Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advance planning in Navigon
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advance planning in Navigon
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Advance planning in Navigon Reply with quote

Hi all

Running v1.6 of Navigon on a 32Gb iPhone 3GS under IOS 4.0.2.

Please can anybody explain how advance planning is supposed to work? I can get as far as calculating a route, but cannot see how to get details (road by road, duration, etc) for this route, other than an overview picture on screen which I can zoom and scroll.

Thanks in advance.

Gary.

Last edited by GarySN on Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Advanced planning in Navigon Reply with quote

Wow. 31 have expressed that Navigon is their favourite satnav software in the sticky poll at the top of this forum. There have been 37 views of my question and not a single response. Surprised
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by advanced planning? do you mean 'planning in advance' (i.e. seeing the route before you set off) or 'advanced planning' (where advanced is the opposite of basic/simple) ?

for the former simply go to main menu, tap on '...' in the botom right for 'more' then press 'Route'. add your various destinations / points (waypoints) and reorder as required.

for the former simply 'Start Navigation', select 'options' (top right of map screen) then scroll down to 'turn-by-turn list' to see the instructions.

MaFt
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
for the former simply go to main menu, tap on '...' in the botom right for 'more' then press 'Route'. add your various destinations / points (waypoints) and reorder as required.
It is this that I am having the problem with. Having created the destinations and got a calculated route, I can see no way of getting details displayed.

My options are:
Start Navigation at top left of screen

More at bottom of screen. Pressing this gives:
MyRoutes (gives three optional calculations; selecting any of these attempts to begin navigation)
Route Profile
Save Route
Simulation
Weather Service

None of the above does what I'm looking for, which is simply to see details of the calulated route.

Any advice gratefully received.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
simply 'Start Navigation', select 'options' (top right of map screen) then scroll down to 'turn-by-turn list' to see the instructions.

MaFt
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
MaFt wrote:
simply 'Start Navigation', select 'options' (top right of map screen) then scroll down to 'turn-by-turn list' to see the instructions.

MaFt
Ah. This seems to be the nub of the problem. If I have no GPS signal (because I'm sitting indoors trying to plan the next leg of my trip) I am offered the choice of 'Simulation' or 'Cancel', so no options to choose from. Will have to sit closer to the window in future!

Thanks for your help.

Gary.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarySN wrote:
Ah. This seems to be the nub of the problem. If I have no GPS signal (because I'm sitting indoors trying to plan the next leg of my trip) I am offered the choice of 'Simulation' or 'Cancel', so no options to choose from. Will have to sit closer to the window in future!

Ah, now I see Smile I get a GPS signal at home as I work in the attic and the iPhone 4's GPS is a lot more sensitive then my older 3G.

MaFt
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: I still don't get it Reply with quote

Right then.

Finally got to the point where I have a GPS signal and can tap the calculate button, which Navigon duly does, but from my existing location! Trying to see how long it'll take me to do a journey starting at Paris Airport. Seems I can't use Navigon to do this until I'm actually there.

What's advance about that? Mad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a route planning option on your iphone app (by pressing 'options' INSTEAD of 'start navigation'?) There is on the stand-alone devices, and the functionality is supposed to be broadly the same.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you are right`! i'd missed that!!

main menu - more - route

add your start points and end points etc

MaFt
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Nope. Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Isn't there a route planning option on your iphone app (by pressing 'options' INSTEAD of 'start navigation'?) There is on the stand-alone devices, and the functionality is supposed to be broadly the same.

Having created a route and tapped 'Calculate the Route' , I get an overview map. At this point, 'Options' appears to have been replaced by 'More'. Pressing this gives:

MyRoutes
Route Profile
Save Route
Simulation
Weather Service

Tapping MyRoutes gives three optional calculations with overall journey times. I'd like to be able to select any of them to see a route summary, but selecting any of them attempts to begin navigation.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I'm firing in the dark here GarySN, but I'm hoping the functionality is still very close between iphone and latest standalone versions.

The manual I am trying to learn at the mo (not iPhone - Navigon don't seem in any hurry to produce one) says:

[i]"Simulating routes

It is also possible simply to simulate navigation on a planned route.
Note: GPS reception is not necessary for simulation.

If you have planned a multi-leg route, only the first leg will be simulated.

You have calculated and displayed a route.

1. Tap on Options - Simulation.

If you have planned a route with only one route point and the
MyRoutes function is activated, you will be prompted to select
a route for the simulation.

The route will be recalculated for simulation purposes.

2. Tap on the button of the route on which you want to simulate the
navigation."

If this doesn't match what you are trying to do, I suggest you carry on experimenting, and also download/look at one of the new series standalone manuals - probably the 70 Series. What you are looking for IS in that iPhone (somewhere)! Cool
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk - yep, that works:

menu - more - route - new route - [add start/end points and save if required] - calculate the route (shows overview map) - more - simulation - [simulation starts] - options (top right) - turn-by-turn list

all sorted Smile

MaFt
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well - 'give and you shall receive'!! I've had a problem with T-by-T not working properly on my unit which I asked Navigon about. This exchange prompted me to try another route through the menus and, lo and behold, problem solved Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re my reference to manuals. Navigon have pointed me to an FAQ for the iPhone, which while probably not as detailed as specific manuals might be, does at least give a reasonable summary of the functions. I guess they are doing it this way while the development is fairly fluid. It is at
Quote:
http://www.navigon.com/portal/de/kundenservice/faq.html?id=10844420&conte...nt_identifier=faq&page=1&faqTopic=iphone
So a starting point, though I'd probably still suggest checking one of the New Series Manuals for detailed guidance/ideas for particular queries.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: