Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom rider
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom rider
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glennk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for the Rider for a while, and judging by some of the hints in here I susspect we may get a review sometime soon Wink.

However if Expansys is any form of indicator, then I feel the price (£700) is going to be to steep.

If anyone around here happens to be doing a review and is listening to this thread, I'd be gratefull if you could take the following into account....

My main requirements from the system (apart from the obvious ability to navigate) would be a mount that is permanently wired to the bike. This mount would have...

1) A 12v power connection (seems this is going to be available looking at the specs).

2) An audio in/out lead for connection to my Starcom/Autocom intercom. The audio out is the most important as it alows the spoken directions to feed into the intercom. The audio in, would hopefully allow a phone conversation to take place using my Starcom/Autocom helmet headset/intercom and a bluetooth phone via the Rider system, although this is not a major issue for me.

3) The ability to quickly atatch/detatch the Rider unit

What I don't want to have to do, is use the TomTom bluetooth headset.

I'm currently using TomTom via a PDA which works well (except for the weatherproofing, which is functional but a bit of a clart). It would be nice to have a purpose designed unit. Im currently looking at a GO 500 (weatherproofing!) or a Garmin 2610.

Just my 2 pennies.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're under NDA so can't discuss detailed points nor publish a review but as soon as we are able to we will.

However, the mount allows permanent 12v and the RIDER is quickly removable BUT there is no other audio in/out facility other than the supplied Bluetooth or perhaps another alternative Bluetooth service,
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information I have ties up with what Darren says - no audio outputs, but if BT headset is not one of the integrated variety and has an audio socket for the headphone(s), then perhaps it might be possible to connect it to an autocom system,
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice how they tread so carefully in what they say :D but at least it holds some hope for me Although I am sure to connect to Autocom/starcom it will have to be via bluetooth receiver and 3.5 jack plugs into the intercoms . I can see some advantages in that because it could mean that the bluetooth lives under the seat with the intercom so apart from hardwiring the rider no connecting wires this would also go for the phone as well which would allow for it to stay in my pocket rather than being under the seat as well
So as always until someone bursts my bubble I will stay optimistic and live in my little dream world
Oh by the way I am sure I saw an advert on the net for the rider at £599 but at the moment cant find it again so will carry on searching for you Twisted Evil

I keep on learning but they invent new things faster ,How do I keep up ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any firm pricing information but would expect it to be under £600.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found a site has a price of 599 inc vat at www.navigationcompany.com
Dont know them so cant say what they are like but its a better than the lottery prices that expansys go in for before something is released

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glennk wrote:
I'm currently using TomTom via a PDA which works well (except for the weatherproofing, which is functional but a bit of a clart). It would be nice to have a purpose designed unit. Im currently looking at a GO 500 (weatherproofing!) or a Garmin 2610.

What are you using for weather proofing? Have you seen the Otterbox - this might save you the cost of buying a new GPS.

Definately consider Garmin too, they are nice units.
dill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As no one can get hold of a TomTom External antenna for a car, I bet TomTom will Make thousands available for the rider.
glennk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are you using for weather proofing? Have you seen the Otterbox - this might save you the cost of buying a new GPS.

Promise not to laugh........... I use a freezer bag with a clip to hold it closed. Cheap but VERY effective. I've been using this method for around 18 months (not the same freezer bag Wink ) and it works really well.

Apparently, I'm one of the few people who prefer to listen to the spoken directions and only look at the screen if it is unclear which particular turning is required. This allows me to concentrate on my riding and observations without having to take my eyes off the road.

However, my PDA is getting a little older and TomTom don't officialy support it and I have to remember my additional GPS receiver etc, etc. So I'm looking for a well designed bespoke solution.

Quote:
As no one can get hold of a TomTom External antenna for a car, I bet TomTom will Make thousands available for the rider.

Yes, I forgot about that. I also use my GPS in my car which has one of those metalised winscreens so have to use an external aerial (mounted behind the rear view mirror). So I would also want the Rider to have an external aerial connection.

The more I hear, the more I think a GO 500 (which does have the audio out connection) or a Garmin 2610 may be a better bet. I hope that TomTom are at this years NEC show so I can do a comparison with the Garmis (always at the show).

Looking forward to the reviews.

Regards,

Glenn
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glennk wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I forgot about that. I also use my GPS in my car which has one of those metalised winscreens so have to use an external aerial (mounted behind the rear view mirror). So I would also want the Rider to have an external aerial connection.

The RIDER does not have an external antenna option but it's receiver chipset is SiRFStarIII. In my wife's car where an external antenna was necessary to get her GO300 working the RIDER works perfectly without.
tomthompson
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren it must be time for the full reveiw as www.mobilefun.co.uk have them for delivery 5th sept on their website

Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Arrow :D Laughing 8O Arrow Question

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomthompson wrote:
Darren it must be time for the full reveiw as www.mobilefun.co.uk have them for delivery 5th sept on their website.

That is I suspect rather optimistic, we cannot publish any review until the testing stage has completed and the NDA is lifted.
Habu
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every pic I've seen of the Rider shows it 'clamped' to bike bars or traditional style handlebars. For us sports bikers (I'm on a Kwak ZX-12R) can the Rider be fitted to bike yokes? TT says it fits any bike. If the fitting is via a clamp then it won't fit my bike Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habu wrote:
Every pic I've seen of the Rider shows it 'clamped' to bike bars or traditional style handlebars. For us sports bikers (I'm on a Kwak ZX-12R) can the Rider be fitted to bike yokes? TT says it fits any bike. If the fitting is via a clamp then it won't fit my bike Confused

There is an adapter that allows it to fit the mirror or cluch reservoir clamps, see here for MyTomTomGo's preview.

RAM-Mounts are also compatible so there may be solution that will fit already. If it is as popular as I think it might be, expect to see many more mount solutions available following release.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: