Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - USA & Canada Maps for Navigator 5?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

USA & Canada Maps for Navigator 5?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: USA & Canada Maps for Navigator 5? Reply with quote

Having placed my order for the UK upgrade of TTN5, I am now looking to get the maps of USA and Canada for a holiday planned in September. However I cant see this product listed on the TomTom site. Does anyone know if it is released yet or if they will be releasing it?

I notice that the TomTom site doesnt even list TTN5 for the UK as a Software-Only product any more. I hope this doesnt mean that I would need to buy the USA/Canada version bundled with hardware that I dont need.

Any thoughts or info on timescales or have I just missed it and its already available?

Thanks,

Ian
insanity
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not listed on the TomTom site, I've seen a couple of websites (can't remember which ones) advertising TT5 software only.

Nowhere seems to have TT5 European maps yet, so I would be surprised if anywhere has the US maps! I'm sure in time they will turn up - even if you have to end up with another copy of the software as well...
kjnpbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just check on expansys's site and found the following:

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=122024

They have a total of six counties including USA.

Keith Jones
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Navigator 3 USA. The TomTom upgrade site happily accepted my upgrade order for Navigator 5 USA yesterday. No idea when it will arrive of course. The website indicated that there was a difference between the USA product supplied in Europe and that supplied in North America. It's the product supplied in Europe I have upgraded.

Mark
longwori
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

It looks like it will be released in due course. £90 isnt too bad either - Thanks for the link Keith.

Ian
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it gets more confusing ....

Just before I found I could order my Navigator 5 US upgrade on the upgrade site, I posted the following enquiry with TomTom:

Me:"When will it be possible to upgrade my Navigator 3 for USA to Navigator 5 for USA?"

Just got this reply:

TomTom Support: "Sorry but the European software is not compatible with the one for US."

I don't know what this means. Will I have to have 2 versions of the software on my Ipaq to switch between Europe and the US? Will I have to reinstall the relevant software each time I cross the Atlantic? Or is the incompatibility referred to by TomTom for the product to be sold in North America as opposed to the product to be supplied in Europe for use in the US?

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what arrives (and when).

Mark
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade situation is a little unclear as concerns the USA maps; I'm hoping for some clarification soon.

It doesn't help that there's three existing products - Navigator 2 USA, Navigator 2004 USA and the add-on USA maps for Navigator 3. The first two of these were sold in North America - with Navigator 2004 replacing Navigator 2 USA last year, and being available over there as an upgrade.

The Navigator 3 maps were never sold in North America - Navigator 3 was never released over there. I presume that the product MarkRD upgraded was the latter of these.

Mark - were you just charged one upgrade fee for both products, or two fees? Your answer to that will clear up the situation for the majority of people upgrading in Europe, who, if they own the USA maps, own the add on product to Navigator 3.

David
MarkRD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David,

Yes it is the Navigator 3 for the USA available in Europe that I have upgraded (which incidentally was both maps and software although I already had the software installed from the UK map version).

To upgrade I have been charged 2 upgrade fees - one for the UK which will of course bring me all the European maps as well, and one for the US/Canada (European package).

What is still confusing is TomTom Support's statement that the US and European software is not compatible, when my question was clearly about v5.0 which I would have thought was uniform. Perhaps versions sold in Europe are uniform but the version to be sold in the US is different? I hope so as having multiple versions installed or having to switch when travelling would be a real pain.

If you get any clarity on this I would certainly be pleased to hear.

Mark

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: