Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio Transfer and Vista
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio Transfer and Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Mio Transfer and Vista Reply with quote

I bought a shiny new laptop with Vista installed, only to find this morning that the Mio 710 and MioTransfer is not compatible with Vista according to MIO (Loads but does not work). Sad Has anyone got MIO Transfer (preferably hacked) to work with Vista, Smile or do I have to make a backup DVD of my Vista installation and revert to XP? Sad
Any help will be appreciated.

Trevor
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that Trevor, but you are not alone. I have a friend who bought a new PC with Vista and found that his printer and scanner won't work with it.

Sal
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the 'mio transfer hack' software work with it at all? the one mentioned in the mio instructions? http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-mio.php

doesn't vista have a'compatibility' mode like xp did? i found that some old software that didn't run back when xp came out would work if it was set to run in win98 mode...

MaFt
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal. Long time no hear. It's nice not to be alone, I have no reason to feel left out by the shortcomings (temporary, I hope) of Vista. A mate of mine also had problems when he went over to Vista. I've partly ovecome the problem by doing an Unlock and using Active Synch, but it's awfully slow compared with Mio Transfer, so I don't know what Bluetooth would be like. I dont really understand how to usee BT anyway.
@MaFt
I tried using the MioTransfer (hacked). The software runs, but when the USB is connected, it does nothing to either MT or the 710. Neither the computer or the Mio does the old ding dong thing. The USB recognises the Mio as a Digiwalker, so the driver is obviously seeing it. I'll have a look at your link in a min and see if its different to the one I am running.
The Mio website says not compatible but imply they might be soon?? The problem seems to be between the Vista USB drivers and MioTransfer, as active synch works ok.
Thanks to both of you for your inputs. I'll post here if I get the prob sorted.

Trevor
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Trevor. Mitac will have to update the driver for Vista, it's not an option for them if they want to stay in business. I just hope that the new one is still compatible with the Hack.
If you are using the published Unlock procedure, it installs a neat little WinCE file manager called Total Commander (TC). Or you can get it here: http://www.ghisler.com. You should be able to use this to copy over the MTC file very quickly.
There are two versions of TC - a free one for CE devices and a paid-for version for Windows. I have used TC for years instead of Windows Explorer - it is infinitely superior and I highly recommend it.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sally. Thanks for that. Sorry abt the delay in answering but I had BT mucking about with my line to try to get my broadband speed up. They failed.
I've just had a look and I've got the Total Commander on my Mio so will have to explore (pun intended :D ) it a bit to find out what it will do for me. It's not only the MTC file. I'm also mucking around with the scripts in DATA.ZIP. Because the only way (that I know of) to debug them is to run them on the MIO and wait for errors, I do this quite regularly, so that I can sort out the parse errors etc. before I go to far and then can't find them. Oh for a 'compiler or emulator or whatever'.
There is a bit of interesting stuff on the last page of http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=70131
re the hacked MioTransfer, where Mio actually sent someone a copy of the hacked version, with the proviso 'Be Careful'.
I'll have a look into trying TC on my box. I actually do not much like Windows Explorer but havn't had the enthusiasm to find something better, and I believe there are a few about. I actually preferred the old Windows 3 version of File Manager, but have got used to Explorer.
See ya later.

Trev
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my site i posted a "HowTo" to use your Mio utils on Vista.

In a nutshell it tells you to force your Mio drivers to overwrite the Vista Mobile drivers.

http://mio.digiwalker.googlepages.com/procedures-howto2

It's the first topic.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Morkin.
Nice to see you here as well as gpspassion.
Thanks for the info. I'll give it a good stiff reading in a bit. I wonder why Mio don't suggest that we to do this rather than just say it's a USB driver problem.

Trevor
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M8TJT

I'm kind of used to getting "meaningful" answers from Mio.
That's one of the reasons i started my site.

It took alot of trying before i figured out how to get the Mio Utils working in Vista. But i finally succeeded and that's what counts, right?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morkin. Whats with the nose piercing in your picture Question
Had a browse of your full website tonight. How do you get the time to costruct such a super mine of assorted Mio information?
Had a look at your instructions for Mio and Vista. My device manager does not show 'Mobile Device'????. Still I've used the Skin changer to unlock it and use Active synch. Works for me OK now :D
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not sleep that much. I'm used to sleep about 4-5 hours a day.
And i spend much time in the weekends on it. The major setup has been done during Christmas holidays. But as the days are getting longer now and much sunnier, my web time will decrease accordingly.
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M8TJT

What happens when you connect your Mio in Vista then?
Don't you get any message of new hardware?
Don't you have a Mobile Device Center in your control Panel?
What happens when you activate this Center with your Mio connected?

When i activate ActiveSync on my C710 Windows Mobile Center kicks in and a WinCE directory appers in my Windows Explorer.

The nose piercing and the sunglasses make my son look much cooler, don't you think?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Morkin. Thanks for the reply.
Cool aint the word. Frozen is more like it.
Have found Mobile devices in Device manager. I was looking for it without the 710 connected.
Yes, when I start Active synch (AS) on the Mio, I do get th Mio appearing in explorer as 'Windows CE'. I can do all the usual things via AS but not vial Mio Transfer (MT). It just sits there and does nothing as far as I can remember, because I uninstalled it and am using AS now. I wanted it to run MT as it seems to transfer files quicker than AS.
Did I read on your website that Mio have released an updated version of MM3.2. I couldn't find anything about it on their website.
Trevor

PS Where are you from?
Morkin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@M8TJT

Indeed, Mio released Miomap version 3.2 dated March 1st, 2007. They did, among other things, some minor updates on TMC, data.zip, voices, languages and sys.txt, i believe.

Mio isn't very communicative on these things, not even when the actual updating doesn't work at all. So no surprise there. I think that the devices are worth every penny, but the support, my oh my!!

By the way i'm from The Netherlands, a straightforward Dutch guy.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: