Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to Tracking
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Tracking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivomcdivo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: New to Tracking Reply with quote

OK, I'm new to vehicle tracking and ain't got a clue about it at all. Could anybody give me any good websites to look at? Also, if you wished to track your family's five cars, from scratch how much would you be looking at in total for all the equipment?

Many thanks
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Tracking Reply with quote

scrivomcdivo wrote:
OK, I'm new to vehicle tracking and ain't got a clue about it at all. Could anybody give me any good websites to look at? Also, if you wished to track your family's five cars, from scratch how much would you be looking at in total for all the equipment?

Many thanks

get 5 old mobiles with sims , convert them so they can be hardwired to the cars battery, join 1 of the mobile tracking companys, add the mobiles to the list , turn off the ringers , make sure they r water profed, and bobs ya uncle. when ya need to know where 1 of them is , either go on line of txt.....25p per enquire.

Wink

j
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not amazingly accurate though... it'll give you a rough idea but you won't even get close to street level.
jazzyj
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
Not amazingly accurate though... it'll give you a rough idea but you won't even get close to street level.

just a cheap option, if he knows his family, he will know there freinds,
meaning he would only need the area they r in anyway ?
but from what i have read , the service aint that bad anyway?

Wink

j
sooty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at many tracking solutions but settled on 12 of the VTU008HS tracking units from here:

www.directions.ltd.uk

They are £330 each, so for 5 vehicles you are looking at £1650.

I chose these units, mainly because I wanted a solution that was completely under my control 'cost wise' as opposed to web based or mobile phone based subscription service.

The unit is about the size of a fag packet and has a Globalsat BR-355 SIRF3 III wired GPS receiver plugged into it. It is hard wired to 12v and has a further 2 inputs and 1 output that can be used to perform various functions, for instance remote disabling of ignition circuit (output) or recording of private journeys (input).
Basically you shove a sim card in the unit, connect 12v, hide it away and that’s it for the hardware.

The software is Navigator V4 which, in my opinion, leaves a bit to be desired. It is functional but the interface is messy, the maps are out of date and the manual is missing quite a lot of important stuff. Apparently new maps are due in summer 2006. The vehicle tracking is built into the software. You can connect directly to any of the units by modem and change the unit’s configuration, locate the unit, download history or live track.

The unit can store about 400000 positions which can then be downloaded to your PC. You can then print a history report or replay a journey on the map.

The units can also be configured to work over GPRS. In this configuration the unit uploads position data to the "Directions" server at intervals set by you and then you configure the software to get its info from the server. Currently they don't charge for this service but this may change. I don’t think there is much in it regarding cost, GPRS data charges or dialling into a mobile number. The live tracking works much faster over dialup as the data doesn’t have to go round the houses.

You can also set up a geofence so you dial into the unit from your mobile to set the geofence and if the vehicle moves more than XXX meters it sends you a text message. Dial in again to disarm. This is quite good as you don’t incur any call charges to arm / disarm this. You can also set up text alerts for speeding and wide area geofence entry or exit.

In summary the hardware is fine but the software needs tidying up. I like it because I control the cost and I needed the additional inputs and outputs.

Hope this helps

Sooty
Brian_VTS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: http://www.vtsolutions.co.uk/ Reply with quote

Hello scrivomcdivo,

If you've not found a solution then please give me a call.

To be honest there are too many cowboys Evil or Very Mad in the vehicle tracking industry, all trying to get customers to sign up to 5year contracts, without any SLAs or liability.

We are vendor independant, and can advise on solutions. You may find that that a hard wired system could reduce your insurance premiums, and thus help pay for itself.

It all comes down to 'Why' you want to track these vehicles, and 'how often' you want to view the information, a phone based system could still be the answer? No point is spending 1000's if you don't have or need to.

Regards

Brian :D
Brian_VTS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: http://www.vtsolutions.co.uk/ Reply with quote

Hello scrivomcdivo,

If you've not found a solution then please give me a call http://www.vtsolutions.co.uk/.

To be honest there are too many cowboys Evil or Very Mad in the vehicle tracking industry, all trying to get customers to sign up to 5year contracts, without any SLAs or liability.

We are vendor independant, and can advise on solutions. You may find that that a hard wired system could reduce your insurance premiums, and thus help pay for itself.

It all comes down to 'Why' you want to track these vehicles, and 'how often' you want to view the information, a phone based system could still be the answer? No point is spending 1000's if you don't have or need to.

Regards

Brian :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Vehicle Locators & Person or Pet Tracking All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: