Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - In-Car Reception ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

In-Car Reception ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Studiowest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: In-Car Reception ? Reply with quote

I'm considering GPS nav for my car but am worried about reception. I live in the Northeast (USA) and use EZPASS tags to speed toll booth passage. Certain cars, mine included, a 2002 Saab, require an externally mounted tag due to a thermo windshield treatment used by Saab (and other makes). When mounted on the windshield inside the car the tag's data cannot be read by the sensors at the toll booth.

Will this situation be a problem for GPS data reception? Anyone else out there with a 2002 or later Saab that is using GPS on a PDA (without external antenna) without problems?

Thanks

PS The car has OnStar and uses an external antenna for that.

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: In-Car Reception ? Reply with quote

With the problems you're describing with other radio based systems, the chances are that you'll need either an external antenna on your GPS or a re-radiating antenna fitted to the car.

David
Studiowest
Occasional Visitor

Thanks, David.

I fear you're correct as that was the answer I've just seen on another forum (Dell Axim PDA users).

Too bad, it seems quite messy and a real bother to attach an external antenna everytime one gets in the car.

Now if there were a way to get at that antenna from the inside that Saab is using for OnStar....

Richard
fysmd
Regular Visitor

I have a heat reflective windscreen too and couldn't make a Navman sleve get a fix AT ALL in the car. That said, my GlobalSat 308 and Etrex both work a dream and regularly gets 6 or 8 sats while on the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ColinS
Lifetime Member

I had the same issue as fysmd until three months ago when I got the Co-Pilot 3.5 with a Co-Pilot external antenna.

It cost me £29 (and will be cheaper in the USA I bet), it's mag mounted on the center at the back of the hood and wired through the bulkhead. If I'm unlucky enough to get it stolen, at that price I will just get another one.

Reception is 100% (except in tunnels Laughing Out Loud).

Colin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: