Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

I have in the past given up with navcore 9.058 as my Go950 kept rebooting and 9.054 wasn't much better so have been using 9.026 for an age. I came across navcore 9.120 a few days ago which works pretty much perfectly for me. The 2D/3D bug is gone and my unit does not randomly reboot or go sluggish.

Any idea why this navcore was released for the go750 only and not for the go950? Not sure if there are any features I am missing out on but for me this navcore is rather good.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

blush wrote:

Any idea why this navcore was released for the go750 only and not for the go950?.

It wasn't!

Official latest Navcore for the entire x40 and x50 ranges is v9.058 (although it has never appeared on TT's "Application updates overview" webpage)

v9.120 is for the XL ² only AFAIK.

Where did you "come across it"? Laughing
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

I bet it was on one of those Underground or Market type websites that the powers that be here do not endorse or approve of. Wink Rolling Eyes

Although if this Navcore works perfectly well on the x40 and x50 series it does beg the question as to why TomTom have also not made it officially available for the x40 and x50 series units. Crying or Very sad
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Andy_P wrote:

I bet it was on one of those Underground or Market type websites that the powers that be here do not endorse or approve of. Wink Rolling Eyes

Well if you want to wade through all the spam and crap and viruses that infest those places be my guest...
I'd rather download it direct from the TomTom servers - easy if you know where to look.

WackyRaces wrote:
Although if this Navcore works perfectly well on the x40 and x50 series it does beg the question as to why TomTom have also not made it officially available for the x40 and x50 series units. Crying or Very sad

Which makes you wonder if it does (properly)....
Even TomTom are not so stupid as to waste development effort creating different versions for different devices if they don't need to.
And if there was a way to avoid all the complaints they've had about v9.058, wouldn't they jump at the chance?
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

v9.120 is for the XL ² only AFAIK.

I found the link on another forum Smile

The file is direct from TomTom servers, dunno if I'm allowed to post links or not but here it is. Cool

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.120.522640.GO750.CAB-navcore-GO750.cab
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

blush wrote:
The file is direct from TomTom servers, dunno if I'm allowed to post links or not but here it is. Cool

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.120.522640.GO750.CAB-navcore-GO750.cab

Well that is interesting given that TomTom have formally given the cab file a name suggesting it is a suitable Navcore for a 750 unit. If that is the case then it clearly should also work on a 550 or a 750. It may or may or may not work on a 540, 740 or 940 given that these units were installed with different SIM card stock that would not work with the earlier Navcores for the x50 series (eg Navcore 9.026 or Navcore 9.054).

I am going to take a backup of my 940 and give it a try. Although what is the installation method? Do I just copy it over the top of the equivalent files on my 940?

Regarding what is or is not TomTom's Navcore Navcore release strategy as commented on by Andy_P I can only say that I have no faith in the competence of TomTom in developing or releasing any Navcores since they know that Navcore 9.058 has a number of terminal failings but fail to do anything to correct the problem. This despite the fact that the final batches of 550 and 750 Live units are still in sale in high street retail outlets.

And the complete fiasco over the Latest Map Guarantee for the 1000 series clearly shows that the marketing tail at TomTom wags not the very competent IT department Navcore development dog who often cannot keep up with its overly demanding marketing tail master.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

blush wrote:

WackyRaces wrote:
Well that is interesting

As he says... interesting!

Replacing the 7's with 9's in the URL doesn't work, so there's a bit of detective work involved to find if there's a 950 alternative.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Replacing the 7's with 9's in the URL doesn't work, so there's a bit of detective work involved to find if there's a 950 alternative.

And nor does replacing 750 with 940.

More information on all the different Navcore downloads currently available on TomTom's own site can be found at:-

www.4youshared.com/sharedfiles/NavCore/URL's_NavCore.txt

As the information on this page only points to TomTom's own available Navcore downloads I don't see how it can specifically be copyright theft etc.

However basically this new Navcore is not listed against any other model than the 750 even though there would be every possible reason to think that it might also work with a 540, 740, 940, 550 and 950 Go unit. No doubt it will turn out to be a customised Navcore for a version of the 750 only distributed by certain retailers (eg Fiat, Renault etc).
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cab file contains apparently new versions of LoqAudioBoard.so for the LoquendoTTS\lib subdirectory and LTTS7AudioBoard.so for the LoquendoTTS\bin subdirectory. I don't know whether these files address any of the longstanding faults with poor speech pronunciation by TomTom's implementation of Loquendo.
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:
Well that is interesting given that TomTom have formally given the cab file a name suggesting it is a suitable Navcore for a 750 unit. If that is the case then it clearly should also work on a 550 or a 750. It may or may or may not work on a 540, 740 or 940 given that these units were installed with different SIM card stock that would not work with the earlier Navcores for the x50 series (eg Navcore 9.026 or Navcore 9.054).

I am going to take a backup of my 940 and give it a try. Although what is the installation method? Do I just copy it over the top of the equivalent files on my 940?

Yes just copy the files over the top. I have had this navcore running for a few days and so far no reboots and everything working fine and updates in Home too.

Good luck, hope it works for you.
WackyRaces
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

blush wrote:
Yes just copy the files over the top. I have had this navcore running for a few days and so far no reboots and everything working fine and updates in Home too.

Good luck, hope it works for you.

The only issue is that I have a 940 and before Navcore 9.058 the x40 series wouldn't work with Navcore 9 whilst also being able to access the Live services and still use the FM transmitter etc. So it rather depends on whether this new Navcore also incorporates the changes made in 9.058 to allow SIM cards in the x40 series units to still access the Live services.

In any case I think I need to return my 940 to TomTom (I have already had this offer from David Watkins the Head of Customer Services) to have a problem with the spring on the on/off switch having failed addressed and to have a new SIM card of the type used in the x50 series installed. Since Andy_P had his SIM card replaced in his x40 he seems to have been able to log to the Live services in a minute or so as I notice does happen with my relative's 750 under Navcore 9.058 but not with my 940 and the original x40 series SIM card.

My list of issues with Navcore 9.058 include:-

1. Screen Changes to 2D Mode From 3D Mode When A Route is Cleared and Does Not Change Back to 3D Mode When A New Route Is Selected.

2. Battery Runs Down Quickly When The Unit Is Powered Down Unless Clear Route Is Used Before The Unit is Turned Off.

3. Route is Not Cleared Automatically When "You Have Reached Your Destination" is Announced

4. Announcemement of Arrival At A Way Point and/or Verbal Count Down of Distance to Arrival At A Way Point (eg Petrol Station) does not work

5. No Verbal Announcement That Traffic On Your Route Has Changed, Even Though Options Are Set For The Unit To Do This. In Navcore 8.371 This "Traffic Has Changed" Announcement Was Read Out When There Was New Traffic Info On Route.

6. Petrol Prices - Still Many Dead Stations in Database or Stations With No Price Update For Many Weeks or Months.

7. Google Live Search Does Not Work Properly For Many Destinations and the POI is Often up to a Mile Out Compared to the Actual Place on the Ground.

8. Basic Road and Place Address Details Are Not Shown Against A Petrol Station POI WIthout Using Show Info and This is Greyed Out Nearly All The Time For Petrol Stations.

9. Heavy Screen Pressure Required For Input To Be Recognised on 940 Unit Compared to Screen Pressure Required Under Navcore 8.371 on my 940 or Pressure Required for X50 Unit With Navcore 9.058

10. Volume Sometimes Impossible To Increase From Low Level Setting in 3D View When On The Move. Have to Change to 2D View To Change It.
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Go950 running navcore 9.120 for Go750 Reply with quote

WackyRaces wrote:

1. Screen Changes to 2D Mode From 3D Mode When A Route is Cleared and Does Not Change Back to 3D Mode When A New Route Is Selected.

I can relate to this one, bugged the hell out of me. I really couldn't believe that such a seemingly simple function could be broken. I am glad to say that it is fixed under 9.120.

The main problem for me with 9.058 with a go950 was a reboot loop which was quite random. Sometimes the unit powered up and worked and other times it would reboot perhaps six times in a row and then during navigation it would reboot without warning. If you are on a motorway with the next instruction a good way off then it didnt really matter but I got caught out in central London or another large city centre then the damn tomtom came close to being ejected out of the window. So far I havent had a single reboot and I hope it stays like that.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue with running 750 software on the 940/ 950 will be a lack of support for the EPT system, you might find the device crashes if you go in to a tunnel, or the EPT might simply not work - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll test this on my 740 (on an SD Card) tomorrow. Not sure if I'll get a chance to test the EPT though....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TomTom would be very interested to hear if you have got EPT working on a 740.......

Only the 920, 930, 940 and 950 had this system installed in terms of harware - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: