Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Start 60 and Speed Limits
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Start 60 and Speed Limits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Start 60 and Speed Limits Reply with quote

I recently installed the latest maps on my Start 60 & the lastest PGPS speed cams (UK consolidated).
Yesterday I had to do a 200 mile round trip from East Kent to West Sussex zig-zagging along A roads.
I was dismayed at the amount of wrong speed limit info that was being displayed on my screen. There must have been about a dozen occasions. 99% were where the speed limit had been reduced or newly introduced and I nearly got caught out several times.
The Camera warnings are coming up ok.

Where does my TomTom get this info from?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limit data is embedded in the maps and is notoriously out of date and inaccurate. Keeping a sharp eye 'out of the window' is probably the best technique for speed limits. Very Happy
smye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it feasible for PGPS to include speed limits in its camera database and would this be something for future consideration.
Maybe even a separate database which would replace the TomTom data.

It would obviously be of great benefit to members.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you might like to volunteer to log the position of every speed limit sign in the UK and then maintain it on a daily basis, all for free. That's how the speed cams are done (with multiple reporters and verifiers). Very Happy
I cannot understand why people expect the limit info to be correct as the various local/national authorities keep changing them on a daily basis.Very Happy
smye
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking that a speed limit database would compliment the camera database.
Would it not be possible to obtain the latest possible database for these limits and then all it would need are the changes to be reported.
After all the camera database must have started in a similar way.

M8TJT - it was your part of the world that was giving me grief. Can you tell your local authority to stop changing things, haha. Wink
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smye wrote:
I was thinking that a speed limit database would compliment the camera database.
Undoubtably it would
Quote:

Would it not be possible to obtain the latest possible database for these limits and then all it would need are the changes to be reported.
ALL????
Quote:
M8TJT - it was your part of the world that was giving me grief. Can you tell your local authority to stop changing things, haha. Wink
FYI part of Bexhill sea front(ish) outside the De La Warr Pavilion has just been reduced to 20MPH.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to know where the speed limit changes, or what the speed limit is on any given road?

If it is the latter, then what you are asking is probably impossible. The speed camera database can only record individual points on a map; it can't record data for a stretch of road.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: