Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Online Route Planner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Route Planner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Online Route Planner Reply with quote

As a new Active 10 owner, I've found that the online route planner seems to have lots of issues.
It seems a bit flakey at the best of times, and seems to behave differently in different browsers - or even in different versions of the same browser, e.g. Firefox v4 vs v3.6

In order to get it to work at all, I'm having to use two different browsers (under Windows 7) for different operations, as follows:
* IE8 will create, edit and save routes - but when I try to download the GPX file to my PC, the status bar at the bottom says "Errors on page" and nothing happens
* I then have to open a saved route in FF4, and use THAT to download the GPX file
[Until today, FF4 refused to display the OS 1:25k map - showing just a larger scale Bing map. Tonight, it has mysteriously started showing the OS map - but goes barmy when I try to edit waypoints - just as Google Chrome does]

Satmap claim that Mozilla are "working" on the FF issue and that they (Satmap) are bringing out a new version in a couple of months anyway.

Do we have any experts on board who can advise me how best to proceed in the short term until these things are (hopefully!) fixed? In particular, any clues as to what IE8's "Errors on page" message means, and how to fix it.

Also, has anyone produced an "idiots'guide" to using the route planner (when it's working properly)? There's a single page about it in the downloadable SatSYNC guide - but that doesn't tell you very much. I would like to know things such as:
* Can you insert a waypoint between two existing waypoints, or prior to the start point?
* How is '3D' supposed to work? [Mostly, it does nothing - but occasionally it seems to indicate that I'm missing some plug-in or other]
* What is "Bird's Eye" view for? [Clicking on that does nothing whatsoever.]

Sorry if I'm sounding like a whinger - I'm actually very pleased with the Active 10 - but I just think that it's badly let down by the Route Planner.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/
Try this instead. (Register and Log In to access 1:25k maps)

The Satmap is a fantastic bit of kit.
However, the On-Line Route Planner is a bit flakey.

Roger
sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or this one:

www.bikehike.co.uk
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerfrit wrote:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/
Try this instead. (Register and Log In to access 1:25k maps)
Roger

Great - thanks! I had seen it before but had erroneously assumed that it only covered the Scottish Highlands.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Or this one:

www.bikehike.co.uk

Interesting - thanks.

However, it doesn't seem to use OS 1:25k maps. When you zoom in from 1:50k it seems to go straight to something I don't recognise (maybe 1:10k?) which is very detailed but doesn't show definitive rights of way. [My interest is for footpath walking rather than road/track use]

Am I missing something?

sussamb
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, didn't realise you specifically wanted 1:25,000. I use it cos my simple brain can cope Laughing
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sussamb wrote:
Nope, didn't realise you specifically wanted 1:25,000. I use it cos my simple brain can cope Laughing

Fair enough! But Satmap's Router Planner does 1:25k (when it works!) so I would need something with the same functionality.

It could be useful for occasional road use though - because of its ability to follow wiggles in the road without needing to specify hundreds of points. However, I would normally use my TomTom for that.

Thanks for the link anyway - I'm sure that others will be interested.

AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkm_hm wrote:
When you zoom in from 1:50k it seems to go straight to something I don't recognise (maybe 1:10k?) which is very detailed but doesn't show definitive rights of way.
Hi,

Yes, it's the 1:10k "OS StreetView" mapping (not to be confused with Google's Streetview) which is available free from OS Opendata and other sources*. Sadly, as you say, it does not include any footpaths or other features useful for country walking.

* For example, if you use the latest Memory Map software on a PC, it's a free download from the Digital Map Shop (more than 10GB in total). Also, someone on their forum has converted the corresponding Postcode database (also free from the OS) to use in the Placenames search.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllyCat wrote:

For example, if you use the latest Memory Map software on a PC, it's a free download from the Digital Map Shop (more than 10GB in total).

Cheers, Alan.

Useful - thanks. Is the download segmented, or do you have to do it all in one go? If the latter, it would break my bandwidth allowance!

AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roger,

There are various methods, partly depending on the device you're using (it can be downloaded directly to an iPhone for example).

But in general, it starts with a "blank" map (white with small black crosses) on the screen and downloads the "visible area" (i.e. set by the window size/position). You can then scroll to another area and download more (which adds to the same single map file) until you've reached your need or limit.

Just a minor word of warning about a "feature" of MM: This map will probably be the "largest scale" (in MM's terms the "best") map and covers the whole GB, so if you use the placenames search it will always dump you into this map even if the only content is black crosses. Mad

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: On Line Route Planner Reply with quote

Ordnance Survey getamap at £18.00 per year is brilliant value and does 1:25000 scale mapping.
Rogerfrit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ordnance Survey getamap at £18.00 per year is brilliant value and does 1:25000 scale mapping.

So, how is it better than the FREE http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/ which uses a full screen 1:25k map, and allows route planning and GPX import and export?

Roger
SmellyBoots
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: On Line Route Planner Reply with quote

I didn't claim it was better than anything else. The original query related to the SatMap route planner and my post related to that. The OS route planner is better value than the SatMap route planner.

Having said that I think it is the case (but please correct me if I am wrong) that the OS route planner has some additional functionality which I don't think Walkhighlands has. These include the ability to print at an accurate 1:25k or 1:50k scale which is helpful for those of us who still carry and use a compass; allowing several routes on one map page; ability to email map pages to friends.

Walkhighlands is an excellent site and one big advantage over the OS site is that the maps load faster.

John
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: On Line Route Planner Reply with quote

SmellyBoots wrote:
The OS route planner is better value than the SatMap route planner.

I'm not sure I understand that - unless you're saying that 18 quid for something which works is better than a freebie which doesn't work?

In any event, Walkhighlands has to be even better value!

rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OS route planner requires Silverlight so that makes it a non-starter for me.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: