Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Street Pilot 2610 is dead - i3 is King?-
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Street Pilot 2610 is dead - i3 is King?-
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
erne wrote:
Quote:
Skippy wrote:

Some Garmins have "Avoids" which you can configure and it will route around them. I don't know if this model does.

there is an avoid facility. It is very basic. (but adequate?) All you can do is selectt avoid and the system rerouts

ern

where?

I think skippy meant on the c320
BBBear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, like to thank MaFt for his very good instructions for uploading poi's. Having recently bought the i3, very impressed but tried it in my lorry and it kept sending me down 7.5 ton limit roads which is a prob when the lorry weighs 26 ton. I contacted Garmin & this is the reply - I'm quite dissapointed it doesn't route you on to appropriate roads! Crying or Very sad

Thank you for contacting Garmin, the difference between the truck mode and the car/bike mode is the alteration of the ETA time, estimated time of
arrival. There is no further information to do with bridges or road widths.
If you have any further enquires, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Oliver MacLachlan
Sales Support Associate
Garmin (Europe) Ltd
< <http://www.garmin.com/>>
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBBear wrote:

Thank you for contacting Garmin, the difference between the truck mode and the car/bike mode is the alteration of the ETA time, estimated time of
arrival. There is no further information to do with bridges or road widths.

bummer... you'd think it would keep you away from small roads... there is an option of 'avoid unpaved roads' which might help?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBBear wrote:
Thank you for contacting Garmin, the difference between the truck mode and the car/bike mode is the alteration of the ETA time, estimated time of arrival. There is no further information to do with bridges or road widths.

It may not know about bridges and road widths but the routes for Truck and Car are different.

Mapsource City Select v7
Start Leatherhead, Surrey, End Epping Essex.
Shortest Route - Car: 37.4, Truck: 39.7

Looking at the route, it favours the A3 and A12 over the shorter routes for the car. So it will prefer major roads, even when taking the "shortest" route.
BBBear
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm glad it does re-route you differently for truck - perhaps someone should tell Garmin! Still got the the problem of it sending me down 7.5ton limit roads. You slow down, indicate only to find it a limited road and no doubt annoying car dvrs behind Evil or Very Mad Question ...Being only an occasional dvr I'll try it again some time and get back 2 u.

P.S Being new to this I assume I have Mapsource City Select v7 installed?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes you have...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBBear wrote:
Still got the the problem of it sending me down 7.5ton limit roads.

Make sure you are using "Quickest Route" rather than Shortest because Quickest will favour major roads.
Minidish
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
P.S Being new to this I assume I have Mapsource City Select v7 installed?

The Streetpilot i3 uses City Select Europe NT V 7 see extract below from Garmins site which may help explain.

Quote:
Our City Select® NT DVDs include the same detailed maps and coverage areas found on Garmin's popular City Select North America and City Select Europe DVDs. The only difference is the compression technique we use to create these DVDs.

City Select NT data is identical to the content on existing City Select products, so you can still literally travel to a new city, look up your hotel, restaurants, and other services and use your compatible Garmin GPS to guide you there without stopping for directions. City Select NT includes the same fully routable detailed maps.

NT software is not sold separately. Since data is compressed differently than our other products, it can only be used with compatible Garmin products. See the product compatibility table (right) for a list of products that come with this software.

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectnt.jsp
Rudeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O I must say that the routing options on the Streetpilot 2610 are very good for trucks. you have
a) Truck option.
b) Fastest route (which will route via motorways & A-roads 9 times out of 10 ).
c) Major , medium, minor road weightings options.
d) block road option which enables you to block part of the road just by clicking on start & end points.

:x My original gripe was that, If the 2610 had audible speed cameras & import POi data it would be a phenominal machine.

Wink I have been inspired by the speed camera data conversion by walter wright to write a *.csv to *.mp format converter which will allow me to import my Bridge POI data as a transparent map overlay using the tools, GPSMapEdit, CGPSmapper, & Sendmap to edit, convert & send the data. see http://gps.chrisb.org/en/main.htm

I am 90% finished on the converter which is being written in C++, (Yes, I can Code!) if anyone can offer any help or advice I would be grateful

For me, I think this is the way to go, as I could not justify shelling out any more cash, for machines that cannot do ALL the things you want them to.

So the answer to the question - Street Pilot 2610 is dead - i3 is King?-
is NO apart from imported POI.
The C320 comes close but it cannot display imported data as an icon or graphic
If I was to purchase another GPS unit, on paper I think I would go for the Tom Tom Go 300.
But I would need to road test it for a few weeks to see the routes it generates.

Rudeboy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: