Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Warning sounds for 'Sugested Driving Breaks'
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Warning sounds for 'Sugested Driving Breaks'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BAZESUE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Warning sounds for 'Sugested Driving Breaks' Reply with quote

Is it possible to change the warning sound for my TT 950 Live's 'Sugested Driving Breaks'?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's quite possible you can, but I can't think of an easy way to try it out for you!

What I'm guessing is that the driving breaks alerts use one of the standard sound effects.
Now these used to be all coded in a single file called data.chk (which it is possible to edit using some third-party tools) so that could be one way to change it.
However I notice that the standard sounds are also stored in the "sounds" folder on my Go940 and 950 so the system *might* use those now - which would be a lot easier to modify.

My thinking is that if (just for example) the system uses the "notify1.wav" sound for the driving break alerts, then you could just replace the "notify1.wav file with a different sound but still call it "notify1.wav".

My only problem is that I have never used the driving break alerts and so have no idea of the sound used. I just tried switching it on, but there is no demo of it, so I think the only way I would ever get to hear it is by taking a really long journey. Makes testing the theory a bit long-winded!

At least you're in the position of knowing what they sound like now.... Maybe you could have a listen to all the sound effects in the "sounds" folder on the TomTom and see if you can recognise which one is used.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alert for the driving breaks isn't selectable it simply plays one of the sound files embeded in the data.chk file, whilst it used to be possible to take this file to bits and rebuild it, I haven't seen any software out to do this with more recent data.chk files (they tend to differ between Navcore releases).

Once the method of using ogg audio files for POI alerts was made available the "old fashioned" method of hacking the data.chk file came to an end and software such as POIExtend became out of date failing to work with software released in the past 3 or 4 years (is it really that long ago).

You could work it out using a hex edit application but its a lot of messing about - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure that it isn't using the files in the sounds folder now?

I don't know as I've not tried experimenting, but all the bings, bongs and cow's moos are there as .wav files and I can't think why they would bother to put them in there if they weren't used for something.

I suppose I could try changing the ringtone. wav and seeing if that changes the sound used when a call comes in.

Only trouble is I'll need to set up a new pairing with my wife's phone as I don't have a phone with BT myself any more!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I tried it with the ringtone sound and it DIDN'T use my modified file in the sounds folder. (I know that you can change the ringtone by adding a new sound to the ROOT of the internal memory or SD card, but I was only using it as a test for what we really want to achieve).

The TomTom "Create your own Content" guide, tells you how to change several of the warning and alert sounds, but not the "driving breaks" one.

So, it looks like the only way to change the driving breaks alert is going to be to modify the data.chk file... IF the tools to do it are still available.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the warning sounds downloadable from Home, there are spoken text messages. I've used 'Red light camera' and 'mobile speed camera', and 'motorway services' [a very depressing man]. There may be somethng for taking a break, but I can't recall one.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you record your own voice or find the sound you want to use there is no way to select a different sound for the driving breaks, as said earlier the only way is to dissect the data.chk file using a Hex Edit application then work out the contents of it - Mike
BAZESUE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a non starter then. Thanks for all your help.

Baze
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hunted down one of the old data.chk editors - (http://www.automated.it/ttg-poipatcher.html and, as expected, it didn't like my recent data.chk file - it threw up a few warnings about not recognising the format and the file it produced still worked but didn't accept the new audio I added.

However, I noticed that the program was based on work done by PGPSW's own CamerAlert guru, Lutz. So it's just possible he might be persuaded to look into the problem once again if you asked really nicely.

Also, I'll suggest to Tomtom that they include the ability to change this sound in future software.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: