Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pocket Co-pilot v 3.1.5uk no voice prompt
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Co-pilot v 3.1.5uk no voice prompt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnwilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pocket Co-pilot v 3.1.5uk no voice prompt Reply with quote

Hi

I have just bought my first Ipaq 3870 and have got pocket co-pilot version 3.1.5uk and cannot find any way of getting the voice directions / prompts to work. everywhere I have looked it says to make sure that the volume is turned fully up, which it was. I know the speaker is working OK but it does not give any voice prompts ?

On the review mentioned on pocket gps it shows a "main" tab under options which I do not have for some reason

? It looks like this will stop me from changing routing options and altering the speach amplifier.

Does anybody know if the verison I have got is supposed to support turn by turn voice directions?

Thanks

Shawn

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Pocket Co-pilot v 3.1.5uk no voice prompt Reply with quote

Is it 3.1.5 UK or 3.5 UK ? 3.5 UK as in the review definately supports turn by turn voice navigation, I haven't tested anything prior to this so can't say for sure. Did you purchase it second hand, or from a retailer ?

If you look at the CoPilot 3.5 UK Review under the Conclusion section, under the OPTIONS screen you should get an ABOUT tab. This should show 3.5.6.7 ?

The only other thing I can think of, is the version we had was pre-installed to the CF Card, it maybe that the Software version on the CD is slightly older or slightly different perhaps ?
shawnwilliams
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave

I bought the Ipaq and nav second hand!!

I have clicked on about in co pilot and it says ver 3.1.5uk

The boxes that have come with the Ipaq and nav or all originals, besides the ipaq I have a box saying ipaq navigation system 1.2 in that it says that I have compact flash card, upgraded software with detailed turn by turn voice directions. So I can understand why i am not getting turn by turn voice instructions?

Seams funny that I dont have the same options in the screen shots from your review either, like I said I dont have the main tab under option on the pocket pc, so cannot get to routing or speach amplification.

I completely lost to know why its not working,

Help, anybody please!!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Right, you have Compaq iNS which is a slightly different version of CoPilot for Compaq. This is a much older version (by about a year and a half) so that's why you have different screens compared to the 3.5 review we have. I have never tested iNS before, but I think it did have voice navigation. Have you got the 1.2 iNS upgrade CD also ?
matt1971
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have this version (v3.1.5) and I do receive voice prompts.

Are you running it from the CF card or have you installed into main memory?

I have done both and got voice each time. Although straight off the CF card caused an error hence the install into RAM.

If you have installed it in the main RAM there should be a directory in program files called pocket speech.

I have just read the FAQS on the Compaq website and all it says as you said is make sure the volume is turned all the way up. It doesn't have to be all the way up before it will function - this is just to ensure that you can hear it.

Make sure you are in guidance mode, that you are receiving a gps signal and that the gps has locked onto your position (i.e. the 3 dots are yellow or green). Obviously you need to be moving as well.

Otherwise follow the support link on compaq.co.uk/navigation perhaps they can help.

Matt
shawnwilliams
Occasional Visitor

Hi

Thanks everyone, I have managed to get voice directions now. I reinstalled the software and installed POcket speach.

However I am still struggling with the software, which I think is Compaq Ipaq Nav Systems 1.2 or Ins 1.2. Looks almost the same as the software reviewed for co-pilot on this site.

My current problems are that I am unable to change the routing options on the co pilot if I go into options and then Data, it says routing typ=auto quickest and vehicle profile = auto, general options = auto for some reason I cannot change these, I cant click on the text next to the options ?

Also in the instructions I have for the nav software it says that I should be able to avoid a road, when Im in the intinery I have selected a motorway which I wanted to advoid from my route, It says to select the road then tap the icon which shows a road and line through, I have done this and the Ipaq shows the timer, but afterwards it does not remove the road from my route for some strange reason, it has done it for some roads though, any ideas please??

Also when launching co pilot on my desktop PC it mentions that you can create a route on the desktop pc and save it to the pocket pc, I have done this and been prompted with a message saying that it was downloaded succesfully. However when I have gone to the pocket pc I cannot see how I load up this route that I have saved from me desktop pc.

Having looked all over my pocket pc I can see my file in something called the datacd from file explorer. Does anybody know if this is in the correct place or how I can access it from the nav software I have

Im totally struggling with this software, so far I cannot get it to do what I want it to do

Help please!!

Thanks

matt1971
Regular Visitor

I will try and help but I never use the desktop side of CoPilot. If you had the Quick Start CF Card all the maps are on there already for the UK. They are stored in the datacd directory. If you have overwritten this directory then you can select the whole UK map (Zoom out far enough and select the whole map) from the desktop side and transfer to the datacd directory on the CF card, comes to around 81MB.

These options "options and then Data, it says routing typ=auto quickest and vehicle profile = auto, general options = auto for some reason I cannot change these, I cant click on the text next to the options ?" - - - - -As far as I can make out they can only be altered on the desktop side and would only affect the PPC if you transfered the route or transferred the maps again. Apparently the next release of iNS (v2 - which is CoPilot v3.5) is due to be released very soon and will enable these routing options to be changed on the PPC.

Regarding re-routing I have used it once on a 'A' Road and it worked, however when I used it on a motorway it didn't - presumably because the re-router is trying to find an alternative route using the quickest parameter and still comes up with the motorway....perhaps this is a bug in this release. (Run out of space)
matt1971
Regular Visitor

I know the CoPilot has a few niggles but I love this software and if you work at it works brilliantly for the price........Hope I have helped.
shawnwilliams
Occasional Visitor

Hi Matt

Thanks for info regarding whats saved where !!

Like you say, for some reason it does appear that you cannot change routing options from within the pockect PC. I had hoped that I could of done this from within the Desktop version, but this does not seam possible either.

It seams a very poor peice of software if you cannot even change between quickest and shortest routes on the pocket pc I think. On the desktop verison of co pilot you can specify the type of route you want through options and select either quickest or shortest, but it does not seam possible for you to transfer this information to the pocket PC as far as I can see.

It looks to me that you can only transfer map information, and not a specific route, and I can see no way of changing the options so that I get the shortest route on my pocket PC. Looks like I can only have quickest route only, which is very annoying!!

If anybody has any info on this please help, Im about to throw the co pilot and ipaq out the door

Thanks

Shawn

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: