Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Spec's Camera trigger speed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Spec's Camera trigger speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Spec's Camera trigger speed Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been asked before but did a search and could not find it.

Is there a trigger average speed for SPEC's?

I have read that other cameras types have a 5%-10% + 2mph threshold before they trigger (flash you) ie

in a 40 limit a GATSO will flash you if you are doing
5%= 2mph + 2mph = Over 44mph
10% = 4mph + 2mph = Over 46 mph

Is any of the above true and if so back to my question does this also apply for SPEC's cameras? or will you be done if your doing 1 mph above the limit.

Thanks in advance
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your figures above MIGHT be true in SOME circumstances, but you can't rely on them

The "10% plus 2" calculation is a quite widely used guideline suggested in some Police internal publications as a sensible figure to use for prosecution.

But it is ONLY a guideline. Any camera can be set to trigger at any speed they like (hopefully somewhere above the speed limit!)

SPECS are just the same. There are likely to be some guidelines for setting them up, which will give you some lee-way on the speed, but you'd be mad to assume they are always going to be like that.
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've always thought that as SPECS is digital and has to record every vehicle's number plate at a "start" and an "end" camera then the SPECS system will calculate, record, and store every vehicle's average speed, both above and below the set limit for that system. Computer storage is so cheap nowadays.

The operator of the SPECS system then just needs to ask the system to produce a list of vehicles that exceeded the set speed limit by x miles per hour as technically you could be in an area with zero tolerance on speeding so you could be done for doing 41 mph in a 40 mph zone.

So to answer your question, the "tolerance" for speeding will probably depend on the authority that controls each SPECS system.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.... its a moot point as to whether the system 1. ONLY logs/saves the registration numbers of cars speeding or 2. remembers them ALL and can produce lists of the ones going too fast.

As the 'powers that be' seem to have no hesitation in spying on every last detail of our lives these days, I know which method *I* reckon they use.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yes.... its a moot point as to whether the system 1. ONLY logs/saves the registration numbers of cars speeding or 2. remembers them ALL and can produce lists of the ones going too fast.

As the 'powers that be' seem to have no hesitation in spying on every last detail of our lives these days, I know which method *I* reckon they use.

I'd say it photographs all of them and keeps them for 10 years....
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
The operator of the SPECS system then just needs to ask the system to produce a list of vehicles that exceeded the set speed limit by x miles per hour as technically you could be in an area with zero tolerance on speeding so you could be done for doing 41 mph in a 40 mph zone.

I always understood that the calibration was 10% to allow for differences between their speed measure and your vehicles speed, plus 2mph, apparently, because all vehicles are manufactured with speedos that include 2 mph faster than the actual speed. So to get you for 41 in a 40 zone your speedo would be reading 47mph. But what do I know...?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As several have said, these are just guidelines. Any force that wants to set their cameras lower or higher, can do.

You can be "done" for being 1mph over the limit.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And as Guivre46 says, at 41mph your speedo would NOT be reading 41, it'd be displaying considerably more, so it would be your own fault for "momentarily, inadvertently, straying over the limit", to quote that oft-misused daft phrase (aka "falsehood").

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Surely the system MUST log all reg nos, as they need this to calculate the distance/time hence speed between two cams. Surely it's a case of 'Do they delete the record for cars not exceding the limit'? As storage is fairly cheap, and each record would only need to be quite small, I know which way I suspect they would be going even if such data seems irrelevant now. Of course they may hace a 'clear out' every now and then.

@DennisN
The occasional hypothetical 'momentary drift over the limit' will not get you in a SPECS zone, provided that it is accompanied bu a corresponding occasional hypothetical ''momentary drift under the limit'. But you knew that anyway didn't you.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno - I just don't "momentarily, inadvertently stray over the limit" because I advertently stay under it. Rolling Eyes

Just one word on keeping details - each vehicle needs one line of data per camera. Most (but not all) areas of Specs cameras have a high vehicle flow rate - it'll be many thousands a day. Cheap though storage may be, they can't keep that rate up too long (or am I being naiive?), not least because the volume would make it hard work searching for any records? On reflection, I'm being naiive - a Google search takes Xths of a second and comes up with several zillion results.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I dunno - I just don't "momentarily, inadvertently stray over the limit" because I advertently stay under it. Rolling Eyes
Sorry Dennis, although I started with an @DennisN, heaven forbid that I would be suggesting that you would even remotely ever "momentarily, inadvertently stray over the limit". The cut and thrust of my wittering was that SPECS do not have a trigger speed, and going a bit fast between two of them can be cancelled out by slowing down a bit between the same two cams. I was on the M25 cc from the QE2 bridge a couple of Fridays ago and I think thetmy iGO suggested that I had averaged 4MPH between the first two cams and i never "momentarily, inadvertently strayd over the limit" once.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One issue is that in the first generation SPECS you could be prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit between one pair of cameras. So slowing down in the nest pair would not put you in the clear.

Technically you could be prosecuted for exceeding the limit between between each pair individually but I'm told that an ACPO agreement means this won't happen.

SPECS3 use an average over the entire section, in which case, if you do 'inadvertently' stray over the limit you can mitigate that by slowing down to reduce your average for the section.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's OK to hammer down the motorway at 95, then pull into the services for a wee? Pull the other one!

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So it's OK to hammer down the motorway at 95, then pull into the services for a wee? Pull the other one!

I'm explaining the technicalities, not justifying or excusing driver behaviour.

And unless there were service stops in every SPECS zone that could never be an option nor would I condone such behaviour.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(or am I being naiive?)

Of course they're not watching you....

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Non-Technical Speed Camera Discussions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: