Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding French Hotels
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding French Hotels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quarkrad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Adding French Hotels Reply with quote

Have TomTom v9 I have downloaded from this site a ov2 and bmp for French Hotels. I have copied them to my map but I'm having trouble 'seeing them'. I was hoping the new hotels would appear within the Hotel/motel set so if I wanted directiond to a hotel I could go - Navigate to.... Point of Interest..... POI in City....... (enter city on next screen) Hotel/motel but they are not there. What I have managed to do,after coping ov2/bmp to my map folder was Change Preferences, Manage POIs, Add POI Catagory. I can navigate to a hotel now by navigating via the new POI catagory I created but I have no idea, or knw if it is possible, to add the French Hotels to the existing Hotel/motel catagory. Any help or a page that explains how to appreciated.[/i]
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not quite following you with what you have done
but you should download the file and you should end up with 2 files a bmp and a ov2 file which should be placed into your map file that you are using.
then it should be there if you navigate to/ from city etc ..
you can also browse map and you should see all the places if you have the poi enabled
hope this helps
Very Happy
Quarkrad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. What I'm finding is that having added the files - if I Navigate to a POI in a City and select Hotel/motel it is the same list as before I added the ov2/bmp files. I can prove this because I have created a new POI catagory and if I choose that I can see , for example, a ibis hotel. The reason I was hoping the new hotels would be in the TomTom's Hotel/motel catagory is that every time I update with more hotels using my method I have to create new catagories which is rediculous. I'm assuming I'm not doing it properly. Having added the ov2/bmp files to my map how do I make the TomTom aware and how do I tell it what catagory the files belong to?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The category that you will need to select (after you have entered the City name), will be the same name as the name on the OV2 file you copied to the Folder.

The TomTom does not merge the new file in to the existing data. It will be a separate category entry who's name will match the name of the Files you download and copy to the Unit.

The other point is, are you copying the files in to the Folder called map, or the Folder that is your current Map Folder? Called United Kingdom and Ireland, Western Europe, or something similar.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Quarkrad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I think I'm understanding how it works a little. Are we saying then that if we download French hotels POI and install it on the Tomtom we cannot (effectively) add the new hotel to the list currently in the TomTom under its own Hotel/motel poi catagory? If we call the files Fr_Hotels.ovs/bmp then we have to create a new catagory for them, e.g. French Hotels. So, if in a years time, we download the same files (assuming it has new hotels added) and call it Fr_Hotels.ov2/bmp again and put it in the map folder then the French Hotel catagory will be updated? So you can update catagories that you create (but you have to use the same file(s) name) but you cannot update TomTom's own built in catagories. The map I have is Alps plus major roads of Western Europe and I put the ov2/bmp files in is folder together with all the .dat, .met files for the map. I am interested in France and Spain and thought that if I downloaded the POI's for these countries and called them Fr_Hotels.ov2/bmp and Sp_Hotels.ov2/bmp then the new hotels would appear under the TomTom's internal Hotel/motel POI catagory. It looks to me it doesn't work this way. Perhaps I have to create two new POI catagories - French Hotels and Spain Hotels. (I believe I can combine them into one file but if my logic is right I would still have to create a new catagory. Or is there a way of getting the new Hotels into TomTom's own Hotel/motel catagory?).
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
The TomTom does not merge the new file in to the existing data. It will be a separate category entry who's name will match the name of the Files you download and copy to the Unit.

This is the main point.... The TomTom always treats its own built-in POI categories totally separately from any that you add yourself, so you need to look for a distinct POI category name for your French hotels (once they are installed correctly).

There WAS a way to merge your own files with the internal ones, a little trick I was very proud of discovering.

It was explained in this topic
Adding your own POIs to TTs built in ones
, and for a while it worked brilliantly. But some time ago it stopped working for me after a software update and I haven't tried it again recently.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quarkrad wrote:
.... called them Fr_Hotels.ov2/bmp and Sp_Hotels.ov2/bmp then the new hotels would appear under the TomTom's internal Hotel/motel POI catagory. It looks to me it doesn't work this way.
When you come to select the category you want to use you will have to look for either Fr_Hotels or Sp_Hotels.

Quarkrad wrote:
Perhaps I have to create two new POI catagories - French Hotels and Spain Hotels. (I believe I can combine them into one file but if my logic is right I would still have to create a new catagory. Or is there a way of getting the new Hotels into TomTom's own Hotel/motel catagory?).
You don't have to create a new category. Simply adding the 2 sets of files will be enough. The TT will read them as 2 categories that are additional to what it already has.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: