Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A1 NAVI by Wayfinder Review for Pocket PC Phone
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A1 NAVI by Wayfinder Review for Pocket PC Phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: A1 NAVI by Wayfinder Review for Pocket PC Phone Reply with quote

We have done two reviews of Wayfinder already but it's been a while and I thought I give the program another go. Wayfinder have added lots of features and some new supported platforms - this review focuses on the Pocket PC/Windows Mobile platform.

Since A1 NAVI is an offboard navigation system (meaning maps are not permanently stored on your device, and route calculation is outsourced to a central server) your Pocket PC must have some kind of internet connection, with GPRS clearly preferred.

Read the full review.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Wayfinder use in US Reply with quote

I have used Wayfinder around the U.S. and find it to be excellent. I have used it on a Motorola A1000 - TMobile.

I simply load the addresses before I go on a trip. Once I get to my distination airport pickup the rental car, I simply recall the address and press search. I usually put the phone on the dash in order to get the satellite connection. Within 5-10 minutes I will get the maps downloaded and the software voice wtill come on directing me my distrination.
profmb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Wayfinder Reply with quote

I have used Wayfinder for 2 years on both a Sony Ericsson P800 and a Nokia 3230. Consequently I could say with some justification that I am an experienced user. For those thinking that this service might be an option compared with other GPS devices/ services, then I hope that you will find these comments helpful.

1. Do not expect to have 100% accuracy. Subjectively I would say it is about 85% accurate.
This is because a) The mapping software cannot understand complex junctions. b) It gets confused on roundabouts. c) It gets confused in built up areas. There is nothing more frustrating when it says 'turn next left - turn here - off-track''! Or when you plot shortest distance it will take you donw a motorway slip road, then up the other side again!

2. It cannot plot waypoints. So you have to build up your journey in stages. If you do decide to detour - it takes an eternity to find places using the phone interface - the search function is very poor. Despite what they say (here in the UK) they do not properly support UK post codes.

3. Remember you are reliant on phone hardware. I have used the service on my motorbike and reliant on the Nokia pop port connector. This is not very robust and nothing more infrurauting when you are reliant on a direction and you are unable to hear the voice prompts.

4. Also with the phone service it is very intensive on battery life. I get 2-3 hours on my Nokia before it needs to be lugged in.

I now use a Garmin Nuvi 350 and the difference in functionality in like the difference bewteen chalk and cheese. OK you pay alot more - but what is the point of paying less when you cannot rely on it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: