Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hot to bulk add favourites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hot to bulk add favourites
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

That would take some work. In the long run would it be worth it though.

Does the current.gpx hold anything that could be programatically 'got at'
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there something about a fairly small file limit in sub-folders for POILoader?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boristhemoggy wrote:
You're limited to 1000 favourites and also if you already have hundreds like me, you've to add them all in manually and assign them categories manually and assign symbols manually...I daren't even think how much time that would take.

That's one reason why BaseCamp is so useful. Load them all into that. Assign categories, edit them etc etc .... when you're happy send them to your device. I do it quite regularly to edit my data.
boristhemoggy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
boristhemoggy wrote:
You're limited to 1000 favourites and also if you already have hundreds like me, you've to add them all in manually and assign them categories manually and assign symbols manually...I daren't even think how much time that would take.

That's one reason why BaseCamp is so useful. Load them all into that. Assign categories, edit them etc etc .... when you're happy send them to your device. I do it quite regularly to edit my data.

As I said that's not a realistic way of adding locations you get to unless you have time to stop and run your computer for half an hour.
Shops are open tomorrow, I'll just get a refund.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I also moved from TomTom to Garmin and noticed that the Garmin method of handling POIs is much more limited than TomTom's method.

What I did:
1. Used a utility to convert all my TomTom OV2 files to Garmin's CSV format.
2. Use POI loader to load all the converted POI's onto the Garmin, retaining all the categories, icons etc from the TomTom.
3. If I want to add a new POI I record it's location as a Favourite on the Garmin, then when I get back to the computer I use Basecamp to find the location of the favourites (it displays the Lat, Lon & Name), paste this info onto the end of the CSV file for the correct category and use POI loader to load the POIs again including the new ones.

This works ok for me, I don't add many new POI's (perhaps one a week) so it doesn't take long. The Basecamp bit is slightly tedious, probably because I don't really know how it works. There may well be better ways of doing step 3.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why bother? Garmin uses favourites generally, POIs are different. You can have both. Most folks with Garmins just use favourites for places they want to save.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boristhemoggy wrote:
sussamb wrote:
boristhemoggy wrote:

As I said that's not a realistic way of adding locations you get to unless you have time to stop and run your computer for half an hour.
Shops are open tomorrow, I'll just get a refund.

You're going round in circles. You don't need to use BaseCamp, I suspect most people with a Garmin satnav don't. To save places as you go along just save them as favourites, you can have up to a thousand which is ample for most folks. If you, as you imply, have got hundreds already all I'm saying is that BaseCamp is a good way to manage them all, but you don't need to and if you wish to you just do it when it's convenient.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have hundreds of favourites then spending some time CSV them then if/when you change devices it's easy peasy.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Why bother?
Because the Garmin limit of 1000 favorites is not adequate for my needs. I also need the POIs to be categorised according to type.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely needs the POI's/Favourites putting into dedicated CSV files for Garmin.

Hard work initially.

Your call
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
sussamb wrote:
Why bother?
Because the Garmin limit of 1000 favorites is not adequate for my needs. I also need the POIs to be categorised according to type.

You're said you had hundreds so a thousand is presumably adequate? Favourites can also be categorised. But I'm still confused as earlier you were talking about adding them as you drive. Those are favourites and not POIs. If you really have thousands of locations as already posted you can convert them to POIs but they aren't editable or removable without a PC.

Of course all this confusion may simply be a terminology one. Do TT use POI and favorites differently to Garmin?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
You're said you had hundreds.....

Of course all this confusion may simply be a terminology one. Do TT use POI and favorites differently to Garmin?

I think that you are confusing me with the OP. I have around 19000 custom POIs on my device. I posted here simply to try to help the OP.

TT use POI's and Favorites in a similar way to Garmin. Favorites are intended to be a short list of frequently visited places. POIs are categorised and tend to be longer lists for example all "Calor Gas suppliers in the UK" might be one POI category.

The major advantage that TomTom have is that POIs can be added to the POI list on the device, so if I found a Calor Gas supplier that was not already in the list I could add its location and description to the relevant POI list directly on the TT device. This is the functionality that the OP requires.

The workaround on the Garmin seems to be to record the location as a Favorite on the device and then, when back at the computer:
1. Extract the location and description from favorites using BaseCamp
2. Add the location and description to the relevant CSV file
3. Use POILoader to put the POI on the device
4. Delete the the Favorite.
All a bit long winded compared to what we are used to with the TT.
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah apologies. Sorry long thread and on my phone at the mo Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcaouolte wrote:
TT use POI's and Favorites in a similar way to Garmin. Favorites are intended to be a short list of frequently visited places. POIs are categorised and tend to be longer lists for example all "Calor Gas suppliers in the UK" might be one POI category.

Paul, I bow to your experience on Garmin, the one thing that I'd say about favourites on TomTom is that they can be very easily lost. If you don't back up the .cfg file you can lose favourites when you update the map and I'm pretty sure that people have lost favourites when doing resets of the TomTom unit. Therefore as a TomTom user I'd always go down the POI route as opposed to favourites.

This is a bit academic now as modern TomTom PNDs possibly use MyDrive which I believe allows you to load POIs (but no BMP files for icons) onto your unit so you can navigate to a POI but not see it on the map or drive screens.

I'm still using the old TomTom iOS app on my iPhone, which allows me to use POIs but I have to load the POIs via computer software (iMazing) and I can't save new locations - I have to use anther iOS app (POI Viewer) to do that and then when I get home I add the locations recorded via POI Viewer to the POI categories and reload them onto TomTom app. Unfortunately the old TomTom iOS app is being killed off in September 2017 and the replacement (TomTom GO Mobile) doesn't even have MyDrive capability yet. Rolling Eyes

Is there a Garmin app for iPhone and if there is, can it handle POIs?

Sorry for hijacking the thread! Embarassed

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robert,

You may have over estimated my experience of Garmin, I have only owned one for a few months having previously been a TomTom user for many years.

I agree with your comments on the favorites on the TomTom and, looking at where favorites are stored on the Garmin, a similar problem may well apply to the Garmin. I suspect that favorites would be lost with a hard reset, but I have not tried this.

There is a Garmin app for the iPhone. It's £59.99 for UK & Ireland or £64.99 for Western Europe. Traffic is an in-app purchase for £20.99 (presumably for one year?) I have not used it and have no idea if it can handle POIs.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: