Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Smartlink Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Smartlink Traffic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been out in the car in the last week so I have no updates.

Do you use Garmin Express and did you accept the update for a GTM update about 3 weeks ago as that's when mine started going wrong?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cjyoung
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did download an update a few weeks back so perhaps that is what broke it - can I claim a fee for field testing their update as well as a partial refund I intend to claim for lack of availability of the service I have paid for once the issue is sorted out?
I have a full backup of my 2595 from early June 2014 so may return to that if I don't get a satisfactory resolution from Garmin Support next week. I'm getting frustrated with the complete lack of response from Garmin so far and it makes me wonder whether they care at all for their customers any more. I left the TomTom stable a few years back for lack of customer service and failing to fix an issue - I seem to be running out of options now for alternative manufacturers so hope Garmin's customer service team come back off leave soon.
Metblackrat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied the update and mine seems to be working fine (3597).

Does the traffic on the map on the phone correlate to what is shown on the satnav?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks

On mine no. I've been watching it and I'm finding that the data is very slow to come in for new incidents. On my way back from Eastbourne yesterday I was presented with loads of inaccurate 'overnight only' roadworks grey sections but no yellow or red sections. There were a few places I would have expected some yellow.

I noticed that my built in unit was showing a short section of delay at Hatton Cross but the Garmin had nothing. Only when I got to the back of the queue did the Garmin eventually show it as a yellow section.

Could it be the latest 2005.10 maps? Why is this map update considerably larger than the 2014 map it replaced forcing us all to buy a large SD card for it to fit on?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that map update considerably bigger? Must admit I didn't compare the two.

Are you now using the cable rather than smartlink? Just a thought but have you tried a master reset to see if that resolves the issues?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried everything.

I did rewire using the TA20 instead of my old hardwire kit but because I've performed an 'invisible' installation from the unit to the fusebox via the back of the dash with only about 4" of cable showing it can't pick up any traffic via the cable.

I guessed at the 'considerable' size increase because the 2015.10 maps went onto the SD card as they wouldn't fit onto the unit and the space left on the unit as a result was considerably less than the size of the maps. I can't remember the exact sizes off hand but the space left on the unit is now about 1.6Gb and the maps on the SD are about 3Gb. Previously I didn't need the card. I assume that these maps must be about 1.4Gb larger.

I think SmartLink is working but it's taking far longer to retrieve the data than before.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that as well as the map size increasing so do things like junction view etc. So the 'increase' isn't all down to the map.

As far as I can recall the increase for the full EU map, and only the map, was around a few hundred Mbs.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This where sods law has kicked in.

I looked at the Smartlink app after your suggestion and found a jam on a local A road that I use. I looked up how to take a screenshot on my HTC One and got a shot of the jam in Smartlink.

Stage 1 complete.

Went out to the car and plotted the route to work and waited a short while for it to find the traffic and hey presto up popped a yellow band where it should have been.

Maybe it's just a M25 thing at the moment as 2 of us here have spotted a recent change involving that road.

ps: No reply from Garmin re the digital traffic cable being it's antenna Rolling Eyes
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you contact them? I've always had a prompt response from product.support@garmin.com
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to do some more checking, especially Thu/Fri when the M25 western section is often a car park both ways, junctions 12 to 15. I used to get the expected red bars almost immediately after switching on but not of late.

Unfortunately Garmin do state that the accuracy of the data is outside of their remit.

On the positive side, come the end of September - no more M25 for me Very Happy
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a better solution, just avoid it Very Happy
cjyoung
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got a response from Garmin customer support this morning, so hopefully they will be able fix the issue. However initial response didn't seem too relevant as it included a document about using the GTM rather than anything to do with the 3D Live Traffic service and it not having worked via the Smartphone Link app for around 3 weeks!
Early days yet so fingers crossed.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update, you've got further than I have.

It's almost like that GTM update has set a flag to assume that's the device you are using and Smartlink is now playing second fiddle and eventually catches up.

Now I know how to perform screendumps on both my Smartlink phone and the Garmin I'm hoping to find time Friday during the usual M25 car park scenario to illustrate any issue.

Last Friday Smartlink was showing a series of '3 car' triangle symbols to signify a serious(ish) holdup on the M25 anti-clock from J15 to J12. On the Garmin 'no delay' and 'traffic up to date'.

ps: Garmin have just replied asking for more detail.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CJ, when did you update your maps to 2015.10?

I did mine when Garmin Express had a bug and it wiped some critical voice files. I put the files back via a separate download but I wonder whether it deleted or misconfigured something else?

I had another no traffic issue yesterday on an A road so I decided to reload my maps as gthat's the only thing I haven't done. Before the reload the Garmin traffic 'app' 2D overview on the Garmin was clean. After the update I could see some stretches of road showing yellow.
Before it updated the maps it said something like 'waiting to update files before the map'.

I'm not holding my breath but I'll see what I get later.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
cjyoung
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated to the 2015.10 maps not long after they became available, but don't recall that update causing an issue with the 3D Live Traffic service on my 2595.
I also note there was mention of trying a master reset in an earlier post; I've not tried that yet in case Garmin support ask for any specific evidence before doing that. Similarly I've not regressed back to a June 2014 full backup yet, but if I don't get a positive message of progress from Garmin by the weekend I'll be considering these steps to get the service working again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: