Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The next PocketGPSWorld.com meet will be in Basingstoke
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The next PocketGPSWorld.com meet will be in Basingstoke
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Meets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have you sorted out a date yet ?
Mike

Well we did consider the 19th just to see how serious you are about GPS...

But we are not that wicked. At the moment it looks very much like the 26th. Darren and I will be checking out a couple of venues tomorrow and a decision will be made by Wednesday morning one way or another.

Important factors are: Internet Access, No maze to find the room, access for car, motorbike, pushbike... plenty of space for about 400-500 (I am optimistic) and probably most importantly the ability to get a GPS signal within the hall.

More details as soon as possible.
MickyFinn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venue suggestion

Aldworth Science College
Western Way
Basingstoke
Hants
RG22 6HA

They have a jive class there every Monday night

Photos here -
http://www.danceyourselfdizzy.com/dyd_venues/dyd_basingstoke.htm

They have a bar. Doubt you'll get the car throught the door but should be reasonably priced and cars can park directly outside. Plus the school will have an Internet connection.

They probably have other rooms too.

Micky
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Issues with having a car in confined spaces are the petrol and the battery... Have a chat with a few manufacter's public relations department about what they are required to do at Motor Show's.

From memory it was- less than 5 litres of fuel and disconnect the battery.
In addition and I don't want to cast dispertions on any reader here, rip out anything removable, such as cigerette lighter, wheel braces, jacks etc.

At one motor show (NEC!) we actually caught a guy walking off with the spare tyre! Some years earlier, the maufacter's distributor forgot to take out the radios at a public demonstartion. Out of the 30 vehicles on display (and these were static) 10 had their radios nikced in under 3 hours...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys we have a location sorted now. This is the Apollo Hotel Basingstoke http://www.apollohotels.com . Thanks to everyone who made suggestions to me. It has everything we need:

-Large Conference room
-Fully accessible
-Lots of Parking
-Parking for 1 car inside the conference hall 8)
-Reception area outside room
-Easy to find (not like the maze in Wales)
-GPS Signals at least 4M inside the room
-Wireless Internet
-Refreshments area

The date will be 26th November at 10:00 (if we wake up in time after the Friday 8O ).

All we have to do now is organise the event.

Simon, I was aware of these restrictions regarding cars and confined spaces. I specifically asked these questions and I am happy with the answers I have been given.

I am also aware of the danger of leaving things in the car. However I would like to say that the GPS community has proved itself in the past to be extremely trustworthy. In the last few PocketGPSWorld.com GPS Meets that we have had we have had all our personal equipment on display for people to touch, feel, and use and not a simgle item has gone missing. Thanks guys.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the update - I have checked out and the easy way will be train - the ovloV consumes way too much fuel for this sort of trip - Hope to see you their - Mike
ArthurFuxake
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nothing to do with the organising of this event so the below info should be taken as "unofficial", but I do live in Basingstoke Smile so I thought this might be helpful...

For those arriving by train, the Apollo is about a 1.2 mile from the railway station. You can catch a No.1 bus from right outside the station (north, direction -> hospital) which departs every 20 minutes and takes about 8 minutes. The Apollo is just off the roundabout before the hospital.

You can find the bus timetable here and the bus route map here. The Apollo is just off the roundabout where bus routes 1 and 5 merge.

Alternatively, there's a taxi rank right outside the station, which probably works out cheaper if there's a few of you travelling together !

Steve
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the thought of a bus load of people all sitting there with their pda's and gps's cracks me up .
Some bright spark would have to shout out beam me up Scotty

Twisted Evil

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonCatlin wrote:
In addition and I don't want to cast dispertions on any reader here, rip out anything removable, such as cigerette lighter, wheel braces, jacks etc.
At one motor show (NEC!) we actually caught a guy walking off with the spare tyre! Some years earlier, the maufacter's distributor forgot to take out the radios at a public demonstartion. Out of the 30 vehicles on display (and these were static) 10 had their radios nikced in under 3 hours...

Simon, I'll bring the tools, the rubber gloves and the ski masks...... And before anyone suggests anything sinister, the tools are to help set up the stand, the ski masks because it'll match our CoPilot clothing, and the rubber gloves, well.... can't comment on that, but I'm sure I'll think of something! Laughing

Seriously Mike, I would agree with Simon, it's best to remove everything from the car that's not necessary. We've always had a good bunch of users turn up, you just never know what criminal might be surfing the site and think, oooh, a free car stereo. Worth a trip! Better safe than sorry!

Any chance your Supra wheel will fit my Vectra ? Just wondering! Wink

Rubber Gloves - best to wear if you're opening up a GPS (anti-static clothing) Wink Rolling Eyes
DavidM
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will anyone be there with a demonstration of Alturion™ GPS software or CoPilot - and will TomTom be there to answer questions as to why my system that worked with TTN3 but now fails miserably with TTN5 Twisted Evil
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidM wrote:
Will anyone be there with a demonstration of Alturion™ GPS software or CoPilot - and will TomTom be there to answer questions as to why my system that worked with TTN3 but now fails miserably with TTN5 Twisted Evil

We will have people there representing both CoPilot and Alturion. TomTom are one of the event sponsors so I would hope that they will be there as well.

It is still in the early stages of planning but we hope to get our invites to companies and sponsors out next week.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
We've always had a good bunch of users turn up, you just never know what criminal might be surfing the site and think, oooh, a free car stereo. Worth a trip! Better safe than sorry!

Indeed, sadly MoDaCo, the Smartphone website held a user meet in London last month and had the C550 Prize stolen Sad Luckily some detective work over the following days traced the culrpit and the handset was recovered. Only takes one bad apple to spoil the barrel.
blackjack05
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm been using this site for a while now and saw about the next meet when it 1st came on to the site but then totally forgot about it as new GPS news was posted.

Would it be a good idea to make it top of the list so other people like me have forgotten.

Also is there a list of what companies are going to be there???
Quote:
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, we'll get it 'stickied' at the top of the front page Smile

We don't have a definitive list of attendees as yet (we're still arranging the finer details!) but will post an update once we know.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually we will do once we have announced the Event. Currently we are still in the planning stage, and the "cat has been let out of the bag" because we needed help in locating the ideal venue.

As soon as we have firmed up some of the details we will make a formal announcement and put a sticky news item on the home page.
Bonzo-Dog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm new to this forum and keen to meet and discuss satnav stuff. Please keep things up to date and reliable.

I live in Basingstoke by the way...... Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Meets All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: