Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - getting started
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

getting started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catken96
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: getting started Reply with quote

Hi Arthur,

Solving these kinds of problems often involves a process of elimination, and DEPENDS on feedback!! You started a topic in this Forum on 8th.July (Page 3) asking for help with setup, and the usual "software location" problems. I offered some basic tips as a starting-point. If they helped - GREAT!, if they didn't - SAY SO. That stops others from making similar points instead of suggesting something else to try, or - worse still - assuming your problem has been solved!! It's also a very good idea to STAY with the thread you started until you get a solution , otherwise it becomes fragmented across the pages.   END OF SERMON.

From your description above it seems TomTom is installed OK - hopefully it's locating the Map now. Have you got GPS V2.06 as well?. Have you set up the Tosh so it doesn't switch off on external power? The lefthand slider in the GPS screen - is it all the way to the right showing the red TomTom hands - this keeps it awake. An easy check on software installation can be run indoors without connecting the GPS.   Set-up a simple route from your road to another road 2 or 3 turnings away as follows -- SoftReset -- Tap on TomTom - in MAP view Tap on "AtoB" /Your "City" /Your "Street"/Tap on "TO" /Your "City" /Other "Street"/Tap on "OK". WHAT HAPPENED? It should have calculated the Quickest Route. If it did,Tapping anywhere on that screen should return to MAP view, where you should see your route Start and Finish. Tapping on "Tools"/"Demonstrate Route" should take you to "Demo" screen and after a few seconds you should see the route in 3D as if you were driving the route, and hear voice instructions as well. Did that happen? If it did you're nearly there. This should give some idea of whats working.

Tom.
Arthur Hart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: getting started Reply with quote

I have now obtained a Toshiba e 350 and am trying to get up and running with Tomtom but having many problems .I have installed tomtom and used their up grade as recommended in their FAQ page . I have checked in tools\about, and it says Tomtom navigator 2.24 (361)so I assume it has been up graded .working through the book let I have managed to get my address into favorites after many tries . the problem I have is it keeps freezing before I have time to complete a page, it either comes up in a blue page and at the bottom it says gps "position unreliable" or goes back to the start page where it takes an eternity to start again .also I cannot get the gps to start even looking for a satellite position any help appreciated .
Arthur Hart
Occasional Visitor

helo Tom . thanks for your sermon my only excuce it was my first time . I followed the instructions you sujested,

the Tosh was set up ok.I tryed many times to program a route but while in tomtom it was realy slow and invareabley frose before I could complete any thing .which I thought the download up date was supposed to fix ,by way I did have the gps v2.06 installed. so being totaly cheesed off I went back to the place I baught it off and explained the problems I had , and they are going to check every thing out to make sure the pda and tom tom are ok and if one or the other is faulty they will replace which ever is applicable .thank you for your time and infomation I will let you know the out come .a.s.hart
catken96
Occasional Visitor

Hi Arthur,

Hope you manage to get it sorted out. There is obviously something not quite right. Sorry about the sermon. Let me know how you get on. When they work they're great.

Good luck.

Tom.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: