Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live Pricing Structure
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live Pricing Structure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CoPilot Live Pricing Structure Reply with quote

We have been speaking with TravRoute, and Pocket GPS and TravRoute would like to clarify the pricing structure for the CoPilot Live licensing. Although CoPilot Live is considered by many as an upgrade as it resembles earlier versions of CoPilot 3.5 and before and it's the latest incarnation of CoPilot for the Pocket PC, CoPilot Live is a completely new product with many new innovative features and functions as well as data that is 15 months newer then Version 3.5.   Because of this there is no ‘upgrade’ path from 3.5 to 4.0 and you do have to purchase the UK, or European versions of the product at full price. However, TravRoute have rewarded the loyalty of their existing CoPilot 3.5 customer base by offering a large discount off the UK and European versions of the product. For UK versions (ordered direct from TravRoute UK), CoPilot 3.5 users will get the UK version for £119.99 inc VAT. For CoPilot 3.5 users wanting to purchase CoPilot Live with European maps, TravRoute are allowing you to purchase the European CoPilot Live license at a discounted price of £194.98 inc VAT. Please bear in mind that both UK and European versions if taking into account the loyalty discount must be purchased direct from TravRoute UK and not through a retailer.

If you are an existing CoPilot 3.5 user and would like to take the loyalty discount into account when purchasing CoPilot Live, please call TravRoute UK Support, and purchase the discounted version direct from TravRoute. You will then receive the licensed CoPilot Live package (UK or EU) depending on the option you go for. When they arrive, if you have purchased the EU version you will need to contact TravRoute UK Support who will then unlock the EU maps for you.

I hope that clarifies the CoPilot Live pricing.
ColinS
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CoPilot Live Pricing Structure Reply with quote

Dave,

As these words do not sound like yours I will draw the conclusion that TraveRoute have dictated the text to you. Therefore the following comments are not directed at you but at the author of your posting.

I am now a little more confused than I was before I phoned TravRoute yesterday. They told me that the, and I quote, “upgrade” was £131.74 including VAT and P&P. This is not second hand, it is straight from the horses mouth. Possibly a little staff training is in order.

Do I assume from this, and the price that you state, that they are charging £11.75 for P&P to send out a CD.

The UK version 3.5 contained main European roads. Does the UK version of CoPilot Live contain the same and what you call the “European version” have full detail maps?

When I purchased 3.5 I was told that regular free map updates would be issued to registered owners. If this was not just sales speak and the product has not been upgraded, can we assume that these will still be forthcoming for those “loyal users” who do not wish to move to a “completely new product”?

I will leave it a week or so and phone them again to see what the latest story is before deciding on the upgrade (sorry, purchase). There enough bitching, but you must see the frustration that we have.

Colin

Dave
Frequent Visitor

Hi Colin, I've asked for clarification of the pricing structure as a lot of people are starting to request this in email and everyone seems to be coming up with different figures. The text above is mine, pulling bits out of an email from Michael at TravRoute UK, and I've re-drafted and he's checked over the above before posting to make sure it is accurate.

I can only assume that the £11.75 is either P&P, -or- you've been mis-quoted. The UK version does contain major European roads, and CoPilot Live still does, but the European version (as with 3.5 EU) includes full street level detailed maps. I can't clarify that any further as the version I have here is the EU version with full detail.

Free map updates are issued to existing users *IF* updated maps become available from the geodata provider and this is usually part of the contract that GPS companies hole with geodata providers. CoPilot Live *IS NOT* just upgraded maps, it's a completely re-worked version, so you won't get it for free. Usually after a newer product has been released, map updates do not come out for what was the current version, so I would doubt that you will see any map updates. You have to understand that GPS products are still in their infancy for the PDA market, and most companies bring out new versions of their software every 12 to 18 months. Some are quoted as upgrades, some aren't, unfortunately TravRoute's isn't a direct upgrade, but they are giving a loyalty discount to existing customers which I think is pretty fair as they didn't have to offer this.

By all means call TravRoute again, if you call this week you should get to speak to Michael Kornhauser, and he should verify this for you.
ColinS
Lifetime Member

Thanks Dave,

I will try to speak with Michael Kornhauser re the price and let you know the outcome. I notice that jdw7 was quoted the same as me so maybe it is the shipping cost:

Quote: Originally posted by jdw7 on 14 July 2003Actually the upgrade will cost £131 according to Travroute -

The Software Only Edition of Co-Pilot Live| Pocket PC 4 UKI (including UK and Ireland Street Maps) is available at a discounted price reserved for TravRoute's registered Pocket Co-Pilot 3.5 UK/EU Users - £131.74 GBP (including shipping and VAT)

Seems a lot for something which imho offers less than 3.5 e.g. no traffic updates

At the end of the day it is such a good product that I will more than likely purchase although I will probably not use the "Live" element which makes it a bit more difficult for me to justify.

Incidentally, the review you did was very useful and not a "pain" to read at all.

Once again, thanks.

Colin
jdw7
Occasional Visitor

I don't think I'll be taking the 'upgrade' at that price. I can't see £119 / £131 worth of enhancements. I also feel a bit let down in that I've dutifully sent gps track files to them as requested and suggestions for how the product could be improved - then when it comes to upgrade time they want more than the cost of buying the new TomTom software (with free updates) outright. I think their strategy is a PR own goal. The cost to them of supplying existing users with an upgrade at cost would have been much less than the resultant loss of goodwill.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Colin! CoPilot Live is a great product, I like it a lot. The only gripe I have is sometimes the auto-zoom feature doesn't zoom in enough when you're used to other programs like TTN2 which give you a massive roundabout on screen.
ColinS
Lifetime Member

I've done it, bit the bullet and ordered the software. Just got off the phone to Amna (Arabic for Honesty she tells me ), very helpful and confirmed that it is £119.99 including VAT, plus £11.75 shipping for next day delivery.

Also told her about this web site forum and she is probably on here as I write.

I would be interested to see a statement from Travroute re map updates and bug fixes as I really don't want to be telling my wife that I need to spend another £131.74 in three months time.

Colin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: