Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Editing CP5 Speed Camera Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Editing CP5 Speed Camera Files
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedyBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Editing CP5 Speed Camera Files Reply with quote

Seeing as there was no single file for the Co-Pilot, I converted the .csv file into .xls to use instead. I was wondering if there are any useful edits that can be done to this file that people may know of? So far I have heard:

1. Converting the "@" to "AT" so that CP5 says it correctly.
2. Why the numbers next to a GATSO in the name (e.g. GATSO:6381@30), as this gets very annoying when read out, can these be deleted?

Can anyone confirm the above, and any other useful hints for CP5?

regards
Rob
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can edit the .xls file before installing it. I have done this to get rid of the '@' and ':' as it likes to announce 'Gatso colon' and then the number.

Baz
SpeedyBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Baz, is there any spec for editing these files, do the "@" and ":" mean anything, or does it just read everything out?

Also (if I remove the camera numbers) can you have multiple names of "GATSO AT 30" or will it only accept unique items in the name field when importing?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing CP5 Speed Camera Files Reply with quote

SpeedyBob wrote:
Why the numbers next to a GATSO in the name (e.g. GATSO:6381@30), as this gets very annoying when read out, can these be deleted?

Those numbers are the unique ID we assign to each camera site. This aids us in maintaining the database and is an easy reference for users reporting speed updates or location ammendments etc.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to convert the csv to xls - CoPilot will read the csv files too.
SpeedyBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Specs Reply with quote

Does anyone have a full list of Co-Pilot 5 Import Specs? (E.g. fields available, text string lengths etc.)

I would love to completely customise the Scamera import as it seems to be a bit wayward, somtimes a ping, sometimes voice, sometimes shown on screen etc.

From importing into Custom 1 as in the instructions, it reads out:

"Custom eleven Gatso colon 1234... etc."

It's not the most informative of alerts!
Bigwig
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you can play around with the csv file quite a lot. I replaced the @ with SPEED. I also changed the 'Custom' field in the desktop import so mine reads out "Speed Camera 1 of 1 in 0.2 miles. Gatso colon 4444 speed 30" but I can't rememer off the top of my head how I did that. It was a option in the desktop program somewhere. I'll post the answer when I find out unless someone else knows.
SpeedyBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Bigwig, my readouts today were much better.

I changed "custom 1" to "speed camera" too, much better. And @ to AT, I might replace this with "At Speed". I'll post how to do this really easily in a minute..
SpeedyBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Editing Speed Camera File for CP5 Reply with quote

Right here we go, the following can be applied to either of the single ".csv" file or the multiple ".xls" files.

1. Open "pocketgps_uk_sc.csv" in MS Excel (I used Excel 2000) from the "single file version" folder from the database you downloaded.

2. Paste the following formula into cell D2:
=TRIM(LEFT(C2,SEARCH(":",C2,1)-1)&IF(LEN(C2)>IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("@",C2,1)),LEN(C2),SEARCH("@",C2,1))," AT SPEED ","")& RIGHT(C2,(LEN(C2)-IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("@",C2,1)),LEN(C2),SEARCH("@",C2,1)))))

3. Copy this formula down to the last row of the data in the other columns (row 6211 in the April'05 version of the file)

4. Highlight column D, and click copy, now higlight column C and Paste Special Values.

5. Highlight column D again, right click, and delete the entire column.

6. Close the sheet down and save it when prompted, keep it as a .csv file or save as .xls it's up to you.

7. Then import using the instructions provided on this site.

8. Also rename "Custom 1" to "Speed Camera" when using the custom place import wizard, this makes the voice alerts make much more sense.

Hope this helps.
:D
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once 'Custom 1' has been renamed to 'Speed Camera', I decided that you don't really need the word 'GATSO', so I just use '40 Limit', etc, or 'Unknown Limit'.

The equivalent Excel cell formula for this is ...
Code:
=IF(ISERROR(SEARCH("@",C2)),"Unknown Limit",TRIM(MID(C2,SEARCH("@",C2)+1,255))&" Limit")

You shouldn't need to overwite the old column with the new column since, if you give the new column a unique name (e.g. 'NewName'), you get the chance to select the column for the 'Name' attribute when importing the spreadsheet.

This now reads as "Speed Camera 1 of 1 in 0.2 miles. 40 Limit", or "Speed Camera 1 of 1 in 0.2 miles. Unknown Limit". With 5 local speed cameras within a quarter mile stretch, I don't have time for lengthy descriptions, and still get road directions.

I haven't tried this yet, but I seem to remember that you have to allow duplicate ID's when importing the files.

Now if we could only get rid of the '1 of 1' ...

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
Seidio G2500 Amplified Vent Mount
CoPilot 6, GPS Tuner 4.2, Navio 3.01
BMW 330ci Sport
SpeedyBob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is if you remove the camera type you will get standard "speed camera" alerts for mobile cameras that aren't there, so you won't know if it's an error or not.

And you won't know if it is a SPECS camera or not, for further down the road...
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not quite that bad. I load each file under a different custom heading, so that I could still get major differences such as SPECS, GATSO. MOBILE and REDLIGHT, if I named the custom heading appropriately.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
iankb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited the camera files to remove the camera number, so that the messages would be shorter. e.g. Just 'GATSO' or 'GATSO AT 30'.

This has an unfortunate side-effect. If you get two cameras in succession with the same text, it won't display a warning for the second one.

So now, I just remove the colon before the number and replace the '@' with ' AT '.

e.g. 'GATSO:1234@40' becomes 'GATSO1234 AT 40'.

iPaq 2210
Globalsat BT-338
BMW 330ci Sport
wolvesgps
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Editing CP5 Speed Camera Files Reply with quote

I have edited the xls file to my requirements and changed 'Custom 1' category to 'Camera'.
This is reflected in the poi download options on the desktop PC.
However, after downloading this to the pocket PC it still shows the category as 'Custom 1' with the result being that cameras are announced as 'Custom 11 of 1 at 0.5 miles' etc.
Anyone got any ideas where I am going wrong?
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iankb wrote:
I edited the camera files to remove the camera number, so that the messages would be shorter. e.g. Just 'GATSO' or 'GATSO AT 30'.

This has an unfortunate side-effect. If you get two cameras in succession with the same text, it won't display a warning for the second one.

So now, I just remove the colon before the number and replace the '@' with ' AT '.

e.g. 'GATSO:1234@40' becomes 'GATSO1234 AT 40'.

Would it help you if I included sets of CoPilot specific CSV files in the ZIP file for downloading? I would create them in your preferred format as given above.

Richard

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: