Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS on a Motorbike
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS on a Motorbike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rossco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: GPS on a Motorbike Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a newbie from Oz. I am looking for a GPS that is suitable for use on a motorbike. I am considering the Navman ICN510 with a standard headphone. Does anyone have any advice on this model or an alternative??

Thanks
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: GPS on a Motorbike Reply with quote

Rossco wrote:
I'm a newbie from Oz. I am looking for a GPS that is suitable for use on a motorbike. I am considering the Navman ICN510 with a standard headphone. Does anyone have any advice on this model or an alternative??

Welcome

A few of us here have bikes with GPS mounted.

I don't think Navman is such a good choice for use on a bike. I like Garmin GPS units (Quest or StreetPilot 2610 are the current models) for on the bike because they are waterproof and robust. Check out RAM Mounts or Touratech for mounting systems. You can get a RAM mount for almost anything.

There are lots of other options including PDA based systems with Bluetooth GPS. Check these threads:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12387&highlight=motorbike
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16480&highlight=bike
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=16642&highlight=bike

It's always interesting to hear from other bikers so let us know what you decide to buy and how you mount/power/speaker it and how well it works. :D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: GPS on a Motorbike Reply with quote

Rossco wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

If waterproof is a requirement here so I would look at the Garmin StreetPilot or Quest ranges. Navman's iCN is not waterproof.

See here.
ShirleyTemple
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered a Navman iCN510 to use on my GoldWing and car because it is the only unit that has the following:-

Landscape mode.
Battery for use when walking around strange places.
2D and 3D option.
Headphone jack for connecting to the bikes intercom or radio via a FM Modulator.
Accepts the Speed Camera Database (a must in my opinion).
Is self contained (just look at all the threads related to PDA set-up problems).
Has remote control accessory with reasonable size buttons for use with gloves that you can Velcro to a convenient position.
I have a GoldWing, so I don't get wet in the rain and I know of several people who swear by using Cling-film if you get caught. I'm sure there are waterproof boxes available.

As always it's a personal thing, but these are just a few reasons why I decided on this model. That and the price. £500 with full European Street Level Mapping.

If you want to know how I get on with it give me a shout.

Cheers, Brian.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: GPS on a Motorbike Reply with quote

Rossco wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks

And now this has been announced. Well worth a look, I'd have thought, especially as the audio connection is wireless.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the fourth screen shot in the TomTom Navigator 5 article, it looks as if TomTom are going to launch Aussie mapping for the first time.

If so, there'll hopefully be an Aussie version of TomTom Rider available later this year - and Tim seems quite keen on it as a concept. He rides bikes, whereas I don't.

David
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it, wireless audio is a big plus. My new bike (ordering today, hopefully) has the option of a Truimph-badged Garmin 2610 with full unlock for CityNavigator. It has audio to the headset, but this is wired, and I hate disentangling myself from wires when I dismount. I sometimes forget to unplug my heated vest (cissy, I know) and get yanked back to the bike in double-quick time, which can be very embarassing. Embarassed
plusman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Medion PNA100 (also known as MD95270) Pocket PC with GPS which works very well in the car. I want to use it on the motorbike (probably in a tank bag with the earphone) but want to hook it into the bike's power supply. Does anybody know of a safe & reliable way to do this and ideally a source of a suitable cable or spec. for it?

Thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: