Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin CSV to GPX Converter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kremmen,

sorry to jump in here, I am a little confused & don't seem to be getting the warnings working correctly. Hope you all can help. Firstly I assume we are talking about 'CSV Converter' I have version 2013.07.22.2116 & use it with a garmin nuvi 3598 & the full pgps camera files.

Reading the destructions, I understand that there is no voice for an overspeed warning, one has to be found on t'internet. I found one that says 'caution slow down' & added this to my camera folder on the pc, naming it 'overspeed.wav'

CSV Converter all seems to work ok, I use it to download & unzip the camera files & use the default settings within the program to generate the gpx files. All thre columns then turn green.

When approaching any camera, I get the normal pgps voice warning & then the added 'caution slow down' no matter how slowly I approach the camera. Is this correct? I assumed I would only get the 'caution slow down' warning if travelling faster than the speed limit?

What I would like is the overspeed warning only when I am above the speed limit & near a camera. I assumed this is what should happen?

Kremmin, in a previous post you said "

With the new separate overspeed warning I included recently you can now differentiate between an advance warning and a subsequent overspeed warning. "

How do I do this? I have OverSpeed Warn box ticked for separate.
Please could you explain a little more.

thanks for your help & support.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

I have an overspeed warning set and it only triggers on mine when I'm over the limit.

What I'll do later is logon to my main PC and produce a screendump of my screen so we can compare notes.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :

Last edited by Kremmen on Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that you have the Approach set to 14 seconds. I think this may the reason why you aren't getting any repeat warning and I am, as I have Mobiles set to 30 seconds (the handheld laser guns can reach a very long way).
There is a delay between the Approach bing and the extra Overspeed warnings. I'm just wondering if 14 sec isn't long enough to trigger the extra warnings - you'd have passed by the camera before they are triggered.

Try a longer Approach setting, say 30s and see if you get the extra warnings.
City Navigator Europe NT 2018.10
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
Hmmm

I have an overspeed warning set and it only triggers on mine when I'm over the limit.

And for Mobile cameras where your Approach is set to zero and you are over the limit?
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've recently turned Mobile's off as I tend to stay within the limit. I personally only want to know when I'm approaching a fixed camera.

The Garmin default distance is 36 seconds and I found that far too long. I based my 14 and 6 seconds on roughly the same periods I used to get from my Talex which I found a good set of distances.

As I said, I have 2 fixed cameras near me that are on opposite carriageways so I can overstep the mark to test.

One of the cameras is a fixed 50 Gatso. If I do 60mph I get the initial warning and 1 additional overspeed warning. If I do 55mph I often get 2 overspeed warnings as there is obviously time to fit them in. I can see where 30 seconds would produce a string of back to back warnings but unfortunately that's Garmin and nothing I can do about it.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for being really obtuse here Confused
So what does setting OverSpeed to zero do? You've obviously used that in the past for Mobiles.

In the past you've said (the first of several such mentions):
Quote:
If you set either of them to zero then it will not produce any warning for that item for that entry.

I tend to set my Mobile camera alerts to 14 (approach) and zero (overspeed). I therefore only get a warning when I am 14 seconds away and that's it, regardless of my speed.

Is this now not so?

Thanks for your patience.
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting the overspeed to zero should only produce GPX files with an included # and no @ lines.

On older Garmin units this was sufficient for them to only produce a single approach warning and that is all I used to get on both my Garmin 2200 and my Garmin 50.

You have confirmed via inspection that you have GPX files with only # in them but you are still getting continual overspeed warnings.

If this is the case then Garmin have changed their software to produce this and I have no control.

I'm planning to update my cameras this weekend and I will be setting all my overspeed to zero and then see what happens.

I'm as intrigued by this as you are.

Shame I can't use the 'GPS off' facility to simulate speeding to test !
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any of this have to do with the Proximity Points/Alerts/Audio: Single Tone or Continuous setting on the device? I did try setting to Single Tone on one journey to no avail.

I could also experiment with a silent OverSpeed sound file, but that also means no over speed warning on Gatsos where I do feel I need them.

Argh! Mad
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Sad

The test I want to perform is to create a series of files with the just the # in them.
If you look at the current ones you should have two almost identical lines one with # and one with @

The way I understood it the # produced a mandatory warning and the @ produced the overspeed where necessary. The proximity is set by the seconds value.

So the theory is that, in my case, I will always get a warning 14 seconds before the camera regardless of my speed. The second line with the @ inside should only produce a warning when 6 seconds away and your over the limit.

What you can do, if you have time, is identify one of your local cameras and tinker with the file. You are safe to mess with both the proximity and the # and @ markers.

I am really short of time at the moment hence all the chat and no action.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
wibbley
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: overspeed (not me officer) Reply with quote

HI,

When producing the 'overspeed' file using csv converter & then opening it using 'POI Editor for Tomtom' (POIEdit does not like opening gpx files for some reason) I only get a list of files with '@' there is no '#' anywhere.

Using csv converter & the latest pgpsw camera database, it shows 15080 total cameras read, 14037 cameras written. 'POI Editor for Tomtom' shows 14200 lines.

So It seems Garmin can have a proximity alert AND overspeed alert but not just overspeed alert with no proximity warning. Just a limitation of Garmin I suppose.

Oh for a GarTom or for an open source product.....

Thanks for developing the CSV converter program, it makes downloading & installing the PGPSW database so much simpler & removing the duplicate cameras is great. It would be great to include the sox.exe and a overspeed.wav in the download, to save new users having to hunt for these files themselves.
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unable to test this at the moment until maybe Monday, but I've looked at the GPX files and looked at the different Proximity values for @ and # lines.

Here's the question that needs testing: What if I had a Proximity value of zero for the @ lines in the Mobile camera files?

At the moment when the OverSpeed setting is set to zero you aren't writing any @ lines to the GPX files. But what if you did - using zero or if not allowed 1?

Without any @ lines maybe the Garmin is taking over and making the extra warnings by itself. If the @ lines were put in with zero or a low valve, maybe, just maybe Confused the device will follow the instructions accordingly.

I'm not holding my breath... Laughing
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m-a-r-k wrote:

Here's the question that needs testing: What if I had a Proximity value of zero for the @ lines in the Mobile camera files?

POILoader implements a proximity of "0" literally...

It doesn't do the same thing when it encounters a speed of zero though (ie @0); that is just ignored and no alert information is stored. (The minimum value for speed=1 and that sets a proximity of 402m and a minimum speed of 45cm/sec. )
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been ages since I looked at the code so I needed to refresh myself.

If the approach or overspeed value is set to zero then the converter ignores that type of camera event and you shouldn't get a line written.

This can be tested by setting say the Gatso50 to zero/zero and there should be no Gatso50 written.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
m-a-r-k
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the idea works you could change the code and get the converter to write the line out surely? Laughing
I could quickly test it with values of 1 or I think I'll just edit the gpx files for my 2 local mobile sites.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 9 of 74

Jump to: