct COM Port. You should then be able to receive data from the jacket and use TTnav
flyingrigger
Occasional Visitor

Hi Darren. Thanks for your help, and that Navman link

My status screen now shows Navman gps3000, and it is now searching!!!! How long (aprox) should I wait for it's first      lock?? you also mentioned "comm port" where, how, what??

Regards, Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

In the GPS app, on the Status tab, you need to select the GPS Model (Navman 3000) in the top dialogue box and the COM Port it is connected to in the box below this.

I think for the 3970 this is COM5. Switch to the Status tab and if you have selected the correct port you will see a row of black dots moving between the satellite and PDA icons at middle right. No moving dots, no communication and so switch back to GPS Tab and check the COM Port.

If you have communication then stand outside with a good field of view and a fix should occur within 5-10mins for the first fix and 2 or three minutes every time after that. The explanation for this is the first time a unit aquires a fix it must download 'Almanac' data which tells it what satellites to expect in it's current location, this is a one off and the next fix is consequently much faster.

Finally, on the GPS Tab is a slider next to a PDA Icon, move this to the right to prevent the PocketPC powering down when the GPS is active.
flyingrigger
Occasional Visitor

Hi Darren, you are a!!! All now working A1

Took about 5 mins for first lock (in back garden)showing 6 "bars" is this correct? Thanks again for all your help.Dave
Darren
Frequent Visitor

6 Bars (satellites!) is a good fix, you need a minimum of 3 for Navigation.

Glad it's all working, any more queries once you've played with TTNav then just come right back

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: