Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mototrola V600 / O2 / TTN3 / Traffic Help Please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mototrola V600 / O2 / TTN3 / Traffic Help Please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Mototrola V600 / O2 / TTN3 / Traffic Help Please Reply with quote

Good Afternoon,

I am approaching OAP status and not a "proper" technophobe 8O but I can manage most things computer/PDA related. The discussions elsewhere have, I'm afraid, not helped me to understand how to get the TT Traffic combination working. My (new) phone has access to (and works with) O2's Active GPRS Service, but I cannot seem to figure out what to do next.

I haven't yet downloaded/registered for the 3 month free TomTom trial as I would like to understand how to set it all up first and anticipate that it will (more or less) work "out of the box".

Any help to clarify what to do would be *very* welcome and I have 10 days in which to change my mobile phone should there be a "better" solution. Set Up is:

HP 2210, ROM Vn 1.10, with TTN3, Vn 3.01 and BT Driver 3.02, and TT Bluetooth Rx with maps stored on 512 CF card. All running well at the moment.

I also have a 3970 running Win 2002, Socket BT, TTN3 (second license), 512 M SD and/or 512 CF card in a "jacket in my wife's vehicle so the opportunities exist to move away from the 2210 if that would ease any prospective issue.

With an impending 2000 mile (UK only holiday) starting on Wednesday, I would welcome the opportunity to use this facility during the journeys we have planned (fly fishing all over UK).

Thanks in advance to anyone who may offer help either via the board or email here.

Regards,

Maurice.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your kit should be fine.

TomTom Traffic requires Internet GPRS connectivity. A full walk-through is very hard to provide, but firstly open this post for background information. Hopefully you won't need it, but there's some more details there.

These instructions are for Pocket PC 2003 machines using the Widcomm Bluetooth stack, which is what modern iPAQs use. Some older Pocket PC 2002 iPAQs are a bit different.

Do all of this without your Pocket PC being connected to ActiveSync.

Turn the Bluetooth on your phone and your iPAQ on. If you have the ability to control the Bluetooth visibility of the phone, make sure that it's visible for this first step.

Go into the iPAQ's Bluetooth Manager. Press New!, then Connect. Choose "Partner with a cell phone", then "". Tap where indicated to select the phone and select your phone once found. You then need to choose a numerical passkey, which you will also enter on your phone.

You can then select "Use this phone as default connection to the Internet" and choose New Connection... to create a new Internet connection.

Call your connection "O2 GPRS", which is just for your reference (obviously you're using O2, so this is a logical name - if you're not using O2 name suitably!). Make the phone number *99***1# and leave the rest blank.

Once you've completed these steps, you can make the phone invisible to other Bluetooth devices (highly recommended).

You then need to finish configuring the connection - close the Bluetooth Manager and leave Bluetooth on. Start Menu, Settings, Connections tab, Connections. Tap "Manage my existing connections", then select the connection you created earlier, then chooose Edit. Tap Next a couple of times until you see User name: and Password:. For O2, these are apparently "username" and "password" (in both cases without the " marks).

Tap Advanced...

Make the baud rate 115200 if it isn't already.

The Extra dial-string modem commands: needs to reflect the GPRS APN for your network. For O2, this is mobile.o2.co.uk, so enter here:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","mobile.o2.co.uk"

The rest of these settings can be left as default unless you find that you need to manually enter DNS settings, in which case, this is done on the Servers tab (choose "Use specific server address" and enter the two DNS server IP addresses for your network in DNS and Alt DNS).

Tap OK at the top right of the screen, then Finish.

You should then be able to tap and hold over the setting name, and choose Connect. Go into Pocket Internet Explorer, and make sure you have a visible address bar (if not, turn it on in the View menu). Enter the BBC News Online address http://news.bbc.co.uk/text_only.stm

If everything has gone according to plan, your iPAQ will load the low graphics BBC News Online page over GPRS. If it doesn't work there's various possibilities - one of which is that your O2 account isn't set up to allow you to use Internet GPRS.

If you have this working, you're then set to complete the TomTom Traffic setup. You have to go to an address in Pocket Internet Explorer as part of the setup - if you do this over GPRS it will check that your GPRS setup is working correctly before you start your Traffic trial.

The only wrinkle remaining is that at the moment TomTom Navigator doesn't autodial the GPRS connection when you need it. One way to do this is, before starting Navigator, turn on Bluetooth, then tap the connection symbol next to the speaker at the top of your Pocket PC's screen. If you wait a few seconds, you'll see the name of your default connection (which should be the GPRS one you created) showing - tap on the phone number to connect.

To disconnect once you've quit Navigator, do the same thing and press the Disconnect button.

If you want to monitor your GPRS usage, consider Spb's excellent GPRS Monitor (make sure in the options you tell it to monitor the connection you've created for your GPRS).

I hope that covers everything. There are inevitably some gaps, not least because I don't know your exact phone. Post again if this doesn't work - I hope this is a comprehensive walk through that I can keep referring people to. Indeed, please reply if this does work!

Obviously different mobile phone networks use different APN, user name and password settings. Vodafone contract is "internet" for the APN, user name and password are both "web" (without the quotes). I believe Orange contract is "orangeinternet" (pre-pay is "payginternet"), and the user name and password are both blank.

David
Paladin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Thank you for a swift and comprehensive reply. I will print this and, during the next day or so, try this out. I was not expecting such a quick reply and we are just going out. Rest assured, I will post either way as to the whether this does/does not work.

Again, my thanks,

Maurice. Thumbs Up
Paladin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Well now, I have had the opportunity to try this and herewith the report.

Backup current working system, Sprite Backup Pro;
Install per your comprehensive instructions and check;
For the first half dozen times it didn't work, unable to get a connection;
Restore from backup;
On the 7th try it just worked as it should.
Backup again.

Quite why it took this many installs, I know not, but I'm convinced I did everything the same way each time, however it's now going.

Just off to the TomTom site to register and download.

Thanks for the data Thumbs Up

Best Regards,

Maurice. Rolling Eyes
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always the possibility of a small typo somewhere in one of the setup strings - they're not the easiest thing to type into a Pocket PC.

I was going to suggest that you double checked you hadn't stayed connected to ActiveSync (and hence had a connection that way) on the time it worked - anyway, I'm glad that you appear to have got it working.

I'd suggest that the definitive test to check your GPRS Internet connection works in car is to start with Navigator in the map screen, a GPS position lock and a GPRS Internet connection. Switch to Internet Explorer and check you can browse the BBC News Online site over GPRS. If you can, then you should be all set for TomTom Traffic.

This will find issues that you can't find out of the car, such as your hands free setup preventing a GPRS connection over Bluetooth (for those users who use a mobile phone over Bluetooth).

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing a bit of thread merging - "dunno" posted asking for instructions for the same setup as Paladin in this thread - and it seemed more sensible to me to put all discussion about the use of an iPAQ (in dunno's case a 2210) with a V600 and O2 in this thread, as it also contains my supposed instructions.

I've locked dunno's thread simply to try to keep things together (I know it's not always easy to find relevant old forum posts, no matter how hard you look).

David
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats ok ,i've come to this thread anyway to try out i've followed everything but it still doesn't work ,am going to phone o2 to see if everything is ok that side
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after a week of trying i have finally got my phone to work with gprs ,I've tried my pda as well , it connects via mobile fine as it shows up gprs connected on phone but it is still not connecting to traffic ,
I've tried that BBC page on explorer but it keeps on saying page not found but is connected ,any ideas will be appreciated

will keep trying to sort
thanks
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david what settings do need to put on t68i to sett the phone up
for gprs using 02

apn
user id
password
or any one could pls help

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like i'm down to access denied by traffic
i'm o2 using username :& password as access,only wird thing is if i use that advanced string it refuses to even dial so i've removed it & i'm also not using dialing rules that doesn''t connect either, what should the password be i've left it blank used my traffic log in & even used my log in account name all fail,
the one thing that does after i have put in my password it always seems to add anoth 8 characters on afterwards that i havn't entered

i'm so close ,it's frustrating ,i'm gonna have a big bill to pay as well cos i keep connecting
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE i got it to work twice so far ,and i ain't got a clue how i did it

thanks for the help on this page though
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats how it usually happens
Laughing Laughing Mr. Green Mr. Green

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DavidW"]Your kit should be fine.

The only wrinkle remaining is that at the moment TomTom Navigator doesn't autodial the GPRS connection when you need it.
To disconnect once you've quit Navigator, do the same thing and press the Disconnect button.

David, Just upgraded my XDA and subscibed to TT Traffic free trial. Set traffic to connect via GPRS via my O2 contract every 15 minutes.

I start TT by pressing the top right button on the XDA which is assigned to CheckPOInt 2.0.2.0 which then runs TT. After 15 minutes TT traffic connects and updates the traffic info itself and continues to do so every 15 minutes during the journey.

On exiting TT, the XDA returns to the To Day Screen and a couple of seconds later the GPRS disconnects itself, and switches back to the mobile phone. I assume that while TT and traffic are running the mobile phone is unable to recieve calls, whilst this is not a problem as the radio in the car which is a Vauxhaul CDR700 and has its own sim card for the phone and I use this one whilst driving.

If the XDA is sat in its desktop cradle and connected to the PC via a USB cable and I run TT then tell it to update traffic it connects via Active Sync and my T1 rather than via GPRS.

I assume that this is normal behaviour of the XDA due to the fact that it is a PDA and Mobile Phone all in one unit.

Whilst I don't have any problems with TT or the XDA in daily use, I have a new XDA II upgrade arriving next week from O2. As I use a wired TT GPS reciever, would I still be ok using the wired one with the XDA II or should I go for a Bluetooth one? and if so which one.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i asy i have fixd it i have now i can't stop it from connecting Sad ,talk about from 1 extream to the other ,is there a way to stop it doing this , it ain't a problem , but i'm sure there must be a way

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: