Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CN EU 2015.40
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CN EU 2015.40
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry do not understand how I create a cloned device (ie SatNav)

Please explain
THanks
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a USB stick or SD card. Create a folder named Garmin. Copy GarminDevice.xml from the Garmin folder on your nuvi to the one on the stick/card. It will be seen by Express as your nuvi.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks will give it a go.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem today downloading the update BUT !!!!!

Because I wanted to be able to leave it I downloaded the update to the PC alone and that was fine.

Later on I went back to the PC and using MapInstall put the update onto my 2598. It told me it would fit and so I left it to its own devices. Much later, I returned to find that the process was complete so disconnected and switched on my Nuvi. Much to my surprise it had 2 maps - 2015.30 and 2015.40, t e latter having been lodaed onto the SD card. Grrrrr!!

So I removed the SD card and tried to use both MapInstall and BaseCamp to update the map. In each case I was informed that there was insufficient room (because 2015.30 was already there and did not seem to want to be deleted).

There seems to be no option to "update" a map in MapInstall, merely to "Install".

Next move was to boot up the 2598 in Mass Storage Mode and to copy the 2105.30 files to my hard disc in case something went wrong in updating to 2015.40. My intention was to delete the img and associated files and then install 2015.40.

But I then decided that it woudl be generally safer to go through the Garmin Express update procedure again, to Nuvi only this time, and it is now downloading the map files all over again from Garmin's servers. WHY?
I have done this before when I have updated my 2598 and saved the maps on the PC as well and then updated my 760. Express has previously looked as though it was going to download the map files again but quickly realised that the files are already on t e PC and has quickly proceeded to create the index files and install from the PC. It seems that the updated Express has a bug in this respect.

Anybody else had this problem?
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a much larger update than usual to the base map (usually 80Mb or so) whereas this one is over 150Mb so a lot more detail added.

Figures for the full European Map set so Western Europe etc.. will be smaller.

2015:30 2015.40
GMMAPPROM 3,639,680 3,792,320
GMAP3d.IMG 780,304 808,688
D30481x0A.JCV 384,862 388,383
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAVC10 wrote:
This seems to be a much larger update than usual to the base map (usually 80Mb or so) whereas this one is over 150Mb so a lot more detail added.
Figures for the full European Map set so Western Europe etc.. will be smaller.

2015:30 2015.40
GMMAPPROM 3,639,680 3,792,320
GMAP3d.IMG 780,304 788,500
D30481x0A.JCV 384,862 388,383

The size of the update is not the problem that I have - it is the fact that MapInstall is not deleting 2015.30 as part of installing 2015.40 - and presumably the same for the basemap.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Map size issues again.

My 2597 was able to accomodate last years maps internally but 2015.01 needed a SD card due to the considerable increased size.

My 2599 came preinstalled with 2015 but that was smaller as has all the other updates up to 2015.03.

I decided to switch maps on the 2597 to UK only and that fitted without a SD, happy days again as I'm convinced reading from SD must be slower than internal memory.

Strange.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@inspiredron

MapInstall only installs maps so you'll need to manually delete the one you don't want.

As for the basemap nothing will touch that, it is what it is.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
@inspiredron

MapInstall only installs maps so you'll need to manually delete the one you don't want.

As for the basemap nothing will touch that, it is what it is.

Well, it did the job as a new install but I have been updating maps for I don't know how many years using install to PC and then choosing what to put on the nuvi ever since the full maps got too big for my 660. I have never had the issue before, nor have I had the problem of a complete new download from the servers when I have updated my 760 (with a subset) after having updated the 2598.

I can only presume that Express or MapInstall have changed with the latest updates.

Whatever, it's a real pain to have to change to mass storage to delete a map and many users won't know how to do that.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8 GB SD card installed in my Nuvi and when it came to installing the new maps was told that I did not have enough free space. (I saved the existing "gmapprom" file to a location on my PC, deleted it from my SD card and it then installed). I now have approx 4.2 GB used and 3.5 GB free space.

Looking at the files now on the card, I also have a file called "gmapsupp", a disc image, file of approx. 0.8 GB and a folder containing a compressed file of similar name of 0.4 GB. Both have a date modified in 2013, so the recent update does not seem to have affected them.

Can I delete either or both these files from my SD card, to give me sufficient free space for the next update or are they, perhaps, the basic blocks on which the various map layers are built and need to remain?
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what those files are but if the dates don't match the latest map and assuming you don't have any other maps installed they can be removed.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
No idea what those files are but if the dates don't match the latest map and assuming you don't have any other maps installed they can be removed.

Thanks for reply. Smile
I also wasn't sure what they were for when I found them in my File Manager, so decided to ask before deleting.
(I have copied them to my PC hard-drive just in case they serve some purpose and I have to re-add them later).
BigJohnD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took 3 attempts because of "Failure to compete" errors, but it's done.
Wizzardoz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Mine downloaded OK. Always a bit of a gamble doing it the minute the map is released as the servers get a hammering. Worth waiting a few days IMO.

After a few attempts, it stays at building maps and then error!
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much space is on your hard drive? Express needs 13Gb of free space. If there isn't you'll get that error.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: