Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Postcode search with no house number?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Postcode search with no house number?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:04 pm    Post subject: Postcode search with no house number? Reply with quote

Having trouble with my I3 - I bought it cos my job needs me to make a lot of journeys to factories and industrial sites.

Each of these have postcodes, but never a house number. I can plug in the code, but what about the number. Leaving it blank and hitting "done" does nothing. If I enter a random number it points to a variety of locations around where i want to go, but not to it.

Surely this is an obvious problem, and I'm being thick?
ninjagaiden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar issue with setting destination to a hospital address. Hospital has postcode but no street number. I typed in postcode and just entered 1 for house number.

It came up with a funny name for the location, which I renamed. Running the navigation worked without a hitch. Obviously this did not work in your case 8-(

Alternative is to add location each time you visit a factory by storing current location, and you'll build up database of locations each time you visit a factory, or you could use streetmap to locate factories ahead of time, and use coordinate conversion to read off coordinates to load as points of interest.

I agree neither of these is very satisfactory
ps73uk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitting 0 for the house number will sometimes work, the problem is this will only work about 3-5 times them will cause it's own problems, with the Garmin just constantly taking you back to the last postcode you entered, more info on that here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=28620[/url]
Paul
mpet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having only just got my unit, I've not yet tried this, butwould there be a similar problem with roads that only have house names. My Brother-in-law lives up a country lane where all the houses have names. If entering 0 causes problems and there are no valid house numbers what would you enter?
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been mentioned on this forum that postcodes generally have a .3 mile coverage area.. clicking '0' as ps73uk suggested,does work and once the said location has been found you can add it to favorites..
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but its also being reported that doing so several times will cause a malfunction.

Come to think of it, I know a couple of people who dont have house numbers. Also, my office has no number, and is in the middle of knowhere. I tried the postcode, and used a variety of numbers from 0 to 9, and never was it close to my work.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: