Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CP4 - Postcode Query
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CP4 - Postcode Query

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark76UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CP4 - Postcode Query Reply with quote

I am keen to purchase CP4, but really need software that can find postcodes to street/house level and was led to believe CP4 would be my best option!

Having read the CP4 forum comments raised it appears that the postcode engine is not that accurate?

Can the forum offer some advice on this?

Secondly I'm in two minds on which GPS option to go for, should I go for the sleeve or the BT option? Do they match on performance? Is the BT option more futureproof? If I go BT then I can get xtra power on the Ipaq (3790)?

Any advice greatfully received.

Mark

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: CP4 - Postcode Query Reply with quote

The way postcode lookup works is you're using the first part of the postcode to effectively lookup the town, so it's saving you a bit of typing. You then still have to enter the street name and house number, it will match these together and then give you the full address to confirm.

Personally I find BT better (unless you have a spare battery in the sleeve which currently none of the GPS sleeves have to power the Pocket PC). You will gain a little extra power on the iPAQ by going the BT route I believe.
Mark76UK
Occasional Visitor

Dave

Thanks, as always a speedy reply!

I think now is the time to buy and Bt the best option to go for.

Does PocketGPS have the definative comparision on BT GPS, as I notice 2-3 are available from various sources including Navman?

Mark.

PS: Pocket GPS is an excellent website, I have used it extensively over the past couple of months and I am well impressed, great work by PocketGPS staff!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

We don't have a comparison of BT GPS' yet, but it's on our list of articles to write.

It really depends what's most important to you, be it size or battery life. If size is important the Emtac/Socket or TomTom BT GPS are good, they provide around 6 hours of battery use between charges. If you want to go for the extreme the Navman BT GPS will give you up to 30 hours usage, but the downside is it uses 3xAAA batteries. If you want something in-between then the GlobalSat is a little larger than the Emtac/Socket and this will give you around 11.5 hours usage.

Performance wise they're all running the latest SiRF IIe chipsets which will bring around the same signal strengths in.

I'm glad you like the website Mark, as I look at our Preview area we've got a lot of good reviews coming this way soon, stay tuned!
ColinS
Lifetime Member

Going back to the postcode topic. I think it is a shame that a full postcode can't be entered to give a pick-list of house numbers as with most other non-GPS packages.

I guess this is a matter of storage space but as memory continues to develop and drop in price, this would be a good one for the wish list.

Colin
Mark76UK
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for replies.

Taking Colin's point: I was hoping you could enter whole postcode then select house number/name, like many shops do now, then be directed to correct point!

From what I can gather this is the best it's going to get from GPS based systems!

Time to put my credit card to good use.

Mark.
zael
Occasional Visitor

Hi everyone:

Full postcode search would not be a problem for any GPS navigation solution, however Royal Mail wants to charge anyone who has access to their Postcode Address File (PAF) 40 GBP a year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: