Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Storing GPS details on PocketPC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Storing GPS details on PocketPC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stulbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Storing GPS details on PocketPC Reply with quote

Hello,

I need to record location information while I am on the move, and latter process this information on my desktop PC.

To date I have been using a laptop, with a GPS device on the serial port. I did this by using “HyperTerminal” to log the NMEA string to a text file. I later parse and process these on my desktop using my own Java application.

However, I am now trying to use a Pocket PC instead of a laptop. Ideally, I need a Pocket PC version of “HyperTerminal” that can save the serial port input to a file. Does such a piece of software exist?

Another aspect of the Pocket PCs that I do not fully understand is the wide variety of CPUs available. For example, my devices have either Intel XScale CPUs or TI OMAP CPUs. Does this mean that I need different ports of a “HyperTerminal”-like-program for each processor?

Thanks,

stu
StevenGourlay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDA dont have that feature but have a look at the Emtac with data loger:

http://www.emtac.com/support/download.asp
Crux_Log for Trine (PPC) Test Program Manual
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have programming experience just write your own. Embedded VC++ and Embedded VB are both freely downloadable from MS and it wouldn't take long to write a program to read in the data from the com port and log it to a file.

Or if you have Visual Studio 2003 you could do it in .NET (check out opennetCF for their SerialPort class)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number of Datalogger GPS units available, one of the best is Royaltek's RBT3000 which has both a PC and PPC client app that can replay the log files through a virtual COM Port in real time.

This may or may not be a better solution for you? The RBT3000 has been reviewed by us, see here. Another option is the Deluo Blackbox Datalogger or the Delorme Earthmate Blue Logger.
stulbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nej wrote:
If you have programming experience just write your own. Embedded VC++ and Embedded VB are both freely downloadable from MS and it wouldn't take long to write a program to read in the data from the com port and log it to a file.

Or if you have Visual Studio 2003 you could do it in .NET (check out opennetCF for their SerialPort class)

Hello,

Initially I was writing my own VC++ code to do this. However, I am not familiar with this language, and hence cannot get it working yet!

It would be a very sweet solution if it worked, because it is just 120 lines of code, and uses only Win32 libraries.

I also have another beginners question… Why do so many Pocket PC applications require ActiveSync to install them? Why can they not be downloaded using WiFi/Bluetooth/IR/whatever?

Thanks,

stu
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no C++ experience so can't help you much with that (Although my work is now threatening to teach it to me so I may have to bite the bullet soon). If you do it in the hell that is eVB I could probably help - the comms stuff in eVB is actually very very straightforward.

As for installing apps, all the ActiveSync basically does is copy the CAB file over to the PDA and then execute it. There's nothing to stop you copying the CAB file to the PDA via any means you like, but you'll have to manually tap on it to install it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: