Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ferry lines not defined in maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferry lines not defined in maps?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Ferry lines not defined in maps? Reply with quote

After installing SmartPath Pro I am no longer able to route the trip from my home i Göteborg to my summer home on Bohus Malmön, a small island connected to the mainland by a very short cable ferry. After a couple of minutes I get the error message "Exhausted all available routing memory".

As a matter of fact, I am unable to route a trip of about 3 kilometres from my summer home to the mainland, getting the same error message.

Does this indicate that ferry lines are not defined in the maps that Navman uses nowadays? (I did not have this problem when I used the old maps in SmartPath Trip.)
carl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Ferry lines not defined in maps? Reply with quote

Since writing the previous post I have been doing some more checking of ferries that form parts of the net of roads in western Sweden.

There are in total 14 ferries provided by "Vägverket" (a government agency) that travellers may use at no cost to go to and fro major islands in West Sweden. Two examples are the Kolhättan ferry connecting Orust, the third largest island in Sweden and having more than 15000 inhabitants, and the Kornhall ferry connecting Hisingen, the fourth largest island with over 100 000 inhabitants, with the mainland. The most striking example may be the Gullmaren ferry line, which is used every summer day by over thousand cars and lorries to go from one side of the Gullmaren fjord to the other.

I checked more ferries, but enough examples for the time being, I think, to prove my point: The recent SmartST Pro/maps from Navtech combination does not know of ferries (at least not in West Sweden), while the old SmartPath Trip/maps did.

Roads on these islands, on the other hand, are shown much more clearly and accurately than before. I just cannot believe that the Navtech people have overlooked the existence of ALL ferries in Western Sweden.

As the matter stands Navman SmartST Pro is almost useless IMHO for anybody wanting to travel in Bohuslän by car.

What causes this problem? Can/will it be rectified?
carl
Occasional Visitor

Both the Swedish Navman representative and Navman support have now confirmed that ferries cannot be used as a part of a route. The reason for this, according to Navman, is that the software cannot know which ferry I have booked tickets on, thus making a choice between different ferries impossible.

So far, the only workaround I have found is to calculate a route with the old Smartpath Trip (which knows about Swedish road ferries) and then transfer it to SmartST Pro if I want to get voice instructions. On my Ipaq at least, having both programs installed simultaneously means that neither recognises the Navman sleeve! Fortunately(!?) I have two Ipaqs, one running SmartSt Pro and one runnning Smartpath Trip.

The Navman support people have promised to suggest to the development team that ferries in Sweden will be included in a future version of Navman. I am looking forward to it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

That sounds good that it's going to be looked at! Great one Navman!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: