Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Enough's enough
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Enough's enough
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Enough's enough Reply with quote

After a long time nursing my 950 Live through map updates triggering constant reboots, failing to turn off properly so it drains the battery while I'm sat in a short meeting (I use(d) it to find my way from trains to offices), not knowing whether mapshare would screw it up if I enabled it and weekly file corruption connecting it to a PC, my 950 has finally passed away.

I've had several tomtom devices over the years and they've been hassle but when they work, they're good especially HD traffic.

So I used tomtom chat to ask how to transfer my Live subscription and Map Update service to an iPhone if I bought their app. I'm told it's not possible to transfer subscriptions to the iPhone app so it's time to review what other apps are currently available. Bosch's currently discounted app looks decent, for the price.

Farewell TomTom.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Enough's enough Reply with quote

Tobas wrote:
Bosch's currently discounted app looks decent, for the price.

At 1,2GB for just UK & ROI it must have something special about it although it was only released yesterday so I doubt you will find out too much about it on the net as yet - Mike
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic looks good too - nice videos on the web site. Not sure if it wouldn't be rather cluttered though visually. Do let us know how you get on!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its actually very good in use with a clear and easy to read screen, couple of silly niggles though:

1/ Difficult to enter a new destination without quitting the app.

2/ Entering a PostCode is a real PITA due to you having to enter the space between the two parts, sounds trivial but in practice you end up switching between letters and numbers too many times.

Navigation and the routes it provides have been very good, the voice is a little robotic though and lacks TTS - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I used tomtom chat to ask how to transfer my Live subscription and Map Update service to an iPhone if I bought their app. I'm told it's not possible to transfer subscriptions to the iPhone app so it's time to review what other apps are currently available.

They transferred the monetary value of the remaining amount of my old 540 LIVE subscription to my iPhone app after multiple issues with my 540. As the iPhone subscription is cheaper it was extended accordingly.

As for the Map Update subscription it's not necessary. Once you buy the app all new versions which include the new map are free.

Might want to ask TT again....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
As for the Map Update subscription it's not necessary. Once you buy the app all new versions which include the new map are free.

They have remained free up to now but there is no way of knowing how much longer this will carry on for, they have something up their sleeve for the next update as its already known that it won't work on the 3G model - Mike
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, how do you enter a postcode into V1.3? It's not at all obvious although I'll probably regret saying that when you tell me how easy the option is to find Rolling Eyes

Paul, not the first time I've asked although I will say they offered to do a free out of warranty repair when battery life dropped to 10 mins. Didn't need it though, it turned out that yet another cockup as a result of an upgras was the device didn't turn off. I'd press the power switch, see the anti-theft reminder screen and put it in it's case. What I didn't realise was the anti-theft screen was staying on until the battery went flat. A few flash clears and that was sorted, what I'm sick of is having to do a flash clear whenever I plug it into the PC. That and some days it just refuses to start or reboots within seconds of "writing route" even thought it's not been near a PC or an upgrade since the last time it was used.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap the screen at the bottom then select "Destination" followed by "New Destination" make sure country is set to Great Britain (GB) and one of the options is Postal Code.

You then need to enter the postcode as two sets of alpha-numeric characters with a space in the middle (its the space thats the PITA to be honest and you will soon see what I mean) - Mike
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I hadn't re-selected the country so all that appears is the previous entry, as I hadn't keyed in a postal code to the previous destination then the postal code option wasn't available for a new one.
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
So I used tomtom chat to ask how to transfer my Live subscription and Map Update service to an iPhone if I bought their app. I'm told it's not possible to transfer subscriptions to the iPhone app so it's time to review what other apps are currently available.

They transferred the monetary value of the remaining amount of my old 540 LIVE subscription to my iPhone app after multiple issues with my 540. As the iPhone subscription is cheaper it was extended accordingly.

Might want to ask TT again....

It's a shame they don't offer a published migration path, they act more like a mobile phone company who offer you nothing until you phone up to leave then offer you what you originally wanted and more. I've had a subscription transferred before from a 750 to the current 950 so I know they do it, but they only do it when you've proved you're migrating because you're old unit is knackered. I'm more annoyed than usual because I paid £35.80 two weeks ago for a year's map update service and my Live service has got another 10 months to go. TT knew my 950 was knackered when they said there was no transfer of subscriptions. Disgraceful.

A lot of people like to have the latest piece of kit or want the new features of the latest kit, if TT made it easy to migrate just because you want to, they'd have a lot more loyalty.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd, because I have a support ticket from TT where they said would transfer all subscriptions either between devices or between owners if the device changed hands.

They never do get their story straight do they Shocked
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Odd, because I have a support ticket from TT where they said would transfer all subscriptions either between devices or between owners if the device changed hands.

They never do get their story straight do they Shocked

My tomtom ticket has been updated to confirm they DO NOT migrate subscriptions from a tomtom device to the iphone app however in the circumstances they will migrate subscriptions to a new device and offered me 20% discount on a new device from tomtom themselves.

And so on to the Bosch app. A few niggles to start with such as a problem with receiving traffic info. I run a 3GS updated to ios5, maybe not the best move as even Safari crashes. I turned traffic on on the Bosch app, gave my itunes password and it was supposed to be enabled but the app crashed. It runs now with the traffic option enabled but I've not been billed by itunes for the traffic yet. The issues is with Bosch support who have been responding to a few questions quickly.

Seeing as it's a tomtom device section, I'll compare a few features to my ex-950. The screen movement is smooth, unlike the 950. Lane guidance is cool, not the splash screen of the 950 which was sometimes nearly right but one box per lane, green means you should be in it, amber means you should be thinking about getting out of it and red means you're in the wrong lane. One box per lane appears on screen and as you approach a junction, the boxes change colour as you should be moving to the right lane. Today's example where Bosch is superior to tomtom is the M1 junction as you head east on the M62. Tomtom tells you to keep to the left until the last minute, that's the M1 north lane. Bosch shows 4 green blocks up to half a mile away, then the left two go amber then red while the right two, the ones I needed to be in to go to Hull, stayed green. Cool.

The Bosch data also knows about far more mini-roundabouts than tomtom ever showed, including the one a mile from home that's been there at least 10 years.

Obviously the screen is small and did seem crowded at first but I've been used to the large screen of the 950.

Like I said, I've probably messed up the traffic when it crashed but they use INRIX who also provide a free iphone app. I checked it later this afternoon before I headed back to Lancaster and it showed all the problems on the M6 North as you headed towards preston and the same info as tomtom/livetraffic was showing.

The journey I took to avoid the traffic was up the A1 and across to Hawes, the Bosch came up with the same route as my 950 used to.

That leads me to the other funky feature, curve-o-meter. Pushing it a bit down the empty lanes from Hawes, whenever there was more than a slight corner and I was approaching faster than it thought I should be, it gave a visual and audio warning and even noted the direction of the bend. I was intentionally pushing it to see what the warnings were like and when I backed off, it didn't give any warnings.

Speed warnings are better than the 950 as well, if there's a speed decrease, say 50 down to 30 and you're doing 50 as you approach, it warns you before the 30 sign to slow down.

Hopefully traffic will be sorted soon and I won't miss my 950 at all. I certainly won't miss tomtom themselves. Still mightily annoyed I've got nothing from them after spending £36 two weeks ago even though I was going to buy their iphone app.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tobas, nice write up. This looks very interesting & apparently Bosch are working on an Android version too so maybe we'll all be using navigation apps soon.

On a cost front I dread to think how much I've spent on various TomToms & map updates etc and I'd probably have to spend over £75 pa on apps & updates before losing out, so that looks good

The only thing that concerns me is the small screen size of phones, I've used Google to navigate on my HTC Desire and although the high res screen was great, and a big improvement over the blocky images on the x50 it wasn't easy to use from a distance - I'll be watching this interest though
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a think about my Bosch comments since last night, my main worry being that my comments were made at a time when if I could have got hold of a tomtom sales person, I would happily shove my deceased 950 where the sun don't shine. On reflection, where I've compared Bosch to TomTom, the facts are correct.

I like the Bosch app, a bit of a shaky start with New Destinations and postcodes but Bosch got back to me nearly as quickly as PGPS forum users Smile Hopefully the traffic issue will be fixed soon as well but at least they've not taken my money for it yet (probably the reason it doesn't work?).

Yes, I like the Bosch app and at the current price it's excellent value for money. The curve-o-meter is a bit gimmicky but the lane warnings are impressive.

Keeping within a TomTom devices chat, does anyone know if the tomtom car mount with built-in bluetooth will connect to another device i.e. my iPhone is my personal mobile which I now use as a satnav but when I'm in the car I need to use my other (office) mobile handsfree. If the tomtom mount will power the iphone but give me handsfree speech for my Nokia E71, I'll seriously consider buying it - unless there's any alternatives? (I don't like bluetooth earpieces)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom mount uses the docking connection to supply the GPS data and power to the iPhone, it uses Bluetooth for the audio.

Its possible that it might do what you want from it by pairing the other phone with the TomTom mount but it uses A2DP for the connection, I am not too sure about the HFP mode your Nokia would need for Bluetooth handsfree, if I get chance later I will try it in my own car and see what happens - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: