Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Trying to find a small CF GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to find a small CF GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Trying to find a small CF GPS Reply with quote

Looking at the piccies of GPS CF cards they seem to be a bit bigger than I was expecting.

Is anyone aware of any forthcoming models that might be more compact? I guess the alternative would be to go bluetooth but I was hoping to go the CF card way.

Cheers,

Matt
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Trying to find a small CF GPS Reply with quote

The snag is that you have to fit a GPS antenna in somewhere!

Is there any reason why size is such an issue? The pictures can make a CF GPS appear bigger than they actually are.

The only reason I can think of where size is critical is if you're trying to cram the whole setup into an iPAQ Rugged Case (in which case I doubt you'll get a CF GPS to fit).

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

I think a lot of people don't like things that make the Pocket PC look bigger. I know several people who won't even put any type of sleeve on their iPAQ because it makes them look too big. Where as I will fit anything to mine providing it gives me what I want.

Providing you're not using a case that's going to restrict the size of the Pocket PC if you added a CF card, I agree size really shouldn't matter.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

I had been thinking about a case but mainly had thought I didn't want much sticking out the top. I suppose I probably ought to get my hands on a system to see how it feels in the hand.

Thanks for the input.

Matt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

Are you talking about more of a belt case ? If so, a lot of the GPS Receivers like the Pretec Compact CF GPS and the Haicom 302E all come with little leather belt pouches which means you can easily take the GPS off the Pocket PC and still use conventional cases. If you're looking for more of an integrated hard case that will also protect it from water, then I don't think you'll find many that will be able to do this.

If you want to see and get some hands-on experience, come to the Pocket GPS Summit
matt_e
Lifetime Member

yes - more of a protected waterproof case really.

I would love to come to the gps summit but am unfortuntaly already away that weekend. Maybe next time...

Matt
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That's a shame as you'd get to see the otterboxes which from a waterproof and protective point of view would be ideal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: