Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help-Routing with TomomNavigator 2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help-Routing with TomomNavigator 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help-Routing with TomomNavigator 2 Reply with quote

I am considering TomTom2 with iPaq 3950 however I am unclear on some points and I can't find the answers.

I travel widely in Europe.

Can a route consist of a number of stops before the final destination or is the route to each stop a seperate route.?

When crossing borders is there there overlap between country maps such that one can route to a place either side of a country border before stopping and loading the next country map and route?

Can the route in each country be preloaded on a map of that country on an card SD before departure and loaded to the PDA when necessary?

Any help and advice would be appreciated as I am a complete beginner wiyh PDA's and up to now my wife navigates, I think a navigation system is cheaper than divorce!

Doug

DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Help-Routing with TomomNavigator 2 Reply with quote

I'll have a go at answering what questions of yours I can (bearing in mind I have only had Navigator 2 UK for a few days).

Can a route consist of a number of stops - no - not by default. You can add in the capability to do that with GPSAssist.

Overlap of maps - as you appear to know, you can't route from one map onto another. I'm not sure about overlaps - the TomTom site isn't very forthcoming and I haven't got any European maps to check. I'll leave that for someone else!

I also haven't got the storage card space to install some UK sectional maps (as well as the full 95MB UK map I already have installed) to investigate overlaps between those maps.

Pre-loaded routes - I think the answer is no. Navigator does remember the last route you planned, but I don't know whether that's the last route in Navigator, or the last route for that map.

If it's the last route in Navigator, then there's various ways to achieve what you want. You could save your destinations as POIs, so that you can just route to your next POI as you switch maps. You can also use the Favourites feature and reserve some of your 20 Favourites slots for destinations as you drive along.

GPSAssist may be able to help with this (as it routes you via stops by planning each part of the route sequentially), but I'm not sure it copes with map changes. Looking quickly at the Navigator SDK manual, it doesn't look as if there's a specific way to request Navigator to change map, though I don't know how Navigator handles a request via the SDK to navigate to a location off the current map.

David
nicgrant
Occasional Visitor

I've got the European maps - unfortunately, there's no overlap between countries - so you have to nav to each border Sad I also had to load the whole of germany (210Mb!) on my SD card, otherwise you have to navigate between maps within Germany! I'm hoping TomTom can come up with a fix!
Trigrem
Occasional Visitor

Thanks to DavidW & Nick, It looks as if I am on a steep learning curve if I can only load required maps via SD cards and Have to stop at each border crossing and plan the next part of the route. I will look at GPSassist when I have got over the initial workings.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: