Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map 5.1.3 and Windows Mobile v6.5 + WM6.5 to 6.1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map 5.1.3 and Windows Mobile v6.5 + WM6.5 to 6.1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:54 am    Post subject: Memory Map 5.1.3 and Windows Mobile v6.5 + WM6.5 to 6.1 Reply with quote

As far as I can gather, Memory Map will not be compatible with the new Windows Mobile 7 (or is it windows phone?), so I am panicking that all my maps will go to waste when I next need a new mobile phone.

My current O2 XDA II (I think same as HTC Touch Cruise) runs Windows Mobile 6.1 and I run Memory Map version 5.1.3 OS edition on it. (I tried updating to later versions, but the new licence procedure drove me mad, especially after I had to restore my operating system).

So, I thought I might try to get a new Windows Mobile v6 phone before it's too late, but I suspect they all come with Windows Mobile v6.5.

So, does anyone know (or have experience of)
1. If Memory Map 5.1.3 OS version runs under Windows Mobile v6.5?
2. If I bought a PDA phone with Windows Mobile v6.5, would I be able to go back to v6.1?
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry, I don't have any experience of the latter versions of Windows Mobile/Phone, I'm still using MM (mainly v5.1.3) on various WM5/6 PDAs. Most of the following I've gleaned from MM's own support forum:

Firstly, I don't believe MM have done anything with v5.4.x to improve the compatibility with Windows Mobile. It does have some advantages (but also disadvantages) compared with v5.1.3, for example load/backup features and support for their new .QC3 file format which supports larger files (some are free, e.g. worldwide overview maps and the 1:10k OS Streetview maps).

No, AFAIK WM7 is not supported (and never will be). M$ first "broke" WM6.1(?) when .QCT files of only up to perhaps 100MB could be opened (on some devices). Then for the latest version (WM6.5.?) they moved one of the icon/buttons on a taskbar which made some apps like MM almost unusable. I doubt if the OS can be downgraded to WM6.1 (certainly I can't help). IMHO, MM is intrinsically designed to use a precise "pointing" device (stylus/mouse) so is not ideally suited to any capacitive (direct finger contact) screen.

You might still get an "obsolete" PDA/phone from someone like TotalPDA, or other options are the iPhone/Pod/Pad app from MM or Android (which has been promised by MM for the Autumn). These may not have the full functionality of the original WM app. but are/will be presumably optimised for capacitive screens.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
peterun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:17 am    Post subject: Memory Map 5.1.3 and Windows Mobile v6.5 + WM6.5 to 6.1 Reply with quote

thanks for that response.

I'll have to study a bit more, and work out the implications of capacitive screens, not sure you can use an old fashioned stylus, or as I usually do the cap end of a bic type pen (after losing the original stylus)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: