Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New London Speed Camera System Ready To Go
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New London Speed Camera System Ready To Go
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobBrady
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: New London Speed Camera System Ready To Go Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comFollowing an agreement with the Metropolitan Police and local borough councils, and claimed as a 'UK first', a new average speed camera system will begin operating in East London tomorrow, 31st January.

The cameras, 84 in all, will replace existing fixed and mobile cameras along a stretch of the A13 between Canning Town and the Goresbrook Interchange. They will be spread out along 37 entrance and exit points of the route.

A large portion of the route has had its speed limit increased in preparation for the cameras from 40mph to 50mph, a speed thought more appropriate to the three lane dual carriageway design of the A13. The speed limit across the Lodge Avenue and Canning Town flyovers will remain the same.

Transport for London (TfL) says it's the first initiative in the UK where average speed cameras are installed on a major urban road and added that between 2007 and 2009 there were more than 400 collisions, 37 serious casualties and two fatalities. They hope that the new cameras will reduce accidents by around 30 per cent.

It's also hoped the cameras will cut congestion - TfL says that it takes up to seven hours for accidents along the stretch of A13 from Canning Town flyover to Goresbrook Interchange to be cleared, with the average time being around two hours per collision. This will hopefully mean less lengthy road closures during accident investigations.

PC Simon Wickenden of Chadwell Heath Traffic Management Unit, said: "Experience elsewhere has shown that average speed cameras increase road safety and at the same time better regulate traffic flow."
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I approve of average speed cameras as against single location cameras, I have to say I feel some scepticism as to the expectations for this set. Reduction of 30% looks like they'll still get 275 accidents, 25 serious injuries and 1 death. And anyway, just how serious was it over the period 2007 to 2009? That's a heck of a busy road, so it might be said that 400 accidents in that period isn't a huge number - is it 3 years? 2 accidents a week on a road like that (length, traffic flow) is easy. I hasten to add that I'm not intending to belittle accidents, as even one is a disaster to those involved. But the powers that be do tend to use statistics in a less than fully considered light.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New London Speed Camera System Ready To Go Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
A large portion of the route has had its speed limit increased in preparation for the cameras from 40mph to 50mph, a speed thought more appropriate to the three lane dual carriageway design of the A13. The speed limit across the Lodge Avenue and Canning Town flyovers will remain the same.

I've driven that road. A 40 MPH speed limit on a three lane dual carriage way is utterly ridiculous.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameras are just revenue providers, I think most people know that now.

The pratnerships that still run cameras in some areas have increased the thresholds before you get any points, so they can send you on a speed awareness course which earns them a percentage of the revenue.

If you just take the 3 points and £60 fine, all the money goes to the government. But if you do a speed awareness course which can be over £100, but no points on your licence, the police or councils get to keep a percentage of the revenue.
Rowan29a
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Cameras are just revenue providers, I think most people know that now.

The pratnerships that still run cameras in some areas have increased the thresholds before you get any points, so they can send you on a speed awareness course which earns them a percentage of the revenue.

If you just take the 3 points and £60 fine, all the money goes to the government. But if you do a speed awareness course which can be over £100, but no points on your licence, the police or councils get to keep a percentage of the revenue.

True, but if you go on a speed awareness course and don't get points on your licence then your insurance premium will not be increased as a result. That could be factored in when deciding what action to take.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This business about the awareness courses ... yes they make money (it's even nice to know some ex-coppers are entrepreneurs Wink ); BUT doesn't it make good sense to give speeders ONE opportunity to get the point ( Rolling Eyes ) - but is the tax payer or some charity supposed to pay for the costs of the course instead of the offender?

Can these cynics suggest some other realistic alternative to a straight 3 points + £60? And I'm not thinking of a total amnesty on camera busters:?
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say new cameras do they look different to the average speed cameras now, how far will they be spaced out, with 84 wont that make a sat nav very noisey

How long in miles is this road, anyone got any photos of the section ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: New London Speed Camera System Ready To Go Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
News Team wrote:

I've driven that road. A 40 MPH speed limit on a three lane dual carriage way is utterly ridiculous.

Agreed, I drove it a few days ago. Even 50 seems too slow on a lovely clear road like that.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here anyway.
If they are INCREASING the speed limit, then are they saying the accidents and casualties were NOT due to high speeds but some other factor?

Maybe visible SPECs cameras alter people's driving style, and so they are a benefit, but maybe the speed limit itself could be increased to 60 or even 70 and not affect the accident rates at all?

Maybe being forced to drive unnecessarily slowly increases some drivers impatience and they end up driving more aggressively or recklessly?

We never get the full picture....
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was over that way last week and the ones I saw I didn't see until warned by the database (it was dark), because they were not on the usual visible batman poles that I'm used to seeing.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read here that a Gatso costs £60,000 a year to maintain. Are Specs less costly? Otherwise they're going to need to raise a few bob to make it self-financing. If they are saying control of traffic flow is a consideration, they've left the door open to variable limits.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
GrahamWager
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New London Speed Camera System Ready To Go Reply with quote

News Team wrote:
A large portion of the route has had its speed limit increased in preparation for the cameras from 40mph to 50mph, a speed thought more appropriate to the three lane dual carriageway design of the A13.

Is that so that in a few months, once everyone's used to 50mph, they can drop it to 40mph again to catch some extra people unaware? Or am I just being overly cynical? Twisted Evil

Maybe I shouldn't give them ideas Wink
Klunk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive this route every morning and while I dont like speed cameras I think this is a positive step. 40mph on this road is the most ridiculous speed limit ever. I am hopefull that this will ease congestion in the morning, at least it was better this morning than the last month has been, although the biggest congestion issue is a single set of traffic lights (between Goresbrook and Lodge Avenue) which causes a long tailback. I think the reduction of accidents will be because people will not be doing 60 or 70 and then slamming on the brakes going down to 30 because they have reached a camera.

The stretch of road covered is around 6 miles, each pole has 3 cameras on it and there are 5 or 6 slip roads covered by the stretch.
dazzabird
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive driven this road for more than ten years.

As said earlier the biggest problem westbound is the single set of lights at the "ship and shovel" that causes a lot of congestion.

However increasing the speed limit is a good idea.

Will try to post a few pics later

darren
vicz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So will those previously convicted by the 40mph cameras get their money back, so long as they were going under 50?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vicz wrote:
So will those previously convicted by the 40mph cameras get their money back, so long as they were going under 50?
What do you think Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: