Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recommend me a good window mount please.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommend me a good window mount please.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Recommend me a good window mount please. Reply with quote

Hi people,

I have a TT XLIQ and the window mount is a pile of donkey poo. It never works and I am fed up with trying to get it to stick so wondering you can recommend a more reliable one please. Doesn't have to be window mount can be dash board mount but like a mount that will MOUNT all the time.

THANKS Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comDoes the XLIQ use TomTom's EasyPort mount?

If so, take a look at Arkon's mounting solutions for EasyPort.

We reviewed some of the Arkon range last year. Although our review didn't cover EasyPort, the beauty of their mounts are the interchangeable heads which adapt the mount to each device type.

You can see Arkon's full EasyPort range here.

And for UK retailers check out their International Dealers link.
obeone
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
my recommendation would be to try the Arkon dash mount - say from www.blueunplugged.com.
I was very sceptical but following a thread on this site (How do I paste the link? Embarassed) I took the plunge. The mount works like everyone said - perfectly. Plus it's easily & quickly stored away
No more marks on the screen, struggles to remove or falling off when you least expect it!

I noticed at the weekend that Lakeland plastics were selling them as well - same price, about £20

Rgds
Steve
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend a Ferrari windscreen to mount the device on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I would recommend a Ferrari windscreen to mount the device on.

PMSL at that one - scores ten out of ten - Mike
boothby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom XL IQ Routes Windscreen Mount Reply with quote

I've just taken delivery of an Arkon windscreen mount (TTEP115), for my TomTom from:

www.buybits.com

So far I've only tried it out briefly on the screen & it seems to be a great deal better than the official TomTom one. Very Happy

Easy to fit and remove from the screen and very flexible in how you align the screen for viewing.

Once you've put the mounting ring on to the GPS the assembly just slots in to
the cradle on the mount. Far less hassle than the "real" one.

Comes with an adhesive disc for mounting on the dash. Hven't tried this out yet, but probably will not bother as it does very well what the Tom Tom mount does very badly.

Ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. Very reasonable price, total of £14.48 incl. VAT & postage. Well pleased with the unit & the supplier.

And it's about £5 cheaper than the Tom Tom mount.
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you're asking about windscreen mounts, but have you thought about a friction car dash mount? It's a weighted sack like, bean bag with rubber non slip bottom and a suction mount for your gps on top. I've used an Akron friction car dash mount for over a year now and what I like about it is that it doesn't move across the dash when cornering. It doesn't need to be anchored and doesn't leave tell tale sucker marks on windscreen. If you don't like using it you can disconnect the mount and use the sucker mount on the windscreen directly.... Best of both worlds if you ask me. Very Happy
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiwi69 wrote:
I know you're asking about windscreen mounts, but have you thought about a friction car dash mount? It's a weighted sack like, bean bag with rubber non slip bottom and a suction mount for your gps on top. I've used an Akron friction car dash mount for over a year now and what I like about it is that it doesn't move across the dash when cornering. It doesn't need to be anchored and doesn't leave tell tale sucker marks on windscreen. If you don't like using it you can disconnect the mount and use the sucker mount on the windscreen directly.... Best of both worlds if you ask me. Very Happy

I'll second that - I actually use a Brodit dashboard mount - excellent - but my wife uses a 'beanbag' mount in her VW Golf - and it is very stable in use. Also it allows you to swap the whole system between cars (eg hire cars on holiday) very easily.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom XL IQ Routes Windscreen Mount Reply with quote

First of all thank you for everyone who posted in this thread. Been really busy this month what with Christmas and all so apologies for not replying. I did read everyones post but other things got in the way of me actually replying and viewing the websites in detail.

Darren wrote:
Does the XLIQ use TomTom's EasyPort mount?

If so, take a look at Arkon's mounting solutions for EasyPort.

We reviewed some of the Arkon range last year. Although our review didn't cover EasyPort, the beauty of their mounts are the interchangeable heads which adapt the mount to each device type.

You can see Arkon's full EasyPort range here.

And for UK retailers check out their International Dealers link.

This is a very useful website thanks.

boothby wrote:
I've just taken delivery of an Arkon windscreen mount (TTEP115), for my TomTom from:

www.buybits.com

So far I've only tried it out briefly on the screen & it seems to be a great deal better than the official TomTom one. Very Happy

Easy to fit and remove from the screen and very flexible in how you align the screen for viewing.

Once you've put the mounting ring on to the GPS the assembly just slots in to
the cradle on the mount. Far less hassle than the "real" one.

Comes with an adhesive disc for mounting on the dash. Hven't tried this out yet, but probably will not bother as it does very well what the Tom Tom mount does very badly.

Ordered it yesterday and it arrived today. Very reasonable price, total of £14.48 incl. VAT & postage. Well pleased with the unit & the supplier.

And it's about £5 cheaper than the Tom Tom mount.

I would consider a windscreen mount but the orginal TT Windscream has put me off. Is this reliable in that it will suck to the windscream EVERYTIME? and not when it feels like it?

If there are problems with this windscream mount I am considering the Vent mount.

With the people recommending the adhesive mount. The only problem I have with it is it may leave a glue mark the dashboard? Something I don't want.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make, model and year of car do you have as it should be possible to get a Brodit Pro-Clip to suit the dash then get another holder to attach the device to the Pro-Clip - Mike
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2002 Toyota
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use a bean bag in my wife's car and it's great. I wish I had used it on mine (Mondeo) but as everyone speaks so highly of the Brodit I bought a Brodit vent mount The piece which slides between the bezel and the dash is such a tight fit that after a week or so the bezel developed a crack. I haven't removed it because I am afraid that when I do so the bezel will split completely and have to be replaced, but I guess I will have to bite the bullet when I sell the car. Bean bag next time!
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the bean bag leave an adhesive glue like mark on the dash?

I would like to know how reliable the windscreen suction pad is. Is it like the TT one where it only sticks when it feels like it?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the bean bag isn't stuck down at all. It just depends on it's weight and friction to stay in place.
Mouse9
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw a demonstration on Youtube.

Still a bit apprehensive as I am not confidence on the Tom Tom suction device actually sticking on the bean bad surface.

How reliable is the windscreen one at sticking to the windscreen?

Also does Arkon ship to UK?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: