Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Null Modem Adaptor where can I buy one
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Null Modem Adaptor where can I buy one

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamansam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Null Modem Adaptor where can I buy one Reply with quote

Need to connect my Ipaq 3830 to my Road Angel (GPS). Currently have a y lead (Serial and usb one end and ipaq fitting the other)usb going into cig adaptor for power and serial into the back of the road angel.

Here is my problem where can I buy a mini null modem adaptor from (I've been told I need this to connect the two together)?

Any help out there cheers,

Please email me at

Mark ( m_stickland@hotmail.com)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Null Modem Adaptor where can I buy one Reply with quote

[not emailed as I'd have to cut and paste to do so - I'd hope that it's better for everyone if I put my reply here in the forum]

Lots of places will sell a null modem adapter. Expansys have one here, though they still don't appear to be set up to send small items via Recorded Delivery (which means a relatively high shipping charge for a very cheap item). It also doesn't look as small as it is possible to make these things, but it's not bad.

I've just checked a variety of other sources (Maplin, Dabs and Inmac) and none of them have a neat little 9 pin adapter. Most are 25 pin or are built into cables.

Meanwhile, I'm curious where you bought the cable you're using for USB power and serial, and what it was described as. I'm after the same for a 3970 (which has the same connector as your 3830), and I couldn't find one that seemed to do the job. The official Compaq one may - but I'm not sure it takes power through the USB port. I think that cable may have a standard charger socket, which is arguably messier for what I have in mind.

David
Seamansam
Occasional Visitor

Got the lead off ebay and the cig adaptor.

Seen the one on expansys but their p&P is crazy money for a £2.50 connector.

Anyone else know where I can get one from.

Cheers,

Mark.
Scholasticus
Occasional Visitor

Pc-Mobile sell both the Null-Modem connector and the Ipaq 3970 USB-Serial power cable. They are not cheap but delivery is $5 and for me it was next morning. They were excellent.

MA
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

No markings on the lead showing who made it, then. If there are, I guess it's just some faceless Taiwanese outfit...

Agreed on the P&P really being crazy money from Expansys. I know they're wanting to introduce a Recorded Delivery P&P option for low value orders, which would make sense.

I tend to make serial leads up myself, rather than buy adapters.

My only other thought is - is there anything else you might want from Expansys, such as the great WriteSHIELD screen protectors? It'd make the P&P charge a little more palatable.

A bit of googling finds lots of complaints about 9 pin null modem adapters not being available 'ready made'. It looks like Expansys is your only option, unless you want to make your own adapter or lead.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: