Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sygic Navigation: 2 for 1 Christmas Offer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sygic Navigation: 2 for 1 Christmas Offer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Sygic Navigation: 2 for 1 Christmas Offer Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.com
Sygic have today launched their 2 for 1 Christmas offer for Android users on top of their 30% discount. Simply purchase any of the Android versions of the app from their own E-Shop to receive an extra license that you can give to a friend. iOS users can only take advantage of the 30% discount due to the way the AppStore is run.

email icon
tomjerrycan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a no-brainer in my opinion

I got this offer last year it was £17.99 then too, I split the cost with a friend £8.99 each and got 2 licenses through in separate emails, turned out to be a brilliant deal as you can swap between devices as many times as you like, comes with free Speedcams and POI's built in which are really very good..
Lifetime map updates and the maps are stored on your SD card for complete offline useage, Sygic uses Tomtom maps too and they are smooth and look great, Sygic have also added a new HUD display for in-car use against your windscreen although I haven't upgraded to that as its a paid for upgrade..

Love using Sygic..even when out walking in Cambridge in the summer it didn't put a foot wrong and pointed out many things I never knew were there!
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find MaFt.

I downloaded the 7 day trial this morning and have been using it most of the day.

I'm very impressed, Sygic appears to have come a long way since I tried it and dismissed it on Android a couple of years ago. Best of all it works on my Moto Razr whereas TT doesn't and its easy to import 3rd party POI's such as the PgpsW camera data base.

I'm probably going to get the World version as a Christmas present to myself. It's much cheaper and more useful than the set of OS maps I was contemplating for my SatMap A10.

EDIT - Decided not to buy after all. It doesnt appear to fit me as well as I though it would.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Last edited by AliOnHols on Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately they're not including Truck in the twofer deals, at least I couldn't find it.

Truck is ideal for use in Motorhomes, due to the height and width limits.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone managed to convert the ov2 files into upi I've tried doing it and it just crashes.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you using to convert the files?
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded something but it kept crashing so I got rid of it, I cleaned my history afterwards, (do it daily) so not sure what it was called, so still looking for something which is known to work.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OV2 files are you trying to convert. If PGPSW cams, then download the right file, not the OV2 and use the Sygic converter.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I realised that, but it's my own POIs created over many years which I have only just managed to retrieve that I would like to convert to upi.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably you have tried converting OV2 to CSV then using Sygic's converter to make the RUPI file?
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, no, I didn't know I could do that Sad sounds complicated to me, I hoped POIEdit would do it, but it seems not, there must be a program which will do a straight convert, but Google is struggling to find one.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably won't find one. The .RUPI seems to be a Sygic 'thing'. I haven't tried it, but I think the POI Edit should convert OV2 to CSV??? Can someone confirm this.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long term I could simply go to the ov2 place and then create upi POI, but that might take years.

I like the app very much but they may have shot themselves in the foot by making it difficult to transfer POIs which some of us might have taken years to accumulate, which is a shame.

But it seems to OV2 to CSV to UPI is apparently possible, so I'll have to look in to that route for now Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

K13ehr wrote:
Has anyone managed to convert the ov2 files into upi I've tried doing it and it just crashes.

Despite what I said previously -
AliOnHols wrote:
.....I downloaded the 7 day trial this morning..... and its easy to import 3rd party POI's such as the PgpsW camera data base.....
It crashes every time for me also even though I was converting csv files. ( I read the blurb about importing POI's and it seemed easy enough to do without actually trying it, sorry).

I had assumed it was me doing something wrong or the fact that I was using the trial version of Sygic. I tried several times on different computers, downloaded csv (& txt and changed the header line as necessary) files from here, downloaded the converting program from Sygic's website and converted the files and transferred them to the Sygic as per the instructions.

Upon rebooting Sygic it informs me that new POIs have been found and then crashes as it tries to read them. When I look at the Files I copied into Sygic, the rupi/upi files have disappeared just leaving the bmp files.

Considering the above problems and first hand experience of a recent return trip to Barcelona via a waypoint, me not following the route it was doing it's best to divert me onto and the ensuing chaos I have decided not to purchase the full version when the trial expires tomorrow despite my initial positive posting.

K13ehr wrote:
..... but they may have shot themselves in the foot by making it difficult to transfer POIs ...
Agreed. I'm not against manufacturers using their own files for POIs but if they give us the opportunity to use our own (& 3rd party) POI's they should also allow a popular file type for import/export such as csv, gpx or kml instead of having to use their conversion programs.

EDITED several times.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
K13ehr
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad I decided call on the combined wisdom of the forum.

I think I may pass on it, until they decide to join in with the rest of the planet and use either a compatible file format or at least provide a conversion program that does it one hit and works once it has done so.

Shame, I liked the app more than any of the others I've tried so far, quite logical to use and a clearly defined navigation screen.

Mayb ethe next issue will have sorted these little but important issues.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: