Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reasonable bundle
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasonable bundle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aero
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reasonable bundle Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest the most reasonably priced PocketPC based Sat Nav combination for the car?

Perhaps buying as a 'bundle' is appropriate.

Many thanks.

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reasonable bundle Reply with quote

I guess you are not necessarily after the cheapest - but a good value for money combination.

The best value Pocket PC at the moment is probably the Dell Axim X5. I would recommend the Advanced (48MB ROM, 64MB RAM, 400MHz processor) for satellite navigation. The only source from that is directly from Dell.

For SD memory, it seems that to save problems with the Axim you really want a SimpleTech SD card. Do not be tempted to buy directly from Dell - you may well finish up with a problematic Sandisk SD card! I'd recommend buying a 256MB card - that seems to be the best trade off of capacity and price. However, 128MB is suitable for most satellite navigation applications. A UK source of SimpleTech SD cards at reasonable prices is clove.co.uk. If you want a list of SD cards that have been found to work and not work in the Axim X5 look here.

For software, I'd suggest TomTom Navigator 2 GB. If the thought of the bundled GPS 'mouse' appeals, buy the full pack, otherwise you can buy the software separately, buy a CompactFlash GPS and your own mount.

I'm using a multi-mode GPS in CompactFlash mode primarily with my setup (a Haicom HI-303MMF), but that's not the cheapest solution. If you only need the GPS in car, a GPS 'mouse' is all you need.

For all these items, I can recommend globalpositioningsystems.co.uk. If you want to source your own mount (such as the excellent Brodit mounts - read on), this company will sell you a bundle of a Haicom GPS 'mouse' and TomTom Navigator 2 software - see here for details of that.

The best in car mounts, I believe, are those from Brodit. If you want to buy your own mount (or you buy the full TomTom Navigator pack and decide you want a better in-car mount), you can get Brodit parts from Nemesis GB. HandNav do sell some Brodit parts on the web, but I've found they broke their promises to me.

Finally, I believe Pocket PCs are best used with a good screen protector - it saves you damaging your expensive touch screen, particularly if you're using your finger in car. If you choose the right product, it's anti-reflecting for in car use.

My favourite product is Pocket PC Techs' WriteSHIELD, which I'm using on my iPAQ 3970. The Deluxe pack contains a nice cleaning solution that works really well at getting fingerprints off your screen. WriteSHIELD is available in the UK from Expansys.

Obviously these are just my own views - but I'll throw this open for discussion and see what everyone thinks!

David
aero
Regular Visitor

Wow, thanks for the info.

I have my own system at the moment (3970, TTN2, EmtacBTGPS), but I am searching for a good setup for my father.

There is lots for me to get my teeth into there.

Thanks again for the comprehensive reply.

aero.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Just a quick update - ebuyer.com have SimpleTech SD cards cheaper than clove.co.uk, though the 256MB card has disappeared from ebuyer.com in the last few days (possibly because it's so popular it's out of stock). This may be worth keeping an eye on, anyway.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: