Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Will we see new devices from TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Will we see new devices from TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Will we see new devices from TomTom? Reply with quote

As the PND market seems to be moving towards navigation using smartphones, TomTom's revenues are down and they are cutting jobs, will we see new devices from TomTom. or will the 1000 series be the pinnacle of their achievements?
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They used to be in the pda market when I started but moved away from them due to pirating of their software into the PND market ,this is why you find all these ways of being kept out of their software as they want total control ....So I would be surprised if they did go down this route again ,although I would welcome it as I would prefer a PDA..
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few places have had the 1000 on clearance - 1000 Live UK & ROI for £114 which may suggest they know something we don't
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Will we see new devices from TomTom? Reply with quote

pward wrote:
As the PND market seems to be moving towards navigation using smartphones, TomTom's revenues are down and they are cutting jobs, will we see new devices from TomTom. or will the 1000 series be the pinnacle of their achievements?

Smartphone apps. are sure to be a larger slice of their market in the future, both iPhone and Android.

But I think there will still be a place for top-end dedicated PNDs.
Unfortunately I don't think I'd agree with your description of the Go1000 as the "pinnacle" of their achievements. I think would give that accolade to much earlier models such as the Go720 or the Go940, both quite revolutionary in their time.

Now, if they changed their strategy and produced a model with all the speed and display improvements of later models and all the features (plus more!) of the earlier ones, maybe they could reverse their fortunes and win back the large slice of their market they lost.
People simply don't want devices that do less than their old one could do..
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is bound to be a new model around the corner... fast processor and bigger screen (5" minimum standard plus a Plus of 5.4 or something would be nice)

Also some new features required to make us PND users think yes, I will spend £200-£300 on a new unit

If the spec was right, I would be among the first in the que
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
pward wrote:

Smartphone apps. are sure to be a larger slice of their market in the future, both iPhone and Android.

They seem to be lagging behind in developing one for Android - this is a huge market that they're missing out on

I'd also consider an upgrade if TomTom comes up with something good becuase the 550 is in dry dock and although I love the integration of the BMW Sat Nav the routing does leave something to be desired. What I do like though is sending destinations from the laptop/Google maps direct to the car, ready to go when I set off. If TomTom offer this, a decent non reflective screen and a fast processor, all at an affordable price, I could be seriously tempted, although I've no idea where I'd fit it in the car Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: